C4 Forums | Control4

Changing surround sound mode

Just interested to know how other people handle this:

I have my lounge receiver default to 'auto select' the best sound mode when my source is 'Sky', 'TV' or 'Apple TV'

This works well for watching TV and movies etc, but if I am using Youtube for music, I often want to have 5ch stereo instead of some form of pro logic or DTS etc...

The receiver is Harmon Kardon and to change sound mode, you need to go through all the modes to find the one you want - not just push a single button.

You can generally add some programming under the specific room.

When video seclection DIRECTV... is selected as watch source in living room change surround sound mode on Harmon Harmon to multichannel stereo (DTS, prologic.....)

you can also add a custom button on remote ".." Is pushed set surround sound mode to multichannel stereo 

My current thought is to have a macro to run all the commands required to change the sound from one setting to another, and another macro to set it back again. (given there does not appear to be discrete ir codes for each sound mode)

I'd then have a variable to track which mode it is in.

Or;

What are peoples thoughts on creating a new instance of the 'Apple TV' and calling it 'Apple TV Music' for example.

The receiver would have another source used up (though no additional physical connections are needed) And therefore the receiver can control the sound mode using pre defined settings. - Thoughts?

I've got something similar to your dummy AppleTV setup (my dealer did this so I am not 100% sure of the logistics but it works well).

I also have a macro set up that manages 3 (2 in your case) setups.  I have the macro programmed to execute when certain sources are activated and I also have the ability to control it directly (from my SR260 and from Experience Buttons).  You would need to use Custom Buttons (24 per screen) although Experience Buttons is slightly better as you can then get visual feedback on the mode directly on your Touchscreen.

In summary, your thought process seems to be spot on!

All the sound modes are displaying for the driver, but none of them work.

I think my dealer just chose a driver for a random receiver and then manually coded the IR codes for all the options we use.

If there were discrete codes for the HK avr range for surround modes, then I'd be happy - but there does not seem to be.

I'll have to code a macro and track which mode it's in.

On 5/14/2017 at 6:01 PM, brucecampbell said:

All the sound modes are displaying for the driver, but none of them work.

I think my dealer just chose a driver for a random receiver and then manually coded the IR codes for all the options we use.

If there were discrete codes for the HK avr range for surround modes, then I'd be happy - but there does not seem to be.

I'll have to code a macro and track which mode it's in.

could be that there is no specific driver for the model and some drivers do not have that feature.

what is the model of your avr

your model is not available so it would be a guessing game or learning as i think you said was done. so if you remote has the discrete buttons on them for each mode you can learn them in or maybe able to find the codes online for your model but you will be hunting something down and creating a customer driver for it for sure.

4 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

your model is not available so it would be a guessing game or learning as i think you said was done. so if you remote has the discrete buttons on them for each mode you can learn them in or maybe able to find the codes online for your model but you will be hunting something down and creating a customer driver for it for sure.

Thanks for checking

I think I'm stuck with a macro to to run each command, as to change the sound mode using the remote, it is a case of clicking the button until the required one is selected....no discrete code/button push

Cheers.

Archived