C4 Forums | Control4

BlueIris: what exactly does it do?

jmarenda

So, if I go the BlueIris route, would it be better to run recording/storage through a computer with large capacity?  Trying to figure out pros/cons vs. having it, or not having it, then what path (NVR vs. BlueIris w/ computer) is the preferred path to travel.

Just now, jmarenda said:

So, if I go the BlueIris route, would it be better to run recording/storage through a computer with large capacity?  Trying to figure out pros/cons vs. having it, or not having it, then what path (NVR vs. BlueIris w/ computer) is the preferred path to travel.

Blue Iris using a computer as an NVR. you don't need an NVR and Blue Iris

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

I record to nas drive 

It would likely be cheaper to just drop a few 'purple' drives into the computer for storage though, plus you're dropping even more traffic onto the network - but yeah that works fine as well.

Two separate questions...

Any recommendations on a computer or nas setup (leaning towards purple drives but not sure what computer I would need without having to piece one together)?  Would likely have it focused just on the system and not use it day to day.  I already have the monitor/display to use.

And, is there a solution where if the camera detects motion in any given area, that it would turn the display on automatically, if the display were off?

Archived