C4 Forums | Control4

ITUNES PC CONTROL4

Vaccaros

Question

12 answers to this question

Yes, but i think you can only airplay movies from the itunes library (using c4 nav) to other ios airplay devices or apple tv's. You can add the itunes movie library to the c4 database but those will only play to compatible media players (kodi device).

The disadvantage of the itunes airplay driver is there is no ability to call up music playlists or video via programming from that library to play from a button press or by another means other than through the nav

I recall it being really messy (and a bit buggy) but my dealer and I eventually got movies playing from the movie library via airplay to an AppleTV direct from the C4 database... I know I posted on this at the time (a year or so back). I scarcely use this as I tend to simply use the AppleTV direct for movies but we did finally get it working.  

Im not sure what you mean about not being able to play music from a button press? I have my wife's playlist (on a PC) playing from a keypad button press via the iTunes driver. A double click plays my playlist (but mine does not use the iTunes driver but rather digital media as my music is stored on a NAS directly accessible from C4. My wife's music is on a Mac and her playlist is forever being updated with new songs by her using Apple Music on her iPad.  The updates go straight to iTunes on the Mac and play perfectly via pressing the keypad button... No intervention needed on the Mac or in C4... 

AFAIK its not possible to program a playlist to play from your itunes library with this driver. Some of your itunes folders were probably imported into the c4 database and then new playlists were created.  From there your partially "imported" itunes library would be in available in MYMUSIC and for programming when selecting audio type in the room.  Was your itunes music brought in a different way?  Theres other devices that handle itunes a lot better.

25 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

my dealer and I eventually got movies playing from the movie library via airplay to an AppleTV direct from the C4 database

Thats definitely possible from what i remember. Its been a while since i've used the driver but you can import the video library into c4 but you have to adjust the driver to auto play in the room you want.  I used to use this until xbmc came around. 

19 hours ago, dcovach said:

AFAIK its not possible to program a playlist to play from your itunes library with this driver. Some of your itunes folders were probably imported into the c4 database and then new playlists were created.  From there your partially "imported" itunes library would be in available in MYMUSIC and for programming when selecting audio type in the room.  Was your itunes music brought in a different way?  Theres other devices that handle itunes a lot better.

I am definitely programming the playlist to play direct from the iTunes driver.  I know that because this part I did myself in HE. I will try and have a look at my code this weekend and let you know what I did. I know it was pretty easy. If memory serves me correctly, I had to manually type the playlist name in to an action on the left before dragging it to the center code scree and I was very skeptical whether it would work but it did! In other words, while it has he playlist functionality on the driver, the action screen in Composer does not populate with available playlists like digital music does... but it does allow you to type the name in.

It did create some hassles for me as I have Buttons all over the house that play various different playlists (on click, double click, triple click etc.).  The problem that I had was that the first thing all the code did was to check if music was playing and if so turn it off. If not, it played the relevant playlist. This was all cool when I was using Digital Music playlists for everything. When I did all the hard work of making one of these options play my wife's iTunes playlist it worked fine for turning it on but once on, my button press checked if Digital Muisc was playing... found it wasn't and then either did nothing or turned on one of my Digital Music playlists instead of turning off the iTunes playlist. This is a bug I still have in my setup (thanks for the reminder) and I must actually try and fix it on the weekend...

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I had to manually type the playlist name in to an action on the left before dragging it to the center code scree and I was very skeptical whether it would work but it did!

I will try this out as i've never seen this option. Thanks for the explanation.

You were right.  I had to scroll down just a bit further (further than normal)  to see the drop down list for device specific/start playlist with an manual entry option.  I owe you a shot.  How does a springbokkie sound?

Archived