C4 Forums | Control4

Adding Video to rooms

Is there any way when using a matrix to add video to a room just like we do with audio.  So if we are watching a source in one room is there a way to simply add that source to a bunch of other rooms so they are all watching the same thing?  Customer just wants to tab a button to add a room like he does with music.  

technically the zones is for audio only. you could do some programming if its just one or two sources.  Or i would add some experience buttons that are just programmed to turn on x room to the currently selected device in the room.

in short must be programmed no easy way.

29 minutes ago, Gix656 said:

I've been able to add rooms for video just like audio in the zones page. It's just a little buggy but once you get it working, it works well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

the reason it is buggy is the zones pages is for audio, so if a tv is the audio endpoint it will have to turn it on to get the audio.

the reason it is buggy is the zones pages is for audio, so if a tv is the audio endpoint it will have to turn it on to get the audio.

Yes, but you can still get it to work. If your TV audio is not going through an amplifier you assign audio endpoints 2 to your TV. I believe that's how it got it to work. I also spent about an hour on the phone with tech support trying to figure out why adding a room to another zones video wasn't working on all TVs, and not once did he mention it was ONLY for audio.

2 minutes ago, Gix656 said:

Yes, but you can still get it to work. If your TV audio is not going through an amplifier you assign audio endpoints 2 to your TV. I believe that's how it got it to work. I also spent about an hour on the phone with tech support trying to figure out why adding a room to another zones video wasn't working on all TVs, and not once did he mention it was ONLY for audio.

i explained above and that is why it is so buggy. You can get it to work but it was designed for audio.

5 hours ago, Gix656 said:

Hmm... I'm not arguing with your method, but Audio Endpoint 2 (in this case) is used when there are devices connected directly to the TV. Audio Endpoint 2 would be the audio path for these devices since they aren't connected in any way to Audio Endpoint 1. For example: Let's say that an amp is the audio endpoint in a room and you connect a Wii directly to the TV bypassing the amp; therefore bypassing Audio Endpoint 1. Because the Wii has no connection to the amp, Control4 wouldn't know how to route the sound coming from the Wii, or how to control it. So in this case you would select the TV as Audio Endpoint 2 for that room. This way Control4 knows that if something is not connected to the amp, but it has a connection to the TV, it would use the TV as an audio endpoint. Audio Endpoint 2 is not the way to do what the OP wants to do. 

Unless I misunderstood what you're trying to say, and you actually mean the same thing I stated.

Hmm... I'm not arguing with your method, but Audio Endpoint 2 (in this case) is used when there are devices connected directly to the TV. Audio Endpoint 2 would be the audio path for these devices since they aren't connected in any way to Audio Endpoint 1. For example: Let's say that an amp is the audio endpoint in a room and you connect a Wii directly to the TV bypassing the amp; therefore bypassing Audio Endpoint 1. Because the Wii has no connection to the amp, Control4 wouldn't know how to route the sound coming from the Wii, or how to control it. So in this case you would select the TV as Audio Endpoint 2 for that room. This way Control4 knows that if something is not connected to the amp, but it has a connection to the TV, it would use the TV as an audio endpoint. Audio Endpoint 2 is not the way to do what the OP wants to do. 

Unless I misunderstood what you're trying to say, and you actually mean the same thing I stated.

I agree with you on that. However like I mentioned, getting video zones to join an existing session seems to be hit and miss sometimes. I've had it where all the zones just worked fine. I've also had it where only some zones would actually join that session properly (some would show the zone as being on, but the TV itself would not turn on). I have found if that happens, use audio end points 2 to the TV and it seems to fix the issue. Like mentioned by Matt, this was designed for audio, but in my experience it will also work for video, it is just not always 100% without sometimes making these changes.

Archived