C4 Forums | Control4

DSC IT100 toubleshooting, C4 only communicating one-way

My alarm used to have 2-way communication with C4, but now communication seems to only be one-way.

i have a DSC alarm panel connected to an IT100 via serial, and the serial plugs into port 1 of an HC250.  In Navjgator and the c4 app I can see the alarm under the Security tab. C4 correctly shows the current alarm status (armed, disarmed, exit delay in progress, etc).  I *used* to be able to arm and disarm the alarm via the c4 app or navigator. But recently it stopped working. 

Ideas as of what this could be?  Should I try switching drivers? Disconnect and reconnect all wires? 

The wires all seem connected, notwithstanding this ghetto ass box the alarm guy or integrator stuck the It100 into and pushed into the back of a cabinet...

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

If i remember correctly I had a similar situation years ago, i can't remember for sure if it was a power cycle of the controller it was connected too or a power cycle of the DSC panel (disconnect the battery first) but a power cycle resolved my issue.

BTW these work well for sticking the IT100's to the inside of your DSC panel cabinet

Nylon Plastic Adhesive Spacer Standoff Locking Snap-In Posts Fixed Clips

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100Pcs-Nylon-Plastic-Adhesive-Spacer-Standoff-Locking-Snap-In-Posts-Fixed-Clips-/112357078843?epid=724805502&hash=item1a2900f73b:g:HqMAAOSwAANY8N3V

After powercycling the alarm it displayed a TLM Troubleshooting code. Checking the panel it turned out to be a Module Supervision error. I have contacted the installer for the programmers code so I can try to reset it. 

I'm guessing the error is recognizing that input from C4 aren't be recognized by the alarm for some reason?  I could try disconnecting the serial output from the DSC panel and see if the error clear but I'm not feeling very much like doing differential diagnosis (even though I did enjoy the tv show House).

I also unhooked the IT100 from the HC250 and took the wires off the cable for about 5 minutes then wired it back up. C4 navigator doesn't show the error message anymore, but the orange triangle is still lit on the DSC wall keypad. 

I will pass the one by googling about module supervision errors in DSC alarms for the immediate future.  I may require some scotch or bourbon.  

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

Is the system monitored? That comm trouble will clear itself when it checks in or call ur alarm company and put the system on test and hit the medical button or set the alarm off and once it dials out call them back to see if they got the signal and the alarm will go away

2 hours ago, knowitall said:

The system isn't monitored and you don't have the installer code? Default is 5555

you can find how to turn off communications. Which should have been done on install if it's not monitored. 

Negative, ghost rider. He didn't leave the default 5555. I've tried about 40 other combinations of the obvious (1111, 1234, corner and line patterns, last 4 digits of the installers cell phone etc) and haven't guessed it yet. Waiting to hear back from him on what it is. 

Interestingly, this morning I woke up and the orange Trouble triangle was gone. Pressing *2 caused the orange triangle to light up and flash but it didn't display any trouble code numbers on the display. 

My wife is not enthused by my tinkering with wires and making the panels beep. 

I suppose my step will be to call a different local alarm guy, sign up for monitoring with him, let him reset the entire system and reprogram my zones (the wires are labeled, fortunately). I'll check around on who has good prices on monitoring. 

If system is not outside-monitored (and you are doing it through C4), replace the board and move on.  I had a very lame company install & change codes and monitor until I pulled an alarm myself and waited for the call that never came.  My replacement board came to me for less than $70...

Well, you won't be out of the woods completely.  All zone programming will need to be re-established.  Short of getting the installer code, you really have little choice.  Are you positive the back-up battery is up to the task?  No comm error?  

All errors are gone now. No module supervision code is being thrown. I also installed a new backup battery out of an abundance of caution. 

Disconnecting the phone line in the panel makes keypad throw a Telephone error (3). Reconnecting it clears the error. 

Control 4 Navigator receives comm from panel and properly displays status (armed, disarmed, exit delay). No lag.

Commands input on C4 app or tv navigator still have zero effect on alarm panel. IT100 is blinking green.

So I'm back to where I started. 

Maybe I'll swap drivers and see if two-way communication with the IT100 can happen. 

• 4 weeks later...

I replaced the IT-100 and now everything works perfectly. I didn't even have to power cycle the system, as soon as I plugged in the new board it was able to communicate 2-ways.  

I was also able to guess the installers code after a couple of hundred brute force attempts. 

Now I can move ahead with setting up monitoring as Dave w suggested. 

Thanks everyone!

Archived