C4 Forums | Control4

Blinds - what is the latest and greatest?

I am on 2.9 so I think I have access to the new proxy?  I am looking to potentially do some remodeling of the house and that may include a gut job of the kitchen and master bedroom.  So in those areas, will have exposed walls, so I am thinking it may be of interest to do some motorized/automated blinds.  With the walls open I can easily run wiring to eliminate wireless and batteries.  I am assuming 1 Ethernet by shade/window/blind is needed?  

Q Motion, Hunter Douglas, anything else?  And I can pick any material to work on the motorized shade hardware?  My wife is going to want to look at them aesthetically, but behind the scenes I'd like to know what plays well with C4.  Would prefer a certified C4 driver to keep costs down and support to a minimum, but I would look at 3rd party drivers if they offer up more functionality or access to other hardware/blinds I would not have access to with the C4 drivers.

With the walls open, now is the time to run wire.  The wire you run will depend on the shades you choose.  I would run 1 cat6 and 1 shielded 18/4 to each window just to be safe.  You may even want to put a power outlet at each shade location.

QMotion - the QIS system uses cat6 to power them. You will also need to buy the Qmotion power distribution unit, and all of the cat6 will need to be run centrally to this unit.  Communication is over Zigbee, but is native to c4

Lutron - You would need low voltage power to each shade (either a power outlet or 18/4).   Chances are you'd do RadioRA so you would need a Lutron dealer to set that up for you.  Again, power would be direct, but communication would be wireless via RadioRA

Somfy - they have a ton of different shade and communication methods. I know a lot of their powered shades use RS485 connectors to communicate and then use either AC or DC to power them. If AC< you'll need power locally, if DC, you can send it over the 18/4.  They also have some motors that can accept a zigbee module that is native to C4.  I'm not as familiar with Somfy - you would need to work with a Somfy dealer for full info

I don't know anything about Hunter Douglas.

Thanks - so interesting, all control is going to be wireless via RadioRa or Zigbee.  No way to hardwire for both power and control?

Noise is not a huge factor but obviously quieter the better.  Are they all about equal?

And again you are open to any fabric you want?  If I looked at Lutron, anything from lutronfabrics.com would work?

19 minutes ago, Thatguy230 said:

Also most expensive 

thanks - I am sure I'll wind up pricing at least 2 options.  I would like to at least look at these motorized blinds for the kitchen and master bedroom, depending on cost I could even look at 1-2 other rooms too.

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

Thanks - so interesting, all control is going to be wireless via RadioRa or Zigbee.  No way to hardwire for both power and control?

Of course, most manufacturers have options for direct control motors, and those can always be controlled via relays, be it via an external system (ESI for example - great but expensive, still allowing external control) or via C4 relays or if high voltage external relays AND c4 relays.

2 hours ago, Home Theater Advisors said:

Somfy - they have a ton of different shade and communication methods. I know a lot of their powered shades use RS485 connectors to communicate and then use either AC or DC to power them. If AC< you'll need power locally, if DC, you can send it over the 18/4.  They also have some motors that can accept a zigbee module that is native to C4.  I'm not as familiar with Somfy - you would need to work with a Somfy dealer for full info

Somfy is not a shade fabricator, they are a shade parts manufacturer?

Somfy products make shades made by fabricators operable and or automated.  They are not a shade fabricator, they are component in a fabricated shade made by numerous companies.

3 minutes ago, THEORY said:

Somfy products make shades made by fabricators operable and or automated.  They are not a shade fabricator, they are component in a fabricated shade made by numerous companies.

Correct   An end user would go to a shading professional and buy shades with somfy motors in them.  You can't walk into Home Depot and buy somfy shades  

A good rule of thumb (at least here in NYC) is $2000 per window/shade.  Less expensive if you have multiple windows next to each other and couple the shades onto one motor. 

