C4 Forums | Control4

sean_m

3 hours ago, sean_m said:

My client is adding a steam room to his house and the only driver I can find is by houselogix for the Steamist brand. Anyone have any experience with Mr Steam or Thermasol products? Thanks. 

I am subscribing as I am interested.  I did some research just a few weeks ago and here are some notes I sent myself on Mr Steam.  Thermasol support told me they offer zero integration.  I did not look into the Steamist brand but good to know Houselogix has a driver.

For Mr Steam - there is basic control with control4 - and that is on and off.  cant set temps, change light colors, etc.  http://www.mrsteam.com/homewizard is the hardware you need and you can run an Ethernet between this device and the steam generator and another Ethernet between the device and your automation system and you can simply turn the system on/off and I have to double check but I think the system could see status feedback if it is on or off (good for a custom button).  I was told when setting up the generator you set a default temp and it takes about 25 mins to usually hit that temp, so if you press "on" via control4, it will start to heat up to that set temp.  I believe you would then use the Mr Steam interface to select lights (chromotherapy), select aromatherapy options, etc.  Music I guess you could wire via c4 and play music via that interface or through the Mr Steam options.

They also told me iSteam 3.0 should be coming out around August and it will support an iOS App.  So you would be able to use the app to turn on the unit, pick music/color/aromas, etc.  Right now the only way to control it is through their interface devices (minus a simple on/off via home automation system)

Status would be good so if you have a good night setting you could make sure the generator is off, or if the generator is on you could have a doorbell chime in the bathroom if someone rang your doorbell, or you could get a text when it goes on to make sure it didn't accidentally get turned on or if a kid was messing with it, etc.  So though you cannot control everything, ability to turn on/off and see status would be beneficial.

Curious as to what others have to say.  Looking at the Houselogix Steamist driver it appears to be the same functionality as the HomeWizard device for Mr Steam?

Wow thanks for all the input eggslot! You really saved me a bunch of research time. 

Client seems to be into Mr Steam so I'll play with the on/off functions you mentioned and hope iStream 3.0 will bring about some new functions. Thanks again. 

Ive done some basic research on this topic and so far Steamist has come out in front for integration, from what I've read anyway. From my recollection the device communicates over rs232, but looking back i can't find any reference to it and it would make more sense over wifi, could be thinking of MR Steam!?! I currently believe you have On/Off control  & MEM1&2 when using the Houselogix driver. 

Steamist Control4 Compatible Controller - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007L4LSAE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB

This is from Steamists FAQ's, -http://steamist.com/resources/faq/

"Is a Steamist Steam Shower System compatible with Home Automation Systems?
The mySteamist app which is standard with the 550 Digital Control and optional with the 450 Digital Control allows for integration with two of the “professional” (not DIY) home automation systems, Crestron and Control4.

Crestron has published the application for integrators to use that will feature Memory 1, Memory 2, Off and System Status display. Click here for more information on how Steamist connects to Crestron.
Control4 integration with similar features is now available through “TheDriversLab” Steamist Driver and App. Click here for more information on how Steamist connects to Control4.
"

• 4 months later...

Well the project turned into a 6 month remodel so I just got to the Mr Steam today. I added a generic relay driver to the project, renamed it Mr Steam, connected it to a relay on the EA-5 set it to toggle type and it worked perfect. Feed back and everything in the C4 app. Well the Mr Steam support guy called back  and this isn't a correct way to set it up and it will kill the $400 Homewizard interface.

This is from the manual:

"The signal from the Home Automation system must be a momentary contact closure to turn the Steam Generator ON or OFF. A sustained contact closure or voltage will damage the Home Wizard."

If I'm correct, toggle type would be a "sustained contact". So I switched the driver to pulse type and it works but there is no feed back.... the app just shows that it forever off. 

So is there any way in C4 to setup a momentary contact closure and have feed back? 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/10/2018 at 10:41 PM, thedriverslab said:

Hey guys,

This is a little late, we are the creators of the steamist driver. If there is a need I can reach out to our contact at mr steam and thermasol and see if they are interested in a having a driver developed. I will post as soon as I have an answer. 

agreed with @lVh0m3t3cH - my work got pushed back a few months but looking for any/all options to steam integration.  would prefer as many c4 options as possible so I can select what steam shower itself fits our needs/budget the best and not have C4 being a deciding factor.

• 2 months later...
On 1/10/2018 at 10:41 PM, thedriverslab said:

Hey guys,

This is a little late, we are the creators of the steamist driver. If there is a need I can reach out to our contact at mr steam and thermasol and see if they are interested in a having a driver developed. I will post as soon as I have an answer. 

@thedriverslab - any update on thermasol?  Starting to price out a renovation project.  Plumbing supply store sells thermasol, mr steam and steamist and said the prices are within 100-300 bucks or so but he had less headaches with thermasol equipment vs the others.  Not sure if he gets more profit off that brand or if the claims of quality are true.  Of course steamist and mr steam have c4 integration and as of last check thermasol didn’t have a driver.  

Please let me know if you have an update on thermasol.  Thanks

11 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I’m a month or so away from installing a Tylo heater in the sauna and Helo steam generator in my steam room at my new beach house. Both have pretty cool native apps, but I’d love to see them integrated to C4!

