C4 Forums | Control4

Outlet dimmer or outlet switch?

atsokolas79

Question

I'm hoping someone can tell me what part I need. I have a fireplace that has a fan blower to circulate the air. Currently the blower is just plugged into an outlet and has a knob that I turn to adjust the speed if needed. 

If I want to add this to my control 4 system. Would I need to buy an outlet switch, outlet dimmer, or fan speed control? 

My installer says he needs to look into it, he believes the outlet dimmer will burn out the motor. He is not sure if the fan speed control is compatible. He says the outlet switch will definitely work but I would not be able to adjust the speed unless I manually turn the knob. 

11 answers to this question

Thanks for the response. So I looked up the fan control and this is what i found. This is a switch, so would I wire this to the outlet and have c4 Switch power the outlet on? Control4® Wireless Fan Speed Controller, 120V—C4-4SF120 

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Dimmer won't work, switch will but yes no speed control - fan controller would technically work, but depends on the power rating for the fan blower - I would expect it's not that high though so is likely fine.

Thanks for the response. So I looked up the fan control and this is what i found. This is a switch, so would I wire this to the outlet and have c4 Switch power the outlet on? Control4® Wireless Fan Speed Controller, 120V—C4-4SF120 

The fan controller can do it direct - normally what I see is that you have a current switch for the fan already, you would just replace that with the fan controller, set the fan knob to max and use the built in control of the fan speed controller instead.

My set up has the blower plugged into an outlet and it has a remote that turns it on and off. It has a knob that I have to manually turn to adjust the speed. All these components are concealed behind a face plate on the bottom of the fireplace where the gas valves and electronics are located. 

16 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

The fan controller can do it direct - normally what I see is that you have a current switch for the fan already, you would just replace that with the fan controller, set the fan knob to max and use the built in control of the fan speed controller instead.

My set up has the blower plugged into an outlet and it has a remote that turns it on and off. It has a knob that I have to manually turn to adjust the speed. All these components are concealed behind a face plate on the bottom of the fireplace where the gas valves and electronics are located. 

The cleanest way to do this would be to use a dual gang outlet box and to install the fan speed controller and a new outlet into it.

Have a grounded plug run out of the back of it to plug into the existing outlet to provide power to new fan speed controller.

Have the fan speed controller load output (red) go to gold screw on new outlet.

Ground from plug wire (green) go to green on fan speed controller and green screw on outlet.

Next, the neutral wire (white) from plug wire go to white on fan speed controller and silver screw on outlet.

And finally, black wire from plug wire to the black wire on fan speed controller.

This will allow you to plug in the new 2 gang box into existing outlet. Then plug in fan controller into 2 gangs new outlet. When fan speed controller turned on, power is added to the new outlet.

Happy Automating!!

8 hours ago, VINCELdUB said:

The cleanest way to do this would be to use a dual gang outlet box and to install the fan speed controller and a new outlet into it.

Have a grounded plug run out of the back of it to plug into the existing outlet to provide power to new fan speed controller.

Have the fan speed controller load output (red) go to gold screw on new outlet.

Ground from plug wire (green) go to green on fan speed controller and green screw on outlet.

Next, the neutral wire (white) from plug wire go to white on fan speed controller and silver screw on outlet.

And finally, black wire from plug wire to the black wire on fan speed controller.

This will allow you to plug in the new 2 gang box into existing outlet. Then plug in fan controller into 2 gangs new outlet. When fan speed controller turned on, power is added to the new outlet.

Happy Automating!!

Thanks for the response, originally that's how I thought it should be done. This is how I have always switched outlets on standard electrical systems. I am just a homeowner and I am not to familiar with c4. I am trying to do the labor and have the programmer just come in and do all of his stuff. Thanks for the info

The problem that may have is space requirements.  At least in my fireplace, there is a single gang box that is permanently attached to the firebox housing and no way you can add an additional gang to the box, at least legally.

If there is room, kill the power to that circuit and cut the MC/Romex before it goes into the outlet box.  Add a new single gang box and install the fan controller in this box.  Make sure to tie the red wire of the FC to the black (hot) wire that goes to the outlet.  Then you just tie all whites (neutral), blacks (hot) and grounds (bare copper or green) together.

Now the FC is in line and before the outlet.  Ready to be added to system.  Use your fireplace remote and turn the blower on and set the adjustable speed to max setting.  Put fireplace remote away in a drawer somewhere.  All control will now be done by the C4 FC.

This all assumes that the blower is within specs of the FC.

Archived