C4 Forums | Control4

Alarm Contact Sensors

eggzlot

So this morning around 6:30am our alarm went off due to an open window.  Finally figured out which window and cleaned off the contact, open/closed the window a few times, and finally registered as "closed".

Our windows all use those little flush magnets.  This is the 4th or 5th time this has happened on 2-3 different windows over the last 3 years.  So I cannot pinpoint a bad contact or wire since its random.  My alarm installer (not a c4 dealer) told me its when the wood contracts/expands and usually I thought he said it happens in the fall/winter.

Anyways we are considering a big home renovation which would include changing out all the windows to newer more efficient windows.  Are these little magnet sensors still the best options on the market?  What do other people use for a reliable plus clean look?

If it matters I am using a DSC panel, though I figure the wiring/contact sensors are fairly standard among the major alarm systems.

You can still use the wired flush magnets, but you might consider those with a slightly wider gap to account for the expansion.

On this website they have 1", 3/4", 3/8", 1/2" gap options for example. I would look up the model number of the existing ones and try to find the next gap size up. But also, if you are changing windows to more efficient ones, it may be less susceptible due to a different material type.

http://www.seco-larm.com/Security/magnetic-contacts/Recessed-Mount

4 hours ago, thecodeman said:

You can still use the wired flush magnets, but you might consider those with a slightly wider gap to account for the expansion.

On this website they have 1", 3/4", 3/8", 1/2" gap options for example. I would look up the model number of the existing ones and try to find the next gap size up. But also, if you are changing windows to more efficient ones, it may be less susceptible due to a different material type.

http://www.seco-larm.com/Security/magnetic-contacts/Recessed-Mount

Thanks!  

Gap size is how much space can be between the magnets before the window sensor is considered "open" ?

I've never looked at buying windows before, so this will be a first.  I see they come in wood, vinyl, and fiberglass.  Not that I am buying the window based on the material that works best with an alarm sensor, though that could be one of the factors I use to decide.  Any material better than another?

On 4/25/2017 at 0:26 PM, eggzlot said:

Thanks!  

Gap size is how much space can be between the magnets before the window sensor is considered "open" ?

I've never looked at buying windows before, so this will be a first.  I see they come in wood, vinyl, and fiberglass.  Not that I am buying the window based on the material that works best with an alarm sensor, though that could be one of the factors I use to decide.  Any material better than another?

Yes, thats what the gap is about.

No opinion on window material.

Archived