C4 Forums | Control4

HC-800 Broken?

Hello, I have inherited a HC-800 which appears to be a bit sick! It does power up, the fan runs and the network activity light blinks at different rates but absolutely no lights on the front panel even if I follow the network reset process or factory reset. Nothing on the screen when the HDMI is connected either. I have also used WireShark on my PC to see if I could see anything from its MAC Address etc but nothing either.

Is there any other "hard reset" process etc to attempt to bring it back to life?

Thanks

3 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Do you have it hooked up to a TV? You should see it booting if so. That's a other thing to check

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi, I have tried booting from cold attached to a TV and also nothing (only tried via HDMI). 

3 hours ago, thegreatheed said:

Since you're probably out of warranty, open it up, and make sure the cables to the 'front panel' are connected. That includes the internal ROM. I haven't heard of one getting disconnected in a long time, but it's a possibility.

Correct! The ribbon cable connector has been damaged so i've ordered a suitable replacement. Also took the opportunity to mount the flash drive in my external caddie and all the partitions mount so looks like the storage is ok. So the front panel not connected would cause it to not boot?

On 7/24/2017 at 9:39 PM, thegreatheed said:

yep, the storage with the C4 software is in the DOM which mounts in the front panel.

when a controller powers up, doesn't boot, and you get no LEDs on the front, that's usually the culprit.

Unfortunately I have connected the new ribbon cable and still no lights and it won't boot :-(

How annoying!

20 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

Maybe an issue with the daughterboard that the DOM connects to, then, or even the motherboard. That sucks. I don't know of any ways to fix or repair those. :( I was hoping that was it.

Thank you anyway for your help. What a shame

On 7/24/2017 at 5:59 PM, thegreatheed said:

Since you're probably out of warranty, open it up, and make sure the cables to the 'front panel' are connected. That includes the internal ROM. I haven't heard of one getting disconnected in a long time, but it's a possibility.

Correct! The ribbon cable connector has been damaged so i've ordered a suitable replacement. Also took the opportunity to mount the flash drive in my external caddie and all the partitions mount so looks like the storage is ok. So the front panel not connected would cause it to not boot?

15 hours ago, thegreatheed said:

Maybe an issue with the daughterboard that the DOM connects to, then, or even the motherboard. That sucks. I don't know of any ways to fix or repair those. :( I was hoping that was it.

I wonder if it is worth looking for another dead HC-800 and swapping out the front panel? Or just throwing good money after bad! It pains me to throw this away

I have had this issue. Even out of warranty it was a first gen HC-800 and control4 allowed me to get it repaired. They charged me $200usd for a repair and sent me a newer repaired hc800. Worth asking your dealer. Or send me the MAC address and I will ask them for you.

Happy Automating!!

• 10 months later...

Archived