C4 Forums | Control4

Suppress SONY TV Software Updates

Anyone familiar with a way to suppress the SONY TV software update diag box? The TV menu seems to give the option for prompted or automatic updates, but not NO updates.

The problem we are having is that all updates reset the TV IP addresses and then they loose the system. We use them purely as displays - I'm guessing the updates are truly for folks using the android features etc. If I could do everything over - I'd have purchased displays from sharp or NEC.

Willing to try custom firmware or anything. It has my partner wondering why we spent so much on an automated system he cant control (not understanding that the TVs are not C4's problem).

MAC reservations create a table in the DHCP server to specify specific IP addresses for devices with specific MAC addresses.  When the TVs come online and ask the DHCP server for an IP address the DHCP server will recognize the MAC address of the TV and only give it the specified IP address.  This will always keep the device at the same IP address.  

I've gone back to using IR emitters for TVs that are just monitors. We do not even connect the tv to the network in these cases except up on initial setup for a firmware update.  

We try to not use smart tv features in our installs (Roku or Apple TV instead).  For simple on/off and input control there is no need to go with IP control that I can see - seems more risk than it is worth.   A little super glue on the IR emitter and that sucker isn't coming off because someone dusted the tv. 

Archived