C4 Forums | Control4

Thoughts on buying C4 equipment on Ebay?

arden.ballard

Question

Hi all, 

I'm the type to always look for a good deal, but I don't want to get burned. I'm building a new home and basically starting from scratch. What are some things I should look for if I were to buy used equipment? 

8 answers to this question

make sure your dealer will support programming on ebay gear.  some will, some will not touch it.

Others that will can find they need to bill you time to run firmware upgrades to get everything on the right version

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

Most dealers are more accommodating if you are buying the master ea3/5 from them.

Sent from my E6603 using Tapatalk

If u buy a HC in eBay check the following:

Needs to have "-1" at the end of model number

As for software version

Ask your dealer if he will swap/install and update it four you and as for a price

The overall price should be a lot less than for what he would sell you a new EA HC, otherwise going used with last Gen isn't worth it.

I bought my HC800 on eBay like 3 years ago, all went fine. Install an update was like 150$ or so. At the time he didn't have a problem with used stuff

I buy control4 stuff on eBay ALL THE TIME!  As a matter of fact,  I'm building my buddies stuff right now!  I've even opened my own hc800 and updated both the memory and the ram! Once got extra stuff just sitting around here,  updated and all.... don't worry about it,  just make sure it works and connect with the right people.  

Archived