C4 Forums | Control4

Setting up doorbird

My installer has setup doorbird at our home. However I don't think it's programmed correctly. 

If the button is pressed, sometimes the ring is played over the speakers. I have yet to to see a notification or video pop up on a touch screen. We have a touch screen in every room. All TVs have an EA1 behind them. I have yet to see the TV turn on and display an image or video from the doorbird or pause the current content and display.

Ideally this is how we want it to work.

On button press:

1. Touchscreens -  doorbird notification should play on all touchscreens. I know only one TS can answer or the app on my phone. 

2. Audio - Will audio play thru the touchscreens or just the distributed ceiling speakers? We only want certain rooms active at certain times...ie not in my daughter's room between 1300 and 1500 and after 1830

3. TV screen - if off, the TV will turn on and go to the doorbird camera for 15 second and turn off. I can see the doorbird camera now as a camera source in C4. If there is a video source playing, the content is paused, video signal switched over to doorbird camera source, video or picture is displayed for 15 seconds then switch back to last video and unpause. 

On motion sensor:

Is the sensor motion only or also occupancy?  If someone walks up to the porch then 1. Play different audio notification,  notify on touch screens and TV. All time based programing to stay in effect. 

Fyi - I also have an 4mp hikvision camera with a different angle at the entry way. Is it better to program off of it as the picture / video source? I have a JAP hd over IP matrix system and a 16 channel Hik NVR. The cameras are plugged into a cisco switch on a vlan. Would you program what I want differently? We will also have a alarm motion / occupancy sensor installed in the area for programming if the db sensor cannot function how we want. 

Can I do this programing with HE? macros and variables?? 

Thanks

Audio can not play through the touch panels, however the doorbird can be setup to call the touch panels via intercom. But video will only work on 2 touch panels while the doorbird is ringing, this is a limitation of the doorbird.

You can't have the ea1 jump to the doorbird camera or any camera for that matter. The only way I can see you getting the doorbird video feed is if you add your NVR to the video matrix, have it come up on your TV and select the proper camera channel automatically (this will require some custom programming). The doorbird video feed can be added to your hikvision NVR.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Old school way of getting he OSD of ea1. Program a macro to press Control4 button in room then the correct sequence of button presses to highlight security and then cameras and then the correct camera. Haven't done this in years but have had it work flawlessly if the timing is right between button presses. Usually onscreen before the tv turns on or has switched inputs.

Happy Automating!!

1 hour ago, VINCELdUB said:

Old school way of getting he OSD of ea1. Program a macro to press Control4 button in room then the correct sequence of button presses to highlight security and then cameras and then the correct camera. Haven't done this in years but have had it work flawlessly if the timing is right between button presses. Usually onscreen before the tv turns on or has switched inputs.

Happy Automating!!

Used to be easy to do this.  Now the onscreen doesn't always start in the same position to create a macro.  Has become a crap shoot.

I have been successful with this by pressing the Control4 button twice by pressing it a second time it always brings the selection to the top most option which is usually watch

Happy Automating!!

i would also suggest not doing one announcement after another with the motion and door ring. as this could cause some unwanted operation i typically just flash the lights in a few rooms on motion and then ring if they press the button.

everything else you have should be doable.

On 6/15/2017 at 11:18 AM, VINCELdUB said:

I have been successful with this by pressing the Control4 button twice by pressing it a second time it always brings the selection to the top most option which is usually watch

Happy Automating!!

I've been wanting to tackle this problem for the past several days (and actually brought this up with Matt when we chatted last weekend!). I also have a Doorbird. My doorbell audio alerts have been working very well and I haven't tried to incorporate anything into motion alerts (mine seems way to sensitive to want anything tied to that). 

But I really wanted the video feed to pop up on the TV if you're watching it. Vincedlub, I tried hitting the Control4 button twice (with the physical remote) and that did not seem to work. It would take the curser/highlight to the last selected menu icon, i.e., it still wasn't consistent. This got me thinking though...

So my Doorbird camera is located under the "Security" icon on the OSD of the EA1, which means it's at the far left of all the icons. Importantly, I tested that if you keep hitting left when you land on that icon, your selection stays there. With that, 3 left clicks (at most) are necessary no matter where your selection ends up when you trigger the OSD and hitting it more than you need doesn't take you into any other menu--a way to always land on "Security." From there I just placed in the proper clicks and navigation with a slight delay in between "button clicks." Worked like a charm. 

I attached a screen of the macro for example. 

59447b3113131_Doorbirdmacro.thumb.PNG.1a041a0105130d820b1e95c63881211c.PNG

54 minutes ago, VINCELdUB said:

Now, you can use this to also activate when room off. But then add a timer at the end and have the room torn back off after timer expires. 30 secs. for example.

