C4 Forums | Control4

Experience Button Issue with Auto Update Driver Agent Event

I have been having what seemed to be random experience button clicks...so I bought the "Event Logging Driver" by @alanchow and it did exactly what I wanted...told me where the problem was. Now my issue is...Why is it happening?

It appears that when the "Auto Update Driver Agent Event" schedule runs...that it is "clicking" or "reseting" my experience button.

You will notice in the logs below, that I put in a temp fix where I take the value of the experience button and save it...then after the "Auto Update Driver Agent Event" schedule runs, I set the experience button to whatever it was prior to the "Auto Update Driver Agent Event".

This is a hack fix, but wanted to know if anyone knows what's going on here? and how to fix?

FYI - I promise that NO ONE is clicking the experience button at 3am in the morning. 

ExperienceButtonIssue.jpg.b05990e85fcd70caa640aa83cdfd991a.jpg

47 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

What is your update interval for control4? You can disable auto update for those buttons

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

This is probably the easiest solution... although see below for other thoughts:

Most Experience Buttons (certainly the native C4 ones) default to off after a controller reboot (and quite possibly after an auto update - I would guess).  Some Experience Buttons don't have this issue (e.g. Alan Chow's Advanced Experience Button Suite).  I try to use his buttons for my more important variables.  

As a work around for the rest, I link the buttons to a variable and the variable (which is not lost on a reboot) is what I program off.  On a reboot of my system one of the first things that my programming does is to set all of these pesky Experience Buttons to the right state based on the variable value.  I would imagine you can do the same after an update...

7 hours ago, msgreenf said:

What is your update interval for control4? You can disable auto update for those buttons

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The "Auto Update Driver Agent Event" scheduler runs every night at 3am.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is an option for turning off auto-update...at least that I know about. See image

Exper_Issue.thumb.jpg.6694561c5437f18b93b6b8c0fcbe8ac8.jpg

6 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

This is probably the easiest solution... although see below for other thoughts:

Most Experience Buttons (certainly the native C4 ones) default to off after a controller reboot (and quite possibly after an auto update - I would guess).  Some Experience Buttons don't have this issue (e.g. Alan Chow's Advanced Experience Button Suite).  I try to use his buttons for my more important variables.  

As a work around for the rest, I link the buttons to a variable and the variable (which is not lost on a reboot) is what I program off.  On a reboot of my system one of the first things that my programming does is to set all of these pesky Experience Buttons to the right state based on the variable value.  I would imagine you can do the same after an update...

I "think" I'm programming my experience button as you suggest with the variables. 

As far as "set all the pesky EB's to the right state..." after a reboot/restart...where do you do this? I would assume there is a "On Startup" event that I could do all that, but I'm not sure how to get to that...that's a great idea. Thanks

The Auto Update of native Control4 drivers is handled differently from, other auto updates (like Houselogix where it is a setting for the driver).  

I did this with my dealer a few months ago so am speaking from memory and suspect that you may need Composer Pro for this. I am not at my PC at present so can't confirm that HE does not allow this.  Essentially, newer drivers like the Experience Buttons can be set to auto update or not in a tab (probably labeled auto update or something like this) that can be accessed from the Drivers menu (or maybe it is a manage drivers menu). I don't recall ever having gone into this menu except with my dealer present, so I do suspect that there is no such menu item on HE...

2 hours ago, N8Ball said:

I "think" I'm programming my experience button as you suggest with the variables. 

As far as "set all the pesky EB's to the right state..." after a reboot/restart...where do you do this? I would assume there is a "On Startup" event that I could do all that, but I'm not sure how to get to that...that's a great idea. Thanks

To do "On Startup" programming, you go as far up the project tree (on the left in programming) as you can.  This gets you above all the rooms to an icon called Home (I think - speaking from memory) and you do the programming here.  The event name on the middle block at the top of the screen will be something fairly self explanatory like "when the project starts up".

25 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

The Auto Update of native Control4 drivers is handled differently from, other auto updates (like Houselogix where it is a setting for the driver).  

I did this with my dealer a few months ago so am speaking from memory and suspect that you may need Composer Pro for this. I am not at my PC at present so can't confirm that HE does not allow this.  Essentially, newer drivers like the Experience Buttons can be set to auto update or not in a tab (probably labeled auto update or something like this) that can be accessed from the Drivers menu (or maybe it is a manage drivers menu). I don't recall ever having gone into this menu except with my dealer present, so I do suspect that there is no such menu item on HE...

To do "On Startup" programming, you go as far up the project tree (on the left in programming) as you can.  This gets you above all the rooms to an icon called Home (I think - speaking from memory) and you do the programming here.  The event name on the middle block at the top of the screen will be something fairly self explanatory like "when the project starts up".

That's it, I knew there had to be a place somewhere...Brilliant...thanks a ton

13 hours ago, N8Ball said:

The "Auto Update Driver Agent Event" scheduler runs every night at 3am.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is an option for turning off auto-update..

Sure you can - it's actually just a scheduled event - you can delete that event, or better (to prevent reappearances) set it to not repeat anymore. Of course that means ALL drivers using this feature no longer update anymore....

Archived