C4 Forums | Control4

Procedure to switch dealers

Could I get info on anyone's experience switching dealers?  The one who installed 2014 stopped responding.  I found a local dealer, but I don't really want to dump more $$$ into a system that has had consistent reliability issues. Thx

Got it, thx.  How difficult will it be for new dealer to understand my system?  Do you happen to know what kind of charges might be involved?  Is it beneficial to let Control4 know that original dealer won't respond?

2 minutes ago, Marie said:

How difficult will it be for new dealer to understand my system?

shouldn't be very difficult.  they will likely have to spend some time reviewing it and due to the size and complexity that could take a few hours

2 minutes ago, Marie said:

Do you happen to know what kind of charges might be involved?

All dealers make their own raters, before changing i recommend discussing with them what your problems are what your expectations are.

3 minutes ago, Marie said:

Is it beneficial to let Control4 know that original dealer won't respond?

I don't think it would hurt anything

Just now, Marie said:

Thx, I appreciate it.  I'm not at all tech savvy, and I've been left high and dry after huge investment.

I think the best thing you can do is a find a dealer, go to their office and talk to them.  You don't have to be technical to use Control4 and there is no reason your system shouldn't be stable

5 hours ago, Marie said:

Just sucks that I'm at the mercy of an unresponsive "platinum" dealer.  This wasn't made clear at sales pitch.  My bad for not researching, I know. Thx again.

As far as I understand it - Platinum dealers get those rankings based on sales volume, not customer satisfaction reports or a review of their work and portfolio.

Look for another dealer, look online for reviews/portfolios and customer reviews - ask for 2-3 references and see if they will let you call a customer, etc.  If you were more technical one could advise finding a remote dealer on this site, but that may still need the home owner to have some technical knowledge to talk through the physical set up onsite, etc.  So in your case, look for another local dealer.  

14 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

As far as I understand it - Platinum dealers get those rankings based on sales volume, not customer satisfaction reports or a review of their work and portfolio.

That's not entirely accurate. A minimum sales volume is certainly part of it - but it's not as simple as volume = ranking.

But as pointed out in this thread, you are in no way locked to a single dealer, there is in fact nothing a dealer can do to the system to prevent another dealer from doing work on it (on site) - if it's NO dealer you want, then that's a long-standing argument on these forums.

Control4 is a very stable system. Usually I don't hear from my customers for a long time. Marie, your investment was not wasted, you need a dealer who can clean up and program your system adequately. Explain the potential dealer the problem, he might be able to help you and get your system fixed up at a decent rate. It's in our best interest to protect the brand and make sure systems run without issues, Control4 is a great system and yours should be running smoothly. 

I contacted a local dealer who will assess system next week.  Not expensive.  It's just irritating that I invested so much for a system that's never functioned properly and now I need to pay again because I was ghosted by original dealer.  Three years of headaches and $$$$.  Thanks again for your input.

Hopefully your subsequent experience will be what your system deserves to be.

Do make sure you get all your account log-in info (assuming that failed originally) - it's your account, not a dealer's. That way your options will remain open.

• 4 weeks later...

Huge bummer. Feel your pain. There is a huge difference between a dealer who just installs things and sets up basic programming (mine) and the ones on this forum. I did all of the programming for my house and love that I can do that with C4. The hard thing is finding a dealer who is good at programming. What are you trying to accomplish and I can give you some questions you can use to test the dealer's ability. Alternatively, I would strongly suggest getting one of the great programmers on this forum to be your remote dealer. As long as nothing needs to be physically installed it works great. Even if something needs to be added back to your system, they could add it in Pro and you just have to help them by hitting a few buttons in the correct sequence while on the phone with them. Very easy. You will be A LOT happier when your system is programmed correctly. It took me a while to undo the incorrect binding and programming my original dealer did, but in the end totally worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the new dealer that came out was worse than the first.  Hopefully, I will be finished with them next week, and I'll put out feelers for a remote dealer here.

Can anyone tell me what the usual cost of C4-DS2SM-BLK door station is?

I recommend you get one of the well-regarded remote programmers here to do a triage on your system. Write down a list of issues.

In many cases we see network as an underlying culprit with buggy systems. Now that can be difficult for the homeowner to make changes to if you are not technical, but still worth doing a remote triage IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, Rjv said:

I am exactly in same boat as Marie is. I need help to understand some DIY and long term resolution for dealer going unresponsive.

I'm open to new remote clients and willing to listen to your needs.  PM me for any questions or issues that need addressed.

Archived