C4 Forums | Control4

DirecTV HS-17 (Genie 2) - New drivers required?

C4 Fan

I'm considering updating my DirecTV system from DVRs to the new HS-17 (Genie 2) with the C61K clients.  Does anyone know if new drivers are required or would the drivers for the DirecTV HR54 likely work?  My current DVRs are connected via IR bugs.  HC-800 controller.

Thank you.

the hs17 is a server it does not have a video output so you would be controlling the minis like normal.

mini's however do not have power control and i believe the new server allows 7 at a time so you will need to turn them on and off with ir if you need it.

On 8/7/2017 at 2:51 PM, Matt Lowe said:

the hs17 is a server it does not have a video output so you would be controlling the minis like normal.

mini's however do not have power control and i believe the new server allows 7 at a time so you will need to turn them on and off with ir if you need it.

when i had Directv, i thought i just leaved the mini clients on all the time....

On 8/8/2017 at 5:55 PM, ejn1 said:

when i had Directv, i thought i just leaved the mini clients on all the time....

you can do this but the Genie servers have a limit of how many clients can be active at one time. If you have more clients then the genie can handle.

This HS17 is the most bizarre thing. Looks like a giant modem, not rack mountable, no local video support, only 7 tuners. Reported a 25% speed boos to the clients which is nice. Can not be paired with any other dvr and only one on the account total. So more like an in-and-out for the ATT techs. 

11 hours ago, thecodeman said:

This HS17 is the most bizarre thing. Looks like a giant modem, not rack mountable, no local video support, only 7 tuners. Reported a 25% speed boos to the clients which is nice. Can not be paired with any other dvr and only one on the account total. So more like an in-and-out for the ATT techs. 

I thought same thing but I guess it saves the space in one location which can now use the client instead of main unit...    I switched to the DISH Hopper from Directv but left my Directv Dish up so i can go back and forth in the future.  

20 minutes ago, ejn1 said:

I thought same thing but I guess it saves the space in one location which can now use the client instead of main unit...    I switched to the DISH Hopper from Directv but left my Directv Dish up so i can go back and forth in the future.  

I recently switched to Dish as well at my own home, and I love the hopper 3.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, rolldog said:

Also, the HS17 is completely wireless.

Not true. The HS17 has an Ethernet port of it's own for wired LAN.

The C61 4K client boxes use coax.

RVU TVs use Coax - Deca - Ehternet Port (you do not appear to be able to do RVU TVs with your own network switch and category cabling, which you could get away with prior Genie)

And yes, IP address and Room Name gets you control of clients using existing drivers, with the power off exclusion.

On 10/17/2017 at 5:11 PM, shad0whands said:

Does the driver support DirecTV DVR program access? 

No, however the Dish Network Hopper 3 MSP (media services proxy) does. I can view recordings for example on my DVR and select a show directly. Does not push the guide data though. 

5 hours ago, RAV said:

RVU TVs use Coax - Deca - Ehternet Port (you do not appear to be able to do RVU TVs with your own network switch and category cabling, which you could get away with prior Genie)

And yes, IP address and Room Name gets you control of clients using existing drivers, with the power off exclusion.

Oh, I spoke with DIRECTV yesterday about upgrading to the HS17, and whoever I spoke with told me that it was completely wireless. Just another example of poor customer support or she might have meant wireless as in no HDMI cable. I was wondering how they expect a 25% increase in speed while going from a hard wired connection to wireless. Oh well, at least you just answered my question about it working with my current system. She said they send a mini receiver with it when it's ordered. 

Regarding the limitations of power control, I have all my receivers connected to a Wattbox, which is an IP controlled surge protector/line conditioner. This can power off the clients so you don't get a message about having too many receivers online. Every TV in my house is 4K HDR. I never had a problem with having too many 4K video streams since DIRECTV only has one 4K channel, but I used to get a message about having too many receivers online. I have 2 receivers that are local, and the others are connected to my matrix. My current Genie, the HR54, isn't even used with a TV. I have it connected to a monitor so I can access the menu settings, but swapping it out for this new one would be ideal now that I know it can be hard wired to the network.

Hopefully they've fixed the problem with my clients constantly going offline. At least once a week, I need to go through the internet settings on the HR54, select advanced, then wired before my clients show that they're back online. 

• 5 months later...
On 11/13/2017 at 7:44 AM, RAV said:

I realize this post is old, but hopefully someone can respond because I'm having issues with DIRECTV. RAV - You mentioned here that the DIRECTV clients can use IP control. When I switched to the Genie 2, I had to have all the clients changed to IR control since the clients connected to the Genie 2 do not have their own IP address. It's very odd because sometimes they do, but most of the time they have a link local IP address, which is how they communicate with the Genie 2. Are you saying that it's possible to use IP control for the clients on a Genie 2 system? 

