C4 Forums | Control4

Largest C4 home you've done

qwerty88

Question

16 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, GT Slider said:

If any of you are familiar with Top Golf. The entire complex is run using 2 EA-5s with Savi Controls overlay.  Each Top Golf has about 250 TVs being controlled using Control4. 

+1. SAVI are good people. The location in Allen, TX was the prototype.

21 hours ago, qwerty88 said:

do you recommend c4 for large installations 6000sq ft ++ ?

In a heart beat, though the size of a house means little in reality. What goes into it is what matters.

Sure with lots of audio zones and zigbee devices you may need a few extra controllers, but the real work (with the possible exception of running on-screen navigator) isn't outputting audio (which the main controller still does most of the work for by the way, even if non of it's own audio outputs are used) or even the ZigBee traffic (the only reason you eventually need more controllers is is due to max number of devices that can connect to the ZigBee Radio itself). Oh and at 50-75 nodes you need a separate ZAP, not a separate MESH - over 150 on an EA5 a second Mesh starts becoming important.

Largest system? Not really sure, but one comes to mind: 16000 sqf bungalow with a 20 x 50 or so Just Add Power setup, over 70 zones of audio, 5 surround zones two of them full-blown theatres - must have been 250+ light loads (pre panel), not including keypads, tstats, locks, and remotes - numerous TV lifts, a few pumps and sensors for the aquarium and the pool and of course garages and gate etc controlled. Security system just under the Concord4 96 zone max, and of course matching music and video libraries....she was sluggish on a 100 but not very much so, great now.

My house is 7000 square feet, Pentair pool, around 50 security zones, 150 lights, 10 underfloor heating zones, 6 aircon units, 10 x 10 video matrix - all inputs used (3 Dunes - play movies from a Synolgy NAS, 2 apple TVs, 2 satellite Tvs and 2 blue ray players, a DVR for cameras - 16, an Apple Mac mini - one of the zones does not go through the matrix - don't ask me how the dealer got that right as all 11 zones are available on all TVs), 15 music zones, a door station, four Touchscreens, 5 TVs, a projector, 8 irrigation zones and 5 Echo Dots.

Loads of drivers and hundreds of macros and lots of programming. 

Control4 handles this all just fine.  I have an EA5, two HC800s, three HC250s, three EA1s.

1 minute ago, mstafford388 said:

Haha.  I've actually been in 2 homes just like that.  The one dealer was great, the other was ok.  Not telling which was which :)

*dropping Hamiltons like Burr* You sure? :D

1 minute ago, thecodeman said:

Sounds like a really cool place, I bet the guys that did that install were knowledgeable dudes :)

Haha.  I've actually been in 2 homes just like that.  The one dealer was great, the other was ok.  Not telling which was which :)

11 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

Largest residential job I've even been on had over 50 panelized lighting modules in 14 panels, 150+ wired keypads and 250+ zigbee devices.  That house is humming along just fine.  

Sounds like a really cool place, I bet the guys that did that install were knowledgeable dudes :)

1 hour ago, knowitall said:

It can absolutely handle it. As long as it's designed properly. Couldn't tell you largest project actual size but I've had 4 800's and 6 250's and over 300 lights in a house alone. Plus keypads. 

Just remember the processors share the work load when running the project so don't expect to run the whole thing off an EA5. Have a processor behind a couple main tv's in the theater etc  

Ummmm, You would pretty much be running the project from an EA5, sure you can dump the ZServer and Not run Navigator on the Primary Controller but you are essentially running the whole project of the main controller which should be an EA5 in a large project.  So the processors don't really share the workload, sure audio and ZigBee can be distributed and would need to be for a large number of devices, but these are hardly the items that are really intensive for large projects. 

what @knowitall said. design is key. I have worked on awesome control4 and crestron systems, and also worked on horrendous disasterpieces due to poor planning/design. Customers will say they hate their system but it comes back to the integrator making sure they spec based on expectations and draw a line in the sand when budget cuts compromise the stability

It can absolutely handle it. As long as it's designed properly. Couldn't tell you largest project actual size but I've had 4 800's and 6 250's and over 300 lights in a house alone. Plus keypads. 

Just remember the processors share the work load when running the project so don't expect to run the whole thing off an EA5. Have a processor behind a couple main tv's in the theater etc  

And dont skimp on equipment. Got 36 audio zones? Fork out the cash for a custom audio matrix. 

Leave room to grow and make sure you have a rock solid network/infrastructure 

leaf 20x20 (16 video zones used), 2 audio matrices, 24 stereo audio zones, 3 surround sound zones, 130+ dimmers, garage door and fireplace relays, jandy pool control. I dont remember how many security zones but it was an elk m1. Once finished we went back every 6 months for scheduled maintenance on a predetermined plan for upkeep and they are happy. And that was in 2013 when that project started. Have added Kodi, ifttt and google home since initial install among other little things

Archived