Happy Automating!!

That's an excellent idea! I'll definitely have to incorporate that into the scene now. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2017 at 10:01 PM, Gix656 said:

Audio can not play through the touch panels, however the doorbird can be setup to call the touch panels via intercom. But video will only work on 2 touch panels while the doorbird is ringing, this is a limitation of the doorbird.

You can't have the ea1 jump to the doorbird camera or any camera for that matter. The only way I can see you getting the doorbird video feed is if you add your NVR to the video matrix, have it come up on your TV and select the proper camera channel automatically (this will require some custom programming). The doorbird video feed can be added to your hikvision NVR.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

doorbird can be connected to HIKvision???? Did anybody do it? can I connect C4 doorstation camera to HIK vision NVR?

Ok so I'm trying to program the script

Background - JAP HD over IP matrix, Sony TVs, video sources: Directv, cable box, Roku, HTPC 

I have multiple TVs where I want this to happen. Can I program a general macro which different rooms can call it concurrently? Would I need two separate macro's for if room off vs room on OR use an else condition with one macro and nested if's?

Where does the programming for if DB button pressed go? It has to call the macro. Is it better to have a long script with all the rooms I want activated within the macro? The ex comp-sci minor in me says to have a small macro and have each room call it so there would be 4 macro calls instead of one large macro with all of the rooms. How would I program the macro to know which room called it so it would know where to execute: if Room "that called macro" power on 

Will the pause command send the correct pause code irrespective of source? ie will the program be smart enough to know if directv is the source then send DTV pause vs cable box pause command vs roku vs netflix vs htpc?

I assume that the announcement or intercom agent my installer has programmed will take care of the audio announcement and that pressing pause on the source will still allow the audio alert to play

I'm still going thru the C4 tutorials to figure out how to do the actual programming - ie where to find how to program a remote button press

My concept

If DB button pressed

in Family room

if room off run macro DB video room off

if room on run macro DB video room on

in master bedroom

in nanny room

in bar

stop 

Macro programs

If Room on

Press pause 

Command control4

command pulse navigate left x 3 with 500 mil sec pause

command select

command pulse navigate right

command select

command select

"at this point the DB video will be on screen"

set timer for 20 seconds

on end of timer

command prev "to get back to HDMI2 JAP from EA1 HDMI4 to show paused content"

command play

Stop "End macro" 

If Room off

command control4

command select

command select

command select

set timer for 20 seconds

on end of timer

command room off

Stop "end macro"

9 hours ago, vitali said:

doorbird can be connected to HIKvision???? Did anybody do it? can I connect C4 doorstation camera to HIK vision NVR?

Not sure on DoorBird, yes on the C4 Doorstation - C4 has a detailed step on doing this, don't remeber off the top of my head though - that said I've done it.

25 minutes ago, ERDrPC said:

My concept

Not bad as such but you're doing this a bit complicated. Also, in this scenario - unless you have dedicated controllers for each of these TVs for the OSD, you're actually creating a possible problem by repeating the 'movement' commands every macro execution - as macros may be firing at the same time!

First of all, C4 has a 'snapshot' driver that will make this all a lot easier.

When doorbell is pressed
Execute Macro doorbell
When Macro Doorbell is executed
Send pause command to room a
delay 100 ms {add these to prevent bombing the controller and creating overlapping command executions}
Send pause command to room b
{repeat for any room you want {remmeber that you can send pause to a room that is off and it won't actually do anythin}
Take Snapshot for 'Doorbell' {the snapshot driver would be set for whichever rooms you want to use this for - this can be done in a single snapshot driver}
delay 500ms {just to ensure you aren't changing states of rooms while snapshot is taken}
{IF there is also an audio announcemment  - insert it HERE}
Send Control4 to room a
delay 100ms
{again repeat as needed}
[Follow this with your setup for sending comands to get to the image]
start 20 second timer
WHEN timer expires
return state of the 'doorbell' snapshot
send command play to room a
delay 100ms
{and again repeat as needed)

1 hour ago, ERDrPC said:

Ok so I'm trying to program the script

Background - JAP HD over IP matrix, Sony TVs, video sources: Directv, cable box, Roku, HTPC 

I have multiple TVs where I want this to happen. Can I program a general macro which different rooms can call it concurrently? Would I need two separate macro's for if room off vs room on OR use an else condition with one macro and nested if's?

Where does the programming for if DB button pressed go? It has to call the macro. Is it better to have a long script with all the rooms I want activated within the macro? The ex comp-sci minor in me says to have a small macro and have each room call it so there would be 4 macro calls instead of one large macro with all of the rooms. How would I program the macro to know which room called it so it would know where to execute: if Room "that called macro" power on 

Will the pause command send the correct pause code irrespective of source? ie will the program be smart enough to know if directv is the source then send DTV pause vs cable box pause command vs roku vs netflix vs htpc?

