C4 Forums | Control4

How do you use your contact and/or relays?

N8Ball

Question

I recently purchased a contact and a relay for a reasonable price...with no real need for them, and I'm simply asking how you all have used yours to hopefully spark some creativity for how I could use them.

Thanks

7 answers to this question

I have control two relays via C4;

One turns on/off a 1000W pump running a water fall into my swimming pool.

The other turns on/off a 150MA transformer running some 12V garden lights up the driveway.

I also use a reed switch - contact to check if the garage door is open/closed.

Contacts:

Step sensors on stairs (quickest response) to turn on lights

DC adapter plugged into an outlet without back-up so sense poweroutages at rack

Same setup for the plug-in for the trailer.

And another on the circuit for the fridge and freezer.

Water sensors for the system at the rack itself (in addition/just in case security system is disconnected for whatever reason)

Heat sensor on some sensitive equipment (not FIRE heat, settable sensor) to trigger extra fans

Relays:

Several LED strips for closet lighting

Those same stair under-step LEDS

Those fans for the heat sensor

Fireplace

Hard shutdown of certain devices in case of emergency

Garage Doors

Triggering several devices that have a 12v trigger, including amps connected to pre-amps, power bars and UPS devices.

Back-up water pump and air pump for aquarium

Many of Cy's examples plus:

- geyser control,

- heat pump (underfloor heating) control (turns on / off flow pumps and heat pumps - all off in summer, flow pumps off when going on holiday in winter but heat pumps left on for defrosting reasons).

- some small touchscreen (nothing to do with C4) that don't dim and don't integrate but are in the master bedroom BIC and give an irritating glow at night.

On 5/24/2017 at 0:37 AM, Cyknight said:

Contacts:

Step sensors on stairs (quickest response) to turn on lights

DC adapter plugged into an outlet without back-up so sense poweroutages at rack

Same setup for the plug-in for the trailer.

And another on the circuit for the fridge and freezer.

Water sensors for the system at the rack itself (in addition/just in case security system is disconnected for whatever reason)

Heat sensor on some sensitive equipment (not FIRE heat, settable sensor) to trigger extra fans

Relays:

Several LED strips for closet lighting

Those same stair under-step LEDS

Those fans for the heat sensor

Fireplace

Hard shutdown of certain devices in case of emergency

Garage Doors

Triggering several devices that have a 12v trigger, including amps connected to pre-amps, power bars and UPS devices.

Back-up water pump and air pump for aquarium

I am assuming the sensors for your garage doors are on your security system. How does that work for arming? Do you have to make sure you open and shut the garage door within a certain time? On my security system the installer only put a sensor on the basement garage door that is used for a workshop and yard tool storage. 

it could be on your security system or it could just be a magnetic sensor connected to a zigbee device or controller itself, but the control4 driver that shorts the relay for opening and closing the garage door looks to the sensor for feedback before it shorts the relay. That way of someone initiates close the garage door from c4 and it is already closed the relay wont fire and open the door

As said, you can do it either way. If on security system, they can be put in as a non-monitored/trigger type sensor if you like, or be normal delayed or double delayed entry zones - integrating it in C4 makes no difference on the function as such, and a double delay is usually more than enough to arm, open exit and close or open, enter, disarm.

Mine are in fact on my security panel.

Archived