C4 Forums | Control4

HomeKit Driver - Now With Thermostats and Security

Varietas Software is pleased to announce the release of version 1.6 of our Homebridge driver.  This new version supports thermostats.  In addition, for those folks using either our network appliance hardware or our appliance OS image, we now support secured connections between the driver and the appliance.  This prevents unauthorized tinkering with your home by outside parties.

Version 1.6 is available for download now, along with the updated appliance firmware and homebridge plugin.

This is very exciting:

I just updated to the newest 1.6 driver and cannot get the Thermostats to import.  The driver was updated to 1.6 and I rebooted the controller.  I then went into the Homekit web interface (I purchased through Varietas) and updated the control4 plugin and Appliance firmware to the most recent suggested.  Upon rebooting I received the warning:

"WARNING: The network appliance server configuration has been updated. Please reboot the appliance by unplugging it and plugging it back in again. This insures all updated settings have been applied. If you do not do this now, unexpected behavior may result."

I rebooted the Homekit server appliance and still receive the same Warning message to reboot the server,  I tried a second time without resolution.  I then tried re-importing the Config from Control4 and do not see any thermostats.  Any suggestions?

11 minutes ago, digitaltrader said:

This is very exciting:

I just updated to the newest 1.6 driver and cannot get the Thermostats to import.  The driver was updated to 1.6 and I rebooted the controller.  I then went into the Homekit web interface (I purchased through Varietas) and updated the control4 plugin and Appliance firmware to the most recent suggested.  Upon rebooting I received the warning:

"WARNING: The network appliance server configuration has been updated. Please reboot the appliance by unplugging it and plugging it back in again. This insures all updated settings have been applied. If you do not do this now, unexpected behavior may result."

I rebooted the Homekit server appliance and still receive the same Warning message to reboot the server,  I tried a second time without resolution.  I then tried re-importing the Config from Control4 and do not see any thermostats.  Any suggestions?

Plenty of suggestions. 

1) Validate communications - The new 1.6 driver has security in it. If you installed the new version, security should be disabled by default. Make sure it's turned off in both the driver and appliance to start with. If things are working, then you should see the Control4 driver version (1.6) listed in the web page. If you don't see that, it's not talking with the driver. 

Also, go to Composer and make sure that the driver license looks good and that the server status says "Running". 

2) Verify setup on appliance - Unplug the appliance and plug it back in. Go to the web portal and see what it says. Refresh the page. The warning it's putting up there is because it's trying to adjust a web server configuration that needed changing to support larger numbers of Control4 devices. If you keep getting that message, then your internal config may have been adjusted already. Contact me directly via email and I can get that cleaned up for you. Most of my units shouldn't have this issue, but it's pretty easy to resolve. 

Just now, digitaltrader said:

Early on you remoted into my system to allow more than 100 devices and I had to hide some of them

Ok. That's definitely why, and easy to fix. I knew I'd done this for two folks, and I couldn't remember exactly what I'd set both of them to. My upgrade scripts handled the one setting I remembered installing, but looks like I missed yours. All the other devices out there will upgrade with no problems. 

Contact me via email and we can get your settings updated to match my release, and that'll be that. While we're at it, I can take a once over on the rest of your setup and make sure you're ship shape. 

Did the 1.6 upgrade this morning.  For those not running on the network appliance, remember to do an 'sudo npm update -g homebridge-control4'.  I forgot this step, and was scratching my head for a few minutes trying to figure out why things wouldn't work.

Kudos to Joshua on the driver.  Love.  It.

5 minutes ago, Neter66 said:

Did the 1.6 upgrade this morning.  For those not running on the network appliance, remember to do an 'sudo npm update -g homebridge-control4'.  I forgot this step, and was scratching my head for a few minutes trying to figure out why things wouldn't work.

Kudos to Joshua on the driver.  Love.  It.

Very glad to hear that you're enjoying my work!  For any of you out there that are happy with your setup and the capability it offers, I would greatly appreciate reviews on the HouseLogix listing for my driver.  The more folks who give me positive reviews there, the more credibility I have that this is a working system. :)

And of course, if any of you are out there and something isn't working right, please allow me the opportunity to get you fixed up.  I support my systems 100%, and I'm sure I can turn your experience into a good one, if I have missed the mark somehow so far.

5 minutes ago, eddy.trochez said:

Joshua,

My doorbell is showing up as a camera in HomeKit. Does the new driver support cameras?

I put an explanation for this under another thread.  Here's the summary:

In iOS 10, Apple doesn't support stand-alone doorbells.  Doorbells only function if a HomeKit compatible video camera is placed in the same room, or if the "doorbell" is a native video doorbell (like Doorbird).  To get around that limitation, my driver includes a "non-working" video device in its configuration for the doorbell.  The video camera doesn't work, but the doorbell does what it's supposed to.  In iOS 11, the rumor mill says that Apple will be supporting stand-alone doorbells properly.  At that point, you can tweak a setting in the setup to remove the camera, and it'll just show up as a regular old doorbell device.

2 minutes ago, digitaltrader said:

This has been one of the best drivers I have in my Control4 system (and I have many).  Josh has provided amazing support and continues to add functionality.

He's not kidding.  His project is humongous.  

Thanks for bearing with me while I work out all the little device and driver issues.  You've got a lot more in your system than I have to test with here, so your willingness to let me test things out with your stuff is quite appreciated. :)

• 3 weeks later...

This driver doesn't pull HomeKit devices into C4. It pulls C4 devices into HomeKit.

I support dimmers, lights, switches, contact sensors, garage doors, doors, windows, locks, thermostats, and security systems. You can also integrate other things using "dummy switches" and custom programming. 

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Joshua Pressnell said:

Yes.  The HomePod is a HomeKit connected device, so with my solution you can control your entire Control4 system with HomePod as well.

Cool - How do I go about getting this setup on my Raspberrypi in the first instance...  If the docker image isn't coming that is......

8 minutes ago, RobbieF said:

Cool - How do I go about getting this setup on my Raspberrypi in the first instance...  If the docker image isn't coming that is......

I haven't forgotten about the docker image, and it's still something I want to pursue at some point, but the more I've looked at it, the more I've realized that it will have some pretty significant challenges.  My OS image is designed to automatically reconfigure the OS to spin up services as needed when the device counts go beyond what can be supported by a single service, and it's tapped into other parts of the OS internally.  Since docker uses a fixed image, I need to figure out how to map all the portions of the disk that need to be dynamically modified into a local data directory.  I've just been mostly focused on improving the core product, working out bugs discovered as my user base has increased, and improving the overall capability (new device support, etc).  Docker is still in the cards, but I don't think it'll be a near-term thing.

As for getting an rPi setup, PM me. :)

Archived