IR repeaters had to be setup on all of my clients, and one of my clients just stopped responding to IR repeater. It's been working fine for months, but about 2 weeks ago, one of my clients completely stopped responding to the IR repeater. It still responds to the IR remote control, just not the IR repeater. I need to either switch back to the HR54, where they can all be setup for IP control or I need to switch to Dish or some other provider. If you have a Genie 2 and are able to control the clients using IP control, please let me know how this works. I would greatly appreciate it. 

Roll Dog,

For client IP Control - use the IP address of the Genie 2 (make a router reservation, DirecTVs are known to be forgetful of static settings) and input the EXACT room name of the client box.

Caveats - no IP power control of clients, and no client side 'setup menu' navigation, for that you would still need IR.

On 4/19/2018 at 4:03 PM, rolldog said:

I realize this post is old, but hopefully someone can respond because I'm having issues with DIRECTV. RAV - You mentioned here that the DIRECTV clients can use IP control. When I switched to the Genie 2, I had to have all the clients changed to IR control since the clients connected to the Genie 2 do not have their own IP address. It's very odd because sometimes they do, but most of the time they have a link local IP address, which is how they communicate with the Genie 2. Are you saying that it's possible to use IP control for the clients on a Genie 2 system? 

IR repeaters had to be setup on all of my clients, and one of my clients just stopped responding to IR repeater. It's been working fine for months, but about 2 weeks ago, one of my clients completely stopped responding to the IR repeater. It still responds to the IR remote control, just not the IR repeater. I need to either switch back to the HR54, where they can all be setup for IP control or I need to switch to Dish or some other provider. If you have a Genie 2 and are able to control the clients using IP control, please let me know how this works. I would greatly appreciate it. 

I would switch to Dish, it's night and day. But a disclaimer, I have it at my house and also am a Dish Concierge installer and have switched about 10-12 accounts from DTV in the last 8 months. DTV has gone downhill since AT&T bought them.

• 3 months later...

If I were to switch to Dish, what do I do with all my DIRECTV equipment? Is there a second market for these things or do I just eat the loss and have to buy new equipment for Dish? I've been considering cutting the cord, but there aren't any providers that offer 4K and/or HDR service. Granted, DIRECTV doesn't have much, but I feel like I would get a better picture and better sound quality using a provider instead of everyone casting to their TV.

On 4/19/2018 at 5:47 PM, RAV said:

Roll Dog,

For client IP Control - use the IP address of the Genie 2 (make a router reservation, DirecTVs are known to be forgetful of static settings) and input the EXACT room name of the client box.

Caveats - no IP power control of clients, and no client side 'setup menu' navigation, for that you would still need IR.

@rolldog I have this exact setup in my home and it works perfectly.  Let me know if you can't get it to work and I can post a screen shot.

12 hours ago, rolldog said:

Yes, that would be very helpful. Everything is still setup to use IR control with the Genie 2. I miss the functionality of IP control and seeing the name of the media currently playing in each room at the bottom of the navigator.

Here ya go.

I have the 4K Genie and 3 mini receivers. You don't need a driver at all for the Genie, only the minis.  You should have one copy of the driver installed per mini.  The IP address entered in the driver is the Genie - it should be the same IP address for all the copies of the driver.  The magic is in the 'Location Name' field.  This has to match what you have set up with DirecTV.  You can view/change the location names on the DirecTV website.  I just have mine called '1' '2' and '3' because they are all in my rack.

Capture.PNG

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 2.01.31 PM.png

Thank you very much! I'll give this a shot. Do you have trouble accessing the menu settings of each mini, like the video and audio settings? I remember before getting the Genie 2 and they were all setup for IP control, every time I tried to access the menu settings, it would lock up. For some reason, even now, I can't select Dolby Digital in the audio settings. It defaults to the regular audio. I can select Dolby Audio, but for some reason I can't even access Dolby Digital even though it's supported in every location. I have every mini set for 4K HDR, but I can't even select Dolby Digital, unless it defaults to that automatically if once 4K HDR is selected. 

Thanks again for the info! 

I’ve not noticed any problems (beyond the usual DirecTV sucks problems). The only limitation I’m aware of is that you can’t power a mini on via IP (not C4’s fault - the mini doesn’t support it). That’s why there’s the option for disabling power off in the driver. You’ll need to manually power them back on after a power failure, I suspect, but other than that they’ve worked fine. 

• 3 years later...
On 8/12/2018 at 1:07 PM, livitup said:

Here ya go.

I have the 4K Genie and 3 mini receivers. You don't need a driver at all for the Genie, only the minis.  You should have one copy of the driver installed per mini.  The IP address entered in the driver is the Genie - it should be the same IP address for all the copies of the driver.  The magic is in the 'Location Name' field.  This has to match what you have set up with DirecTV.  You can view/change the location names on the DirecTV website.  I just have mine called '1' '2' and '3' because they are all in my rack.

Capture.PNG

Screen Shot 2018-08-12 at 2.01.31 PM.png

Is there a version 5 of the DirectTV IP driver?  I'm on version 3 and can only find version 3 available.  I'm having intermittent disconnect issues where the logging shows the connection is good, but it times out.  Hoping that maybe a new or different version might address it.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.