I assume that the announcement or intercom agent my installer has programmed will take care of the audio announcement and that pressing pause on the source will still allow the audio alert to play

I'm still going thru the C4 tutorials to figure out how to do the actual programming - ie where to find how to program a remote button press

My concept

If DB button pressed

in Family room

in master bedroom

in nanny room

in bar

stop 

Macro programs

If Room on

Press pause 

Command control4

command select

command select

command select

set timer for 20 seconds

on end of timer

command prev "to get back to HDMI2 JAP from EA1 HDMI4 to show paused content"

command play

Stop "End macro" 

If Room off

command control4

command select

command select

command select

set timer for 20 seconds

on end of timer

command room off

Stop "end macro"

ERDrPC, I currently only have 2 zones for my programming so I just built separate macros for each room (one room even has both on/off macros as I was teaching myself as I went and got more efficient on the second room). Given that all the commands are done at the room level, I felt it was better to split them out in case I ever wanted to tie them to something else in the future. Also, by doing this, all your commands (pause, left, select, etc) will be limited to that room/EA-1. This command is just virtually hitting the pause button (and others) on your remote control so it will only pause what's on in the room it's tied to at the time. It should not be source specific.

And with regards to that, you will find all the remote control button presses under the specific room (e.g., "living room") in the commands sub-menu (will be the right panel when you're programming). That will  bring up every button available on the Control4 remote control. You would do the same in the actions panel if you wanted to program one of these buttons. This is why programming like this will tie each action to a specific room and one giant macro probably wouldn't work well. Your situation sounds a little more complex than mine being you have distributed video. How many of these TVs do you have EA-1s at? 

Also, in programming, you should see your Doorbird listed under/with Doorstation wherever in the house your dealer placed it. That's where you will program off the button press. You can then add the script here with any/all of your macros or discrete programming. This is also where your announcement agent should go if it's not already there. 

I'm not familiar with the Snapshot driver that Cyknight mentioned but that sounds very interesting.  

Hi Guys

First ...thanks for the replies

Yes every TV in my house has an EA1. It's on a different hdmi than the JAP receiver. 

I'm hoping for live video instead of the snap shot. This is why I was going thru the security camera view. I wish there was a way to directly access the higher quality stream from doorbird instead of the downscaled video on the EA1. 

Hope that clarifies 

11 minutes ago, ERDrPC said:

Hi Guys

First ...thanks for the replies

Yes every TV in my house has an EA1. It's on a different hdmi than the JAP receiver. 

I'm hoping for live video instead of the snap shot. This is why I was going thru the security camera view. I wish there was a way to directly access the higher quality stream from doorbird instead of the downscaled video on the EA1. 

Hope that clarifies 

My rather inelegant programming example that I posted does bring up the live video feed to clarify. It's essentially acting like you standing in the room and using the remote to get to the security camera view and select the Doorbird.

Like I said on the original post though, your on-screen interface may be slightly different (even from TV to TV in your large setup) so you'll have to make sure those commands work for you too and will likely have to play around with the delays between actions a bit. If they're all the same, it'll simply just be replicating the steps in each room. That should give you a good template to get started with and hopefully the tips on where to put in the programming made sense.  

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Not sure on DoorBird, yes on the C4 Doorstation - C4 has a detailed step on doing this, don't remeber off the top of my head though - that said I've done it.

Thnks, will try it soon

5 hours ago, ERDrPC said:

My above example would work unchanged even so - what you have merely prevents the possible conflict of sending multple commands to a single OSD device at the same time.

Ok Cyknight

I'm trying to combine the best of both - snapshot picture on the TS and video on the TV. I've programmed for one room for now. I copied the snapshot programming from my integrator but it has never worked. I press the DB button - blank screen on TS until I press answer then I see the video. Obviously I want to see the snapshot of whomever pressed the doorbell first before I choose to answer. The doorbird does is also connected to a HikVision NVR but I don't think that's involved. 

The video part works. 

Any help/direction would be great!!

Thanks

Doorbell Macro.png

I see that I have misunderstood the whole point of snapshot. If implement correctly then I shouldn't need the variables for room state.

I believe my snapshot saves every state of all lighting/audio/video in the project

How do I get a snapshot picture to display on the TS?

All the IF statements are not needed and should be removed, the recall also should be taken out, that may actually conflict with it to begin with.

14 hours ago, ERDrPC said:

blank screen on TS until I press answer then I see the video. Obviously I want to see the snapshot of whomever pressed the doorbell first before I choose to answer

This is where you misunderstand the 'snapshot' driver - it's not a snapshot of who's at the door - it's a snapshot of the state of the system, which can then be used to revert back to that state.

Archived