C4 Forums | Control4

Unifi Controller on Qnap NAS?

Dave w

Anybody been successful at getting a Unifi Controller running in a QNAP nas?  I've been trying to get mine to work all week with no luck using Container Station.  I can get the controller up and running and access it but cant get it to recognize any devices. Seems to be a port mapping issue.  Open to any suggestions or tricks. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 7/19/2017 at 5:02 PM, Dave w said:

Anybody been successful at getting a Unifi Controller running in a QNAP nas?  I've been trying to get mine to work all week with no luck using Container Station.  I can get the controller up and running and access it but cant get it to recognize any devices. Seems to be a port mapping issue.  Open to any suggestions or tricks. 

No experience with a NAS and Unifi Controller... But would it be simpler just to put a $80 Unifi Cloud key plugged into your switch?  

On 7/31/2017 at 10:18 PM, Dave w said:

No because the cloud key does not support the current firmware version and there is no timeline for an update release.  I got it working on the nas. Like all things UniFi it just took a few tries.  

Glad you got it to work... I thought about attempting to put on my Synology NAS but in the end just built a simple linux server and used it for the Unifi Controller and the Unifi NVR software.   Works awesome.

I installed it using container station.  If you download and run that and then search for UBNT containers you will find the jacobalberty/unifi:5.5.19  container.   Install and run that and configure your ports and stuff.   If you google search the container name you will find threads on the setup .  It took several tries to get it running.  But it has been stable since...

-dw

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have my QNAP TVS-882 on my network with a UniFi Cloud Controller, 4 x UniFi switches, and 5 x UniFi APs. I haven't integrated it into my C4 system yet, but I can access all the media from anywhere on my network and remotely. I'm running Plex Media Server on my QNAP, so to be able to use the UI, you just need a client running Plex. I can access the media using multiple types of interfaces, but Plex is easiest to access everything in one place. I plan to setup my QNAP NAS next week to be able to view all the media using C4, but right now, you just need to run the Media Server on your NAS and any client on your network should be able to access all the media. 

Archived