C4 Forums | Control4

New Ceiling fan recommendation?

I'm buying and installing a new ceiling fan that I'd like to control through C4.  Should I buy a "smart" ceiling fan or a "dumb" one (no pun intended) and should I install a C4 Fan Speed controller or use a driver or something? 

Any advise much appreciated.  I'll probably pick something with a little style though like a Casablanca or Big Ass Fan, etc.  Also not sure if I'll get it with a light or not. 

Thanks

If going the C4 route, you will need to purchase a dumb fan (pull chain style) so you can use the C4 fan speed controller.  If it has a light, then you will need to make sure there is a spare Hot wire you can use for the light load and will also require a separate switch/dimmer.  Typically, you would have your power feed going to the wall box location.  Then a 14-3 (white, black, red) with ground up to your fan box.  You wire the load output of the C4 fan controller to the black of the 14-3 wire and then wire the C4 switch/dimmers load output to the red of the 14-3.  Then up at your fan box, using the 14-3 and fan leads, wire all neutrals together (white), wire all grounds together (bare copper or green), wire black to fan load, wire red to the light load.   

You also have some choices of using some "smart fans" that can integrate with the Matterlinx RF controller.  Will require research on your part if the fan is compatible with the frequencies that Matterlinx works with.

I also think that there is a driver for BAF, however I've never used it nor do I know where to find it.

That should get you going.

1 hour ago, alanchow said:

Our Big Ass Fans Haiku driver for Control4 will integrate the Haiku IP controlled fans with two way control and feedback over the fans and lights.

https://www.chowmainsoft.com/big-ass-fanslights-haiku-driver

Fan.png

Very nice.  I have 3 Haiku's in my house and they are awesome.   Assume you only have to purchase 1 driver for your overall home to control multiple fans?

44 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

Very nice.  I have 3 Haiku's in my house and they are awesome.   Assume you only have to purchase 1 driver for your overall home to control multiple fans?

That is correct.  All of our drivers are site licences which means you can use as many instances as you want for the one project.

1 hour ago, C4 User said:

Alan, I know your driver works with the Haiku fans and fan lights, but does your driver work with the Haiku ceiling lights?  Thank you.

I'm not sure to be honest.  It should in theory.

22 hours ago, alanchow said:

I'm not sure to be honest.  It should in theory.

I emailed Haiku today and learned that these lights are IP controlled.  It appears they have both dimming and color control.  Does your driver manage both dimming can color on these lights?  If not, any chance you will be updating the driver?  Thanks much.

2 hours ago, C4 User said:

I emailed Haiku today and learned that these lights are IP controlled.  It appears they have both dimming and color control.  Does your driver manage both dimming can color on these lights?  If not, any chance you will be updating the driver?  Thanks much.

Our driver does on/off and dimming only.  I strongly suggest you test the driver out prior to purchasing a licence as i know it works with the lights built into the fans but unsure of the standalone ones.

Alan,   I have your trial driver for a few days and I can't access it via remote iPhone away from house.   I hit a button, then it reverts back a few seconds later.    Any steer?

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

Alan,   I have your trial driver for a few days and I can't access it via remote iPhone away from house.   I hit a button, then it reverts back a few seconds later.    Any steer?

The driver polls for feedback.  The iPhone reverts back to the original state if it has not received confirmation that it has changed to that setting. It most likely has not obtained feedback by that time but if you wait t should come in eventually.

The driver polls for feedback.  The iPhone reverts back to the original state if it has not received confirmation that it has changed to that setting. It most likely has not obtained feedback by that time but if you wait t should come in eventually.

I tried like 3 times in a row and on different fans, same result.  Seems like a problem do t you think?

Hi Ejn,

You can check if the master driver expired, as you had mentioned that you're using a trial version of the driver.  With Composer HE, or your dealer can go to the driver properties page, it should display either valid or expired.  Could be the cause since you're seeing issues with multiple fans.

19 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

I tried like 3 times in a row and on different fans, same result.  Seems like a problem do t you think?

We actually have no control over 4sight.  The communications is the same for the driver as the phone and controller joins the same network.

if it works at home it will work away from home

3 minutes ago, Derrick Cain said:

Hi Ejn,

You can check if the master driver expired, as you had mentioned that you're using a trial version of the driver.  With Composer HE, or your dealer can go to the driver properties page, it should display either valid or expired.  Could be the cause since you're seeing issues with multiple fans.

That is also a very good point.  This is the most likely problem.

That is also a very good point.  This is the most likely problem.

THanks ALan and Derrick.  I'm not seeing in the driver fields how to see if expired.   How long is the trial period for ALan?  I've only had it for 3-4 days I believe

1 hour ago, Derrick Cain said:

Hi Ejn,

Thanks Derrick

2 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

THanks ALan and Derrick.  I'm not seeing in the driver fields how to see if expired.   How long is the trial period for ALan?  I've only had it for 3-4 days I believe

Trial goes for 48 hours so definately expired.

OK, Thats a very fast trial period....  Like Lamborghini fast !

It's a pretty standard driver trial period. It's meant to prove things work. Which you should be able to do in 48hrs

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, msgreenf said:

It's a pretty standard driver trial period. It's meant to prove things work. Which you should be able to do in 48hrs

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

I guess I'm use to software trials which typically are longer.   I think the objective should be (IMHO) that the driver should satisfy the customer needs from a functionality standpoint vs just operate without error otherwise you will have someone potentially be dissatisfied with the value of it and not buy anything else.    48hrs may cut it close for some customers and not sure what you lose by giving 7 or 14 days but that's the developers call.   

ps, in this case, i bought the driver.  Thanks Alan for answering questions above :)

Great information here.  If buying a Haiku and use the driver does it matter if I use purchase and setup with the Haiku wall control or a Control4 switch?  Anyone know if it works with their Isis line of fans?

5 hours ago, JB1 said:

Great information here.  If buying a Haiku and use the driver does it matter if I use purchase and setup with the Haiku wall control or a Control4 switch?  Anyone know if it works with their Isis line of fans?

Our driver only requires wifi control over the haiku.  Once you have that then you don't need any additional products.

Archived