C4 Forums | Control4

Wyrestorm MX-0408-PRO (RS-485 question)

hank31980

Question

Slightly off topic from a straightforward Control4 Question, but here goes.

image.thumb.png.4ef515b192e169b665c84acb93c8332b.png

I have a Wyrestorm Video Matrix in my system. It is a Wyrestorm MX-0408-PRO.

Current Routers DHCP address range is 192.168.64  to  192.168.1.253

Current static IP address for the Wyrestorm Matrix is 192.168.1.6

However I am changing over Broadband suppliers & they supply a new Router which has a different default IP address range 192.168.0.2 to 254.

So I need to be able to change the IP address of the Wyrestorm Matrix. I can see that there are 2 communication connections at the rear of the Wyrestorm.

They are as follows;

• LAN (which is currently connected & working. Hence it is configured in Control4 system as 192.168.1.6 and I can access a basic Web Interface by typing in the current IP address. unfortunately this is just for logging in & Manually switching Output/Input combinations etc, not changing IP addresses.
  • RS-485. This surprised me as i expected to find a 9 pin D-type RS-232 connector at the rear. But no sweat if I knew how to connect something between my laptops RS-232 Serial port & the RS-485 port of the Wyrestorm (which is an RJ45 type socket)?

!!!!!!!! HELP !!!!!!!

Looking in the online documentation, there is a supplied parts list which I can see includes a RS-232 to RS-485 converter listed? I don't have this as far as i know, but I guess I need to now get one?

So does anyone know what the Pinout is for the RJ45 type port marked as RS-485 is?

Has anyone experience with using this type of  Wyrestorm device and in particular changing the IP address?

• If I do get connected then I think I have to run a Comms utility called COMCTL.exe.
  • Not sure if I should be able to do this anyway via the existing IP connection that I have. I see some software called NTCTL.exe which is meant for LAN port use I think, but I cannot get to work, when I start the application it just comes up with an Error code. So not sure if its wrong software, physical connections, Windows version or what?

Any help much appreciated.

13 answers to this question

Cant you just change the new supplied routers LAN scheme to match your existing LAN? Also what ISP? I prefer when applicable to use a 3rd party router and only a modem instead of the ISPs modem/router combo because they arent worth the plastic they are molded with.

I guess I could, but it is now bugging me that I don't know how to change this setting. So I guess I will try & contact Wyrestorm for their advice, but I hope someone on this very knowledgable forum can maybe help.

If I could get access to change the IP address, then I guess I would set it to DHCP then reserve an address via the Router, so if I sell it in future or change Routers then it will always pick up a valid address via DHCP.

From what i see on their site for this model, its controlled by c4 via rs232 anyways. The driver is available on their web site. Ask them for a pinout diagram or access to buy the rs485 to rs232 converter. I'm assuming lan port is for config

On 8/8/2017 at 4:51 PM, hank31980 said:

Has anyone experience with using this type of  Wyrestorm device and in particular changing the IP address?

• If I do get connected then I think I have to run a Comms utility called COMCTL.exe.
  • Not sure if I should be able to do this anyway via the existing IP connection that I have. I see some software called NTCTL.exe which is meant for LAN port use I think, but I cannot get to work, when I start the application it just comes up with an Error code. So not sure if its wrong software, physical connections, Windows version or what?

I downloaded COMCTL.EXE and tried it with Windows 10.  I did get an error.  Then I tried it again by left clicking and chose Run as Administrator.  That worked.  I did get an error "open serial port fail" but thesoftware still opened.  I can see an option in there to change the ip address.  You do need a serial connection to change the ip with COMCTL.EXE software.  I don't know where you found NTCTL.EXE but if you have it, run it in administrator mode and see what happens.

I currently have the Matrix working via IP comms on a Control4 system so no problem there. Problem only arises to be able to change the IP setting on the Matrix.

So it looks like I need to convert my Laptops serial RS232 to the Matrix RS485 comms. Then I will probably try to use Virtual XP to run the software as I'm not sure these utility softwares will work on Win7 or beyond.

so if you can let me know a cost for this device shipped to UK that would be great.

5 hours ago, hank31980 said:

I'm not sure these utility softwares will work on Win7 or beyond.

Just to confirm, it does run on windows 10 after a couple if tries in administrator mode.  Maybe it will work on win 7. Key word, administrator mode.  Left click on the software icon to see the option near the top to run as admin.  Not sure if it runs in xp.

You have all configured and working. Then you changed the router and you start having trouble by the ip address. Just change the subnet in the router thats all. It means your ip address of the router will be 192.168.1.1 dhcp range 192.168.1.100/254 and you will be all operative again.

Sent from my HUAWEI using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, accenetmx said:

You have all configured and working. Then you changed the router and you start having trouble by the ip address. Just change the subnet in the router thats all. It means your ip address of the router will be 192.168.1.1 dhcp range 192.168.1.100/254 and you will be all operative again.

Sent from my HUAWEI using Tapatalk

I agree with @accenetmx but you will save yourself from a lot of potential issues if you get yourself a good commercial grade router when you switch ISP companies.  Do not rely on their modem/routers to manage your network reliably ESPECIALLY with a C4 system.  @sonic30101 mentioned this right at the beginning.  Its recommended you turn off all commercial functions of the isp modem/router and dumb it down to a modem and configure the "good" router to handle the rest of the network.  I still recommend getting the converter for a serial connection to your matrix but you WON'T have to do this if you configure the subnet of your  new networking equipment (modem/router)  to what is currently working right now.

9 hours ago, dcovach said:

Just to confirm, it does run on windows 10 after a couple if tries in administrator mode.  Maybe it will work on win 7. Key word, administrator mode.  Left click on the software icon to see the option near the top to run as admin.  Not sure if it runs in xp.

Well if its all the same first of all I would like to have the capability of setting the Matrix to DHCP or Static address of my choice.

Also if I sell the device in the future it may be a sticking point for any potential buyer who may want to change this address also.

So I think I would prefer to have the Wyrestorm RS232 to RS48 converter & run the Wyrestorm Utility software to do the change.

Archived