C4 Forums | Control4

8 IP Cameras and all needed... to convert from analog to IP

tims

Hi Guys, I have 8 cameras hooked up with an older analog system where the coax runs to the cameras and they power block is in a network room. I want to convert them to IP and use newer cameras that can send me notifications etc.... with much better resolution? Anyone have a setup for a deal? I definately want the notifications etc... 

I would look at the Hikvision Hybrid Turbo series of DVRs. You can use your existing coax wiring and replace the old cameras with up to 3MP analog cameras without rewiring, depending on DVR model. We use these a lot for retro situations. And these DVRs also allow integration of IP cameras so you can expand. DRV drivers are available from Houselogix for Control4 integration and work well.

so i just bought the armcrest setup to replace my analog. Turns out they also have a system that does the same thing ie... using the existing coax with newer style cameras not IP tho. Will update once I install 

58 minutes ago, adamt said:

Personally, I would recommend NOT using HIK, but thats just because I dont like sending all of my data to the Chinese government......and yes, thats true.

Seriously....not this again. Yes, there have been vulnerabilities found which Hikvision has addressed with firmware upgrades. This happens with many, many technology products. 

1 hour ago, AK1 said:

Seriously....not this again. Yes, there have been vulnerabilities found which Hikvision has addressed with firmware upgrades. This happens with many, many technology products. 

So here are the facts according to one of the best CCTV research companies out there.

#1 Fact - Hikvision CEO Admits China Government Ownership

#2 Fact - Hikvision Financials Confirm Government Control

#3 Fact - Hikvision's VP R&D Works For The Chinese Government

#4 Fact - Hikvision's Chairman Is A Communist Party Secretary

#5 Fact - Hikvision Pledges Accepting Communist Party Leadership 

Also the fact the US Govt has BANNED the HIK stuff in Installations world wide doesn't mean anything either? I am not talking back doors, I am talking ALL OF YOUR VIDEO, PASSWORDS, LOGINS and more all go from the US cloud, to the Chinese cloud, to a Chinese address and back. I worked for a CCTV Manufacturer and can tell you HIK and all 34 of their sub brands will never be in an install of mine!

1 hour ago, AK1 said:

Vulnerabilities are not the same as backdoors....

US Govt has BANNED the HIK stuff in Installations world wide

? So they banned the whole world from using them? If that worked, why are you even remotely concerned about the Chinese government?

2 hours ago, adamt said:

ALL OF YOUR VIDEO, PASSWORDS, LOGINS

Dunno about you, but my login and password are not the same on any two devices. Proper precaution. And if they want to ironically stare at my Chinese inspired garden....from China - so be it. :lol: 'Course, you're assuming I send anything to the cloud to begin with.

all go from the US cloud

If you're so concerned, then worry about who has access to that cloud.

;)

Now back to OP - why insist on IP camera's at all? There are HD quality analogue cameras and DVRs that can handle the motion sensing and notification just fine, even SNAPAV's Luma line can do this.

'Course those are made in China so............:blink:

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Now back to OP - why insist on IP camera's at all? There are HD quality analogue cameras and DVRs that can handle the motion sensing and notification just fine, even SNAPAV's Luma line can do this.

'Course those are made in China so............:blink:

Cy, actually your correct you can get up to 5MP over coax now.

And the Chinese thing should only worry you if its a HIK or HIK white label brand. No other Chinese companies are owned and managed by the Chinese government :D

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

? So they banned the whole world from using them? If that worked, why are you even remotely concerned about the Chinese government?

Dunno about you, but my login and password are not the same on any two devices. Proper precaution. And if they want to ironically stare at my Chinese inspired garden....from China - so be it. :lol: 'Course, you're assuming I send anything to the cloud to begin with.

If you're so concerned, then worry about who has access to that cloud.

;)

Cy, Also the United States government as a whole BANNED HIK not the world. Its not so much that they have access to it but the question should loom, why do they send it to them and back? Why not just let it bounce in our cloud. I worked for the other Chinese company and we went over this daily. Investigated it, checked sources, all that. Its actually a battle and marketing plan for my old company.

Archived