Any plans for audio?  Trying to figure if I need a zone in steam shower and zone in rest of bathroom or just 1 speaker per location and call it the same zone

audio control built into these units are lacking good control.  All local Bluetooth.  Thinking about bypassing their built in audio and running audio in steam shower via c4/audio matrix.  Use a card access mini remote to change source/volume.  And only steam controller to control steam

looking at c4 integration for experience buttons, if steam goes on turn radio to X stream, etc. 

30 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Any plans for audio?  Trying to figure if I need a zone in steam shower and zone in rest of bathroom or just 1 speaker per location and call it the same zone

audio control built into these units are lacking good control.  All local Bluetooth.  Thinking about bypassing their built in audio and running audio in steam shower via c4/audio matrix.  Use a card access mini remote to change source/volume.  And only steam controller to control steam

looking at c4 integration for experience buttons, if steam goes on turn radio to X stream, etc. 

Yes, my steam room is a 2m by 2m separate room with an L shaped bench seat and the plan is to have waterproof speakers and a separate zone.  Similarly, the sauna is a separate zone,  in both cases, the speakers are under the seats at floor level where the heat is less intense.

I like the Experince Button integration idea. 

In your case, I would also recommend a separate zone. My theory is that is always easier to merge zones (setup) than split zones (wiring and hassle).

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Yes, my steam room is a 2m by 2m separate room with an L shaped bench seat and the plan is to have waterproof speakers and a separate zone.  Similarly, the sauna is a separate zone,  in both cases, the speakers are under the seats at floor level where the heat is less intense.

I like the Experince Button integration idea. 

In your case, I would also recommend a separate zone. My theory is that is always easier to merge zones (setup) than split zones (wiring and hassle).

Close to the same size.  5’ x 6’. 6.6’ or so is 2m.  So fairly close.  But mine is a shower/steam room in one.  Big shower with a bench.  And steam generator.  

Many experience installing speaker under the bench re audio quality?  It’s a shower doesn’t have to be critical quality 🙂

i see people talk about 1 dual coil speakers for bathrooms.  Less clutter, quicker install.  Found this one that is waterproof. Maybe 1 in general bathroom area and the other in the steam shower?  And make each one a zone?

http://www.bizz-tech.com/Ceiling_Speakers-Waterproof_Dual-VoiceCoil_6_5_Stereo_Speaker.html

if I stick with thermasol and can’t get integration maybe I’ll get creative - if steam generator gets hot to the touch maybe I can put a sensor on it?  Over a certain temp means it’s on.  Or put a sensor in the shower.  Same concept. The thermasol heats up in 60 seconds.  Can’t see being at the store and wanting to start it before I get home.   Just like to know status of it for programming purposes. 

Yeah, my dealer was happy to install the steam room speaker in the roof but adamant that the sauna speaker had to be installed low down for heat reasons.  I ultimately went with the “its a steam room, audio quality is not the most important thing” and said we should install both low down and minimize the risk of damage.

In our main home, we have dual coil speakers in the kids bathrooms and the quality is fine.

We also have a steam room and sauna in our main home and I do wish they were both automated (linked to C4 with, at least, on and off functionality). I find that an hour is needed to get the sauna up to temperature and while the steam room can be used quicker, it is nicer with an hour to an hour and a half eat up time as that warms up the granite bench and wall tiles and gets the air temperature up to (a very pleasant) 50 degrees Celsius.  My dealer plans on hacking the units we are putting in at the coast to get this functionality as we have had no luck finding a driver.

13 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Yeah, my dealer was happy to install the steam room speaker in the roof but adamant that the sauna speaker had to be installed low down for heat reasons.  I ultimately went with the “its a steam room, audio quality is not the most important thing” and said we should install both low down and minimize the risk of damage.

In our main home, we have dual coil speakers in the kids bathrooms and the quality is fine.

We also have a steam room and sauna in our main home and I do wish they were both automated (linked to C4 with, at least, on and off functionality). I find that an hour is needed to get the sauna up to temperature and while the steam room can be used quicker, it is nicer with an hour to an hour and a half eat up time as that warms up the granite bench and wall tiles and gets the air temperature up to (a very pleasant) 50 degrees Celsius.  My dealer plans on hacking the units we are putting in at the coast to get this functionality as we have had no luck finding a driver.

keep us posted on your progress.  At this point I think I have control kind of worked out, now just curious how to integrate music - via their own systems or just straight C4 and use a mini key fob in the shower to change sources and have a keypad button turn on the music.

On 5/20/2018 at 11:52 PM, South Africa C4 user said:

https://store.wirelesstag.net/products/wireless-tag-13-bit-temperature-and-humidity

has ifttt integration.  Thinking of putting it under the bench in steam room.  When humidity gets to a certain level programming assumes steam shower is o.  Set a timer as a reminder to turn off.  If I go to turn on away alarm or goodnight mode and it senses steam I’d get a notice. 

33 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

https://store.wirelesstag.net/products/wireless-tag-13-bit-temperature-and-humidity

has ifttt integration.  Thinking of putting it under the bench in steam room.  When humidity gets to a certain level programming assumes steam shower is o.  Set a timer as a reminder to turn off.  If I go to turn on away alarm or goodnight mode and it senses steam I’d get a notice. 

I like this idea!

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

What hardware?  Want to do this with kitchen appliances.  Likely need something more than a Wemo. 

3 hours ago, Pounce said:

@alanchow probably has input on the power monitoring options since they have some drivers and partner with a hardware supplier.

I'm looking at https://openenergymonitor.org/ and their Iotawatt product. Looks like the api's are simple. 

For this kind of application Wemo Insight is the cheapest and easiest to install for this solution. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.