C4 Forums | Control4

Room Off Doesn't Turn Off TV

I moved a TV from inside to outside on the patio. Using app or remote, TV properly turns on and tunes to source (cable, appleTV, whatever) and IR module flashes when appropriate.  However when I Turn Room Off, IR module does not flash, source DOES deactivate, but TV screen does not turn off and a few moments later the "check signal blahblahblah" message appears on screen.  Question: Is this a simple programming issue?  Or is it something where I need to physically perform some tasks to get the tv back in sync with the remote/app (powering it on or off before hitting watch source or something, etc).

Second issue, a TV upstairs which has heretofore always turned on/turned off properly when responding to remote control commands has recently started having same problem (TV won't turn itself off but source goes away).  This is a TV my kids use to play Xbox and the Xbox isn't accessed through C4 remote (they just change the TV source to the xbox HDMI slot and turned the power on manually) so I'm thinking something has gotten out of sync and that I ought to get the Xbox programmed.  Question: is there a way I can manually resync the power on/off for TV back up?  Or do I just need to get the programming straightened out for the xbox.

BONUS ISSUE!  Not worthy of its own thread. I have a Ubiquiti AP Pro inside my house that connected fine at 1000 duplex (wall up to an 8 port pakedge gigabit switch).  I moved it outside, and all of a sudden it defaults to 100fdx instead of 1000.  Switched from cat5 to cat 6 same thing, let the switch power it and same problem, used the POE injector and same thing, connected it to the LAN out of balun and  a POE injector and same issue, it's connecting a 24 port pakedge gigabit switch.  Question: wtf

there are a lots of reasons but first stuff I would check

1. Check TV driver. It might use on/off "macros" with empty "off", it might be use or you have no ir code for "power off"

2. for wap, check your cable. for gigabit connection system uses 4 pairs of wires, for regular just 2 pairs, if you have damaged cable or connector it can be an issue.

you didn't say what make/model TV you have, but there have been some recent issues with Sony's and IP control after last few firmware updates.  The update was resetting some of the settings for IP control and the shared key which needs to match the entry in C4.  You may want to check that.  Its possible the full unplug power cycle updated the firmware.  Not sure if other TVs had same issue.  

Thanks guys. TV is a samsung UN557100AFXZA. My dealer moved it and reprogrammed. Must have just missed the Tv off part. I've asked them to fix it. 

Dealer installed the access point behind the patio tv when doing the tv install, he checked the cable, switched cables, used a tester etc. but couldn't figure out why it's at 100fdx.  I'm going to get another access point from my office and bring it home and see if that changes anything.  If I can't figure it out I'll get a networking guy to come out and stop jacking around with it myself. 

Thanks everyone. 

big mistake installing the wap behind a tv, the interference that occurs when that happens is unbelievable, you definitely do not want it behind a tv, that will not be the reason its connecting at 100 though, that could be factors as such, poor terminations, bad cable. incorrect settings, or incorrect settings in managed switch or even a loose not tight inserted cable into wap or switch. buy a cheap tester from home depot, or amazon and test your cable. make sure inserted into ports fully,  and definitely move that wap from behind your tv.

Thanks tekki70.  I took the AP to the rack and connected it directly to the pakedge gigabit port and it's connected at 1000.  Must be the wire or connectors.  I'll try to chase down the issue.

Good point on it being behind the TV, I was trying to keep it out of sight and really only have it out there to catch a wifi signal within 50 feet of the tv while I'm watching it. I have iPerf and will see what kind of connection I get.  I wish I could put it up on the ceiling but I don't have attic access out there. the in ceiling speakers were prewired.

I appreciate all the help on my noob issues.

TV Power On/Off: Now resolved.  Dealer came back out to give me new light switch covers for a couple places and he redid the programming to the TV.  It was receiving the command, it just wasn't executing it. He took the programming out, did it again, and now it works.  I'll blame a Samsung gremlin for it for now.

Cable tester: I got a cheap cable tester and now think I probably need a good one.  The cheapo lit up all green.  Both ends seem crimped correctly and I tightened them up, still at 100 duplex.  Might be kinked in the wall somewhere.  But it's weird that this is happening with both a Cat5 and a Cat6 cable, I wouldn't have expected both to be bad. Re-crimp both ends with new connectors and cut a little bit off is my next step.

Archived