Yikes.  I am in Bergen County so not far out of NYC and if its $2k per window/shade I think my wife will have other ideas.  I'll have to get someone out to do some spec work and estimates.  I am sure the motor adds something to the price but we worked with a local shop to do drapes, blinds, fascia and all misc hardware measure and installed from a hunter douglas professional and it wasnt much over that price and like I said that included custom drapes, not just blinds/fascia.  They did all measurements, installation, etc.

Correct   An end user would go to a shading professional and buy shades with somfy motors in them.  You can't walk into Home Depot and buy somfy shades  

http://homedepot.baliblinds.com/motorized_treatments/index.jsp

http://lowes.baliblinds.com/motorized_treatments/index.jsp

looks like home depot and lowes (and JCPenny and Menards) all sell Somfy blinds/motors to the DIY customer.  Wonder if the hardware is the same and could integrate into C4 with the proper drivers?  Anyone with experience?

10 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

http://homedepot.baliblinds.com/motorized_treatments/index.jsp

http://lowes.baliblinds.com/motorized_treatments/index.jsp

looks like home depot and lowes (and JCPenny and Menards) all sell Somfy blinds/motors to the DIY customer

Correct.  You can buy shades with somfy motors in them.  Not somfy shades

2 minutes ago, Home Theater Advisors said:

Correct.  You can buy shades with somfy motors in them.  Not somfy shades

fair enough - i dont think most customers know/care who makes the fabric :-)  At least on an automation forum they are looking at the hardware/control.  If the wife likes the fabric and I like the integration and we both like the price point, we have a winner.

Would these Bali/Somfy blinds work with the C4 drivers?  Any one know the Somfy hardware used on the Bali product?  Sonesse 30 or 40 or 50?

You're going to spend about 1k per window if you go the route of Serena/hunter Douglas and closer to 2k for Lutrons more advanced dealer options. 

In my experience, I'd do wired control all the way. Radiora, rf, zigbee... they're all OK, but they miss signals here and there. It's frustrating to have four shades lower but not the fifth.  I'd rather have battery operated motor but wired trigger/control  over wired motor and rf trigger/ radiora  

Lutron is is going to be quietest and most expensive. The hunter Douglas PowerView are noisy and slow-- you get what you pay for. But they do the job. 

I have PowerView in one home and the rf signals get missed a lot. 

I have Lutron in another and had similar issues so hardwired and have never had an issue. 

4 minutes ago, abovedeck said:

You're going to spend about 1k per window if you go the route of Serena/hunter Douglas and closer to 2k for Lutrons more advanced dealer options. 

In my experience, I'd do wired control all the way. Radiora, rf, zigbee... they're all OK, but they miss signals here and there. It's frustrating to have four shades lower but not the fifth.  I'd rather have battery operated motor but wired trigger/control  over wired motor and rf trigger/ radiora  

Lutron is is going to be quietest and most expensive. The hunter Douglas PowerView are noisy and slow-- you get what you pay for. But they do the job. 

I have Lutron in another and had similar issues so hardwired and have never had an issue. 

I've never seen a Ra2 product (shade or light) miss a beat. But I see your point, there's always a risk with wireless communication. 

fair enough - i dont think most customers know/care who makes the fabric :-)  At least on an automation forum they are looking at the hardware/control.  If the wife likes the fabric and I like the integration and we both like the price point, we have a winner.

Would these Bali/Somfy blinds work with the C4 drivers?  Any one know the Somfy hardware used on the Bali product?  Sonesse 30 or 40 or 50?

Though some offgas really badly

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, abovedeck said:

Powerview as a whole isn't noisy except for the Luminette.  Not sure what you are referring to as slow?  If you are talking battery operated and low on power sure.  Most all shades turn at a very similar speed when it comes to window coverings.  Its a balance between speed and lifting force.

As for missing signals a lot, sounds like you are lacking repeaters or proper repeater placement.  I have houses with platinum and powerview with upwards of 30 shades and signals rarely are missed.  Proper testing of repeater location is a key element of installation.

Are you sure you have Powerview and not the older Platinum?

Archived