C4 Forums | Control4

Is there such a network device....or app

eggzlot

where if a device went offline (lost its IP address) I could get a push alert on my cell phone?

My rack is a wiring mess - and the original installer did not label any wire.  I'd love to be able to pop out a wire, get a notice on my phone X device is offline and I can label the wire and pop it back into the switch.

I know there are iOS apps like iNet where you can see what is online.  So I could just keep hitting refresh and cycle through my 70 odd IP devices and figure it out but that is time consuming

Would also be helpful if I was at work and saw something was down or goes off/online frequently without me doing anything I may need to investigate further.

i thought wattbox was more about power management and ability to reboot?  Also I got a feeling they are expensive?  My main goal is literally to label wires in my rack, so just want to pop something out of a switch, get a notification that X device is offline, label the cable and pop it back in.

Could you just log in to your router or switch and see a listing of what MAC addresses are on your network??

Thats probably going to be the easiest/cheapest way of doing this.  Take it in strides as to not overwhelm yourself!!

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

Could you just log in to your router or switch and see a listing of what MAC addresses are on your network??

Thats probably going to be the easiest/cheapest way of doing this.  Take it in strides as to not overwhelm yourself!!

computer is upstairs, so logging in to see my switch means walking up a flight of stairs and across the house.  for 70 devices that wont be easy!  I may just use fing on iOS and just refresh after each plug pulled and see what is now offline.  tedious but may be most effective.

14 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

computer is upstairs, so logging in to see my switch means walking up a flight of stairs and across the house. for 70 devices that wont be easy! I may just use fing on iOS and just refresh after each plug pulled and see what is now offline. tedious but may be most effective.

or remote desktop into the PC with your phone

35 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

or remote desktop into the PC with your phone

hmm that is an idea.  i'll play around since I have an iPhone and an iMac and with Chrome plug ins I am sure I can figure something out.

I'm using several things for this: 

1. Furman M4320 Pro power managers with IP controller - With their cloud app or via C4 I can reset anything that goes down.  Their cloud interface will also send you and email the device drops off line for more than a set period of time (i.e. your network is down) and will cycle the power on select outlets to rest your router/modem/switches, etc...in whatever order and timing you set,   This takes care of major disruptions

2.  Like Pakedged/bakPak, and Araknis/OVCR, etc...I use the interface for my router managed switches - Ubiqiti Unifi....to get alerts when an AP goes down, etc...and to watch other ports and IP status for the whole network remotely on my PC and/or mobile. 

3. Most of my devices will send alerts if they go off line (rachio, echobee, alarm system, etc...)

Domotz is my preference.  I get email and push notifications on my phone when a device i care about drops offline.  Its also good in that you can remotely access a device via its web browser (think of connecting to a routers setup page or your NAS page remotely) and remotely power cycle devices via a pdu or outlet.

You can install it onto

1. Synology NAS
  2. QNAP NAS
  3. ReadyNAS
  4. Raspberry Pi

or just buy a prebuilt one from them using their own hardware.

Check it out

https://www.domotz.com

Domotz looks interesting.  Wonder if you could install it on an older readynas.  I have an nv+ which is like 7 years old.  Was planning on retiring it soon for a qnap but not ready for that purchase. 

I have Fing.  It's an email alert and it's not really instant.  Can take minutes for it to realize sometimes.  Normal that's fine but if I'm trying to label 70+ cables I'd prefer something more efficient.  

Archived