C4 Forums | Control4

Zigbee Extender 3 question

N8Ball

Question

How do you "know" if the extender is working?

I recently installed the Zigbee Extender 3 (ZXT30) and I'm having doubts that it's working/setup correctly.

Is there a way to know what devices are actually using the extender?

I have a motion sensor outside that was a bit too far from my EA3 to communicate...so I got the extender.

I'd like to know how I could determine if the motion sensor is using it or still trying to connect directly to the EA3.

If for some reason it is still trying to communicate directly with the EA3, and not using the extender, how do you fix that?

thanks all

FYI - My motion sensor still isn't working...but when I bring it into the house, it works great. grrrrr

21 answers to this question

Not sure if this is available in HE, but you can go to tools:network and look at the Zigbee routing tree. This will show you how everything gets back to the EA3.

If it isn't taking a path you like, there is no way to force it other then to remove power to the motion sensor and re-power it with the extender in place and hope it latches onto the extender.

Mark Feinberg

Home Theater Advisors

Again thanks for all your help. 

It's called SnagIt by TechSmith...I've been using it for years and I love it. I'm a visual person so this has always been helpful for me.

http://shop.techsmith.com/store/techsm/pd/productID.289200200?_ga=2.67794769.1177003435.1495629384-1118381967.1495629081

Awesome software. We use it at work all the time

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

Glad it's resolved! 

Couple things for future for you. 

- EA3/5 - ALWAYS include the extra zigbee antenna in the sale

- lights are the best zigbee extenders and give customer more. 

Lastly what clipping program makes those awesome screen shots?

So I took the extender and put in on the floor the same distance from the EA3 to the Motion Sensor...so right in the middle.

I was able to re-identify the Motion Sensor doing this.

I then took the extender to the nearest outlet that I could put the extender behind something and it still worked.

The crazy thing is that the routing table doesn't show that the motion sensor is using the extender.

But as of now...it's working. So I will accept this as a win and find the next C4 project.

Thanks for all the help knowitall

22 minutes ago, knowitall said:

Welcome to the world of zigbee. 

I guess last question would be where is the 200 on your map there? If it's close you could setup a mesh just for the motion to the 200

Ha...oh the joys of ZigBee

I moved the extended into the kitchen...which is right in the middle of the diagram I attached earlier.

Battery is at 96%

The 200 is upstairs and is almost perfectly above the EA3...just on the 2nd floor.

How's the battery in the motion?

i just saw the extender is full bars. Unplug the outlet switch and see what it connects to?

Or unplug the extender and see what happens with all your zigbee plugged back in like it was now that the 200 is off

Houston we have a problem...I think

I have the motion sensor sitting 1 foot from the extender and it would not re-Identify. There is nothing else that the motion sensor could connect to other than the extender within 20 ft.

So I brought it a bit closer to the EA3 and it was able to re-Identify.

extend.jpg.b077754d9023e7ebc7fc1fa0b4eeadd3.jpg

The crazy thing is that the "Outlet Dimmer Master" is 10 ft further away than the EA3.

3 hours ago, knowitall said:

Zigbee channel 25 is the only one that's outside of 2.4 range or whatever and less likely to get interference from wifi cordless phones etc. 

when you turn turn off the 200 as a ZAP wait about 30 min to let the mesh figure itself out again

Here's what I did...hoping this is what you meant???

extend.thumb.jpg.296ed065c488b296aad97259cd04ce6e.jpg

I also unplugged all the Outlet Dimmers anywhere near the motion sensor.

It's still not "currently" connecting to the extender...but I'll wait longer and see what happens.

Thanks for your help....seriously

Zigbee channel 25 is the only one that's outside of 2.4 range or whatever and less likely to get interference from wifi cordless phones etc. 

when you turn turn off the 200 as a ZAP wait about 30 min to let the mesh figure itself out again

4 hours ago, knowitall said:

Turn off zigbee on the 200 and make sure the channel is on 25

I'll try that as well.

When you say to set channel to 25, are you meaning the EA3?

Why 25, out of curiosity?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Home Theater Advisors said:

Not sure if this is available in HE, but you can go to tools:network and look at the Zigbee routing tree. This will show you how everything gets back to the EA3.

If it isn't taking a path you like, there is no way to force it other then to remove power to the motion sensor and re-power it with the extender in place and hope it latches onto the extender.

Mark Feinberg

Home Theater Advisors

Thanks so much

Here's what I see

extend.jpg.5fa083b87986899d543da26367ff01ba.jpg

Archived