C4 Forums | Control4

Atmos through Matrix Question

I have a system with an Atlona PRO344M HDMI Matrix. I have a Oppo bluray into this matrix which feeds TV's around the house (Audio through the HDMI to TV's) and also feeding a theater room receiver.

To get ATMOS I have to turn on bitstream, which causes me to lose my atmos in the theater. Am I not able to see the forest through the trees here? I'd like to (Well customer would like) have Atmos in theater and also be able to play it in the other rooms and have stereo sound there.

With a audio amp - i'd just send the analog outs to the amp - but all the audio for the rooms goes through the TV's. (House was wired before we came along)

looks like an edid issue as the matrix is capable of atmos.

remeber most matrix's use the lowest common denominator. so if you have one stereo device it will force everything to stereo. it would be to call atlona and walk you through it.

oh yea thats because those tvs can not understand dolby atmos that would be the correct function. you cant do both, or you need to add a dolby sound bar with hdmi in between or in celing speakers with analog audio from the source.

It's implied that the Oppo can direct connect to the receiver for HDMI without needing the matrix?

Don't know if it will play nice, and you may need some EDID bandaid as well, but perhaps an HDMI audio embedder, where you take the analog outputs of the Oppo into the embedder with the 2nd HDMI output of the Oppo, and it replaces the DD HDMI audio stream from the Oppo and that gets output to the matrix for the rest of the house?

Found this one, I know there's others out there

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-BlackbirdTM-HDMI-Audio-Inserter/dp/B01B5FR7PY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501078285&sr=8-3&keywords=hdmi+audio+embedder

Archived