C4 Forums | Control4

Press vs Single tap

OK, probably stupid question, but lets just call it a Newbie question.

I am playing Pandora in the kitchen and have a 6 button keypad.  I have it set up so that button 3 and 6, one raises the volume and one lowers the volume.  The way I have it programmed is that a single tap of each will either raise or lower it +/- 5.  It does work, but it kind of sucks.

What is the difference between the press and the single tap?

and lets say I want to raise it +15.  I would have to tap it 3 times, but would that be counted as a triple tap vs a single tap?  Do I program the double tap to raise it +10 and triple +15, etc??

What about if I just wanted to hold the up or down button and it goes up or down like a TV remote?  How would I do that?

Anyway thanks for all of the help.

One last thing.  When I am done I just want to turn off the audio zone, not the entire room.  How do I just shut off the audio zone?

Programming a "press" would initiate programming attached immediately while a "single tap" would delay programming by 1 second to allow for a potential double or triple tap and any programming associated.  Programming volume on a button to work like a remote is pretty simple but there's a cruicial 2nd part to it.  You program a button PRESS to START volume up of that particular room.  The cruicial part is to program a button RELEASE to STOP volume up in that room.  If you forget that part, you may blow your speakers or blow the roof off your house (depending on amp and speakers).  Volume down is similar but you program a START volume down on a PRESS and STOP volume down on RELEASE.

Turning off an audio zone would depend on the source that's playing in that room. A Room off command doesn't turn off lights, just the tv (video media) and the audio.  You may also consider adding another room (even though you're physically in the same room) for just audio sources so that the TV doesn't turn off when you turn off the new room designated just for audio.

OH cool, never thought of doing what you are doing.  Makes sense.  So if you didn't program the release, then it would keep going to 100.  Do you give it some sort of ramp rate so that it isn't really quick?

Not that way.  I'll send a snapshot.  I gave you the paraphrased way of how to program it.  Once programmed to a keypad button of your choice, press and hold the button and don't let go until you get to the desired volume level.

The volume control for the assigned keypad button (or top/bottom button of dimmer or switch) needs to be programmed within the room.  My example is programming for volume control in my garage.

Or add the room control driver to that room. Then bind the vol- to the volume down button on the room control keypad and the vol+ To the volume up button on the room control keypad. Done and done. No press and release programming needed. Holding it ramps it with just the bindings made.

another good way to use press and release is for a timer. i find for older people and the wives dont understand how to triple or double tap. so starting a timer on press and stopping on release can allow you to program functions for press and hold i like 3 seconds as a good measure

1 minute ago, Matt Lowe said:

another good way to use press and release is for a timer. i find for older people and the wives dont understand how to triple or double tap. so starting a timer on press and stopping on release can allow you to program functions for press and hold i like 3 seconds as a good measure

So,

Are you saying that you could program something different for a 3 second press vs a 6 second press?

Or for old people you could set it up so that it plays REALLY loud music unless they sit there all day and hold the button.  Maybe this will work for my kids.

So normally you would have something for a normal push and something else for a press and hold.

For example the top light switch on all of my keypads will activate a panic signal if pressed and held for 3 seconds. A normal press and release activates the normal light function.

Ive had this in place for 3 years and only twice has someone inadvertently activated the panic alarm.

Good use of that feature. The press/hold/release with a 2 second delay or more is great for room off or multiple room off in case to prevent an accidental wrong button press.  You could end up with an awkward situation when the party music stops and everyone starts booing because of an accidental single tap with an elbow.  This can happen by accident easily with single tap programming for room off. Especially when you have kids that like slapping buttons until something happens.

On 7/26/2017 at 7:40 AM, dcovach said:

Good use of that feature. The press/hold/release with a 2 second delay or more is great for room off or multiple room off in case to prevent an accidental wrong button press.  You could end up with an awkward situation when the party music stops and everyone starts booing because of an accidental single tap with an elbow.  This can happen by accident easily with single tap programming for room off. Especially when you have kids that like slapping buttons until something happens.

I've had similar happen - I have a 'good night' option when I tap my hallway dimmer 3 times. 

During party time, kids often play in the hallway and some like to play with the light switches - very frustrating when the whole house goes dark in the middle of a party.

I know have a variable 'PartyMode' which I set to true/false using a customer button.

Now each of my 'good night'/ 'house off' / 'arm security' type options will only work if the PartyMode = false.

• 2 weeks later...

whilst o n the topic of press and tap, i have a question.

I have a multi keypad button controlling (just on/off), family lights, dining, kitchen, bench top lights, flood lights and a lamp. It works great, no issues at all. But m I able to control different location by any chance by means of x2 press or hold or can the multi key pad control other light loads, such as pool, deck, garage...ie:, the single press, turns the light on off in living, family, flood light, dining, lamp and dining and double tap turns the light in the pool, garage, deck...?

I was about to buy a few more multi keypad buttons to control all the other lights but if i can halves the amount of keypad thanks to the x2 press it would be great.

regards

Yes. Through a bit of programming and some "if" statements but you'll have to consider led behavior based on more than 1 light/scene status per button. Its likely you have those keypads bound/connected to a load (if all are 3rd gen) or an advanced scene.  Led status works nicely when "connected" without extra programming. If the're all currently programmed, then you would have to make sure to move programming to single tap. There is a one second delay using single tap vs press.

eg, when keypad 1 is single tapped

If living lights on

Turn living lights off

If living lights off

Turn living lights on

Same style works for a press/hold/release or double tap and triple tap.  You could actvate/deactivate/invoke advanced lighting scenes too with "if" statements with but you have to make sure tracking conditions of "all loads" or "any loads" are set up properly or the programming won't work when trying to use an if statement based on an "active" or "inactive" advanced lighting scene.  Invoking forces it to be active regardless if tracking conditions are met in the scene.

8 hours ago, Froggy1976 said:

whilst o n the topic of press and tap, i have a question.

I have a multi keypad button controlling (just on/off), family lights, dining, kitchen, bench top lights, flood lights and a lamp. It works great, no issues at all. But m I able to control different location by any chance by means of x2 press or hold or can the multi key pad control other light loads, such as pool, deck, garage...ie:, the single press, turns the light on off in living, family, flood light, dining, lamp and dining and double tap turns the light in the pool, garage, deck...?

I was about to buy a few more multi keypad buttons to control all the other lights but if i can halves the amount of keypad thanks to the x2 press it would be great.

regards

while maybe you could program it, it may be hard to remember what does what.  top button single tap turns on family lights and top button double tap turns on pool lights.  Yes it is possible, but it may be hard to remember all those configurations.  Especially when you label the buttons and only see the top button saying family lights.

I usually use the 2nd and 3rd tap to further control whatever happens on the first tap.  Examples, 1st tap turns on music.  2nd tap will mute/unmute it and 3 taps will turn off the zone/turn off music.  for lights 1 tap turns it on, then I hold/press to ramp up and ramp down.  double tap and triple tap put the lights on a set % level (75% and 25% respectively).

All because you can do it does not mean it will make a good user experience

Just my $.02

Archived