C4 Forums | Control4

Sony TV not responding to Control4 after reset

I have a Sony "smart" TV in my main living room that would not stop asking me to update the software , unfortunately I did.  I had the TV setup to send audio back to my AV Receiver using ARC ... after the update it seemed to work 1 out of every 5 times and in order to fix it I had to manually power cycler the AV receiver after turning on the system.  I contacted Sony to see if it was a simple fix and they recommended doing a "factory reset" and said doing so would fix the problem .... well not sure if it did but after the reset my Control4 remote no longer works on the TV.  It now has to be turned on manually and the input set to HDMI .... I'm just a homeowner and have put in a call to my dealer but this happened late Friday and so I don't expect to hear back until Mon or Tue ... I'm wondering if there is anything I can do on my end to fix it ?  I'm not sure why doing a factory reset on the TV would break the connection but I'm hoping someone on the sight will have some insight.  Just to be clear ... all of the other devices still work as usual through the Control4 remote (Cable box, AV receiver etc .... ) so it's obviously lost connection with the Sony TV. 

Thanks in advance for your reply. 

In order to get a Sony tv to communicate with C4 over the networks, several settings need to be changed in the tv. First of all, it always have to have the same IP address so C4 can find it on the network - this is called a static IP address. Second, the TV requires a password to control it over the network, called a pre-shared key, that your dealer set up. A factory reset will rest the TV to its factory settings, wiping out these settings. You'll need to get the settings that your dealer used from him - there are no standard IP addresses or pre shared keys to use, it is at the discretion of the person who set it up.

Factory resetting any device that communicates with another device will likely break the link and prevent them from 'talking' to each other.

Mark Feinberg

Home Theater Advisors

14 minutes ago, gtrplyr1 said:

I'm not sure why doing a factory reset on the TV would break the connection but I'm hoping someone on the sight will have some insight.  

If the tv was set up as a static address that would now be gone, also probably defaulted the authentication away from the key. Do you have Composer HE to see what the IP address c4 is looking for the tv to be at as well as the key?

Use your Sony remote, press Home, Setting, > Network > Home Network > Authentication > Then pre-shared Key needs to be used (it should already have the key in there), then select done.

Ok ... that's what I was afraid of.  I will have to limp through the next few days juggling multiple remotes until I can get a hold of my Control4 dealer.  I'm hoping this is something he can do "remotely" .... from the sound of your reply I believe it probably is . 

Lesson learned .. NO more updates for anything.  I did find another thread where someone was asking if there was a way to disable the "update software" message that keeps coming up on my Sony TV , if anyone knows if it's possible please let me know. 

Thanks ! 

Hmm .... Sonic30301 .... I think my TV is a little different but I did find some of that info in the "advanced options" tab.  On the "IP settings" portion I have either DHCP (which is selected) or Static .  When I choose static it's asking me for the IP address but I don't know what my installer used and I don't have the composer HE yet to look it up.  Is the fix as easy as finding out what IP address he used and setting the tv to that ? 

Thanks for the replies so far ... VERY much appreciated. 

I posted about this a week or two ago.  The firmware update reset the IP Control settings on the TV. Go into your network setting and make sure the IP Control is set to shared key. 

On your Sony remote, press Home, Setting, > Network > Home Network > Authentication > Then pre-shared Key needs to be used (it should already have the key in there), then select done.

That should fix it. If not, if you have Composer HE check that the key is correct. 

Story of my life!

If I had known the SONYn updates would break the TVs from the network - I would have gone with commercial displays. Those generally don't need firmware updates every other week...

In addition, DHCP reservations wont work on some of the SONYs as the TV is also asking for the key pairing you all spoke of above.

Thanks for all of the help .  I did get a hold of my installer and he basically said the same thing Dave W posted .... it was an easy fix.  I also talked to Sony again because I was still having a problem with the ARC after the update ... I simply turned everything off and pulled out the HDMI cable from the Sony TV .   After a minute I plugged everything back in and I've experienced no issues since!  

GT Slider ... how do you turn off the updates ?  I can't seem to find a way to do it. 

Also, after the last Sony update the volume no longer displays as you are turning the volume up/down ... Sony confirmed it's a known problem and their engineers are working on it. 

On 6/1/2017 at 7:09 PM, gtrplyr1 said:

Thanks for all of the help .  I did get a hold of my installer and he basically said the same thing Dave W posted .... it was an easy fix.  I also talked to Sony again because I was still having a problem with the ARC after the update ... I simply turned everything off and pulled out the HDMI cable from the Sony TV .   After a minute I plugged everything back in and I've experienced no issues since!  

GT Slider ... how do you turn off the updates ?  I can't seem to find a way to do it. 

Also, after the last Sony update the volume no longer displays as you are turning the volume up/down ... Sony confirmed it's a known problem and their engineers are working on it. 

I had to just turn ARC off on my Sony and use Optical.  I'm not sure that C4 knows how to deal with two way communication efficiently over HDMI.

I stopped doing "cool ip drivers" for that reason, if client lives far, no IP drivers, IR or serial will work after network,factory or whatever reset. 

As well, if I do C4 control, I disable all HDMI options (no ARC, no power, no whatever smart control) C4 controls everything, no helpers needed.

In case there is no any controller on top, all those option pretty nice to have.

Archived