C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Yeelight Wifi RGBW LED Driver for Control4

alanchow

Chowmain%20Logo%20Transparent%20Medium.png

Chowmain - Yeelight Wifi RGB LED Lighting driver for Control4 

Yeelight manufactures a range of affordable Wifi controlled LED lighting products. The range consists of dimmable RGB, White and strip based LED lighting. These products do not need a hub like other wireless lighting products and integrate directly into Control4 with Chowmain’s Yeelight driver. This two way driver allows do dim the light, change the color of the light, change the color temperature of the light and more. 

Features 

• Two way control/feedback. 
  • Instant feedback if LED controlled from another application. 
  • Automatic Discovery of Yeelight 
  • Self Healing on change of IP Address 
  • Automatically hide RGB and/or Color Temperature’s from
  • Navigator on model detection. 
  • Change RGB color via navigator 
  • Change Brightness via navigator 
  • Change Color temperature via navigator 
  • Program color flows from Composer 
  • Advanced Lighting Scene Support 

FAQ 

Why is this better than other RGB solutions? 

• This is an extremely affordable solution (starting from $20) which does not require an additional hub to operate. 
  • We have full control over pretty much every function including color, temperature, brightness and even color flows. 
  • We have instantaneous two way feedback. If the customer uses the original application Control4 gets the change immediately. 

Where can I purchase this product from? 
Yeelight can be purchased from Amazon and other online retailers in both 220v and 110v formats. 

Yeelight Website 

What hardware does this support? 
This supports the wifi range of Yeelight products. At the time of writing this includes the RGB bulb, Mono Bulb, Desk Lamp and RGB strip based LED lighting. 

How do I find out more information about the driver? 
Please see the links below for more information about the driver. 

Chowmain Website 

Installation Guide 

How do I buy the driver? 
This driver can be purchased from our distributor driverCentral. 

Download Driver / Purchase Licence 

Who do i contact for technical support? 
We have two support desks. One in Australia and one in the US. Click on the link below for details. 

Support 

Do you provide trial licences? 
All Chowmain drivers for Control4 come with a 7 day trial. 

yeelight.png 

yeelight2.png 

• 2 months later...

Hi

does this work with the LED strip based lights and allow colour changing?

Also, I don’t seem to understand the control flow - is there a way to make the LEDs slowly fade and change through all 16 million possible colour combinations repeatedly?

Thanks.

9 hours ago, Shivam Paw said:

Hi

does this work with the LED strip based lights and allow colour changing?

Also, I don’t seem to understand the control flow - is there a way to make the LEDs slowly fade and change through all 16 million possible colour combinations repeatedly?

Thanks.

Yes it works with the RGBW strip as well.  I have it working at my place.

Yeelight is a bit weird and kind of cool. You can actually send it the sequence you want to fade from/to.  We implemented this in the driver as an action.

27 minutes ago, koxkp said:

Is there a way to group them if I’m using three strips in one area. Also, is there a cleaner way to show them in the navigator instead of 5 for every strip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can use lighting scenes to group but if you want the fade effect style then you'll need to program it through a macro.  In fact programming directly using the actions is the cleanest way.

Control4's Navigator doesn't havea RGB color wheel so unfortunately this is the best we can do.  Control4's Philips Hue driver does something similar.

7 hours ago, alanchow said:

Yes it works with the RGBW strip as well.  I have it working at my place.

Yeelight is a bit weird and kind of cool. You can actually send it the sequence you want to fade from/to.  We implemented this in the driver as an action.

Could you by any chance send some screenshots of how I would get it working? I just want to see what is needed before I buy the lights and driver.

1 hour ago, Shivam Paw said:

Could you by any chance send some screenshots of how I would get it working? I just want to see what is needed before I buy the lights and driver.

We actually have an entire installation guide on our website which goes through this.

40 minutes ago, alanchow said:

We actually have an entire installation guide on our website which goes through this.

Yeah I saw that and the example was 1000, 2, 2700, 100, 500, 1,255, 10, 5000, 7, 0,0, 500, 2, 5000, 1.

I can't tell what it exactly does though.

1000 milliseconds, color temperature with a value of 2700 on a brightness of 100
500 milliseconds, color 255 brightness of 10
5000 milliseconds sleep
500 milliseconds color temp 5000 brightness of 1

What does all of that even mean? Sorry if the questions are nooby.

its seperated into blocks of 4

1000, 2, 2700, 100, 500, 1,255, 10, 5000, 7, 0,0, 500, 2, 5000, 1.

[duration,mode,value,brightness]

Duration: Gradual change time or sleep time, in milliseconds, minimum value 50.

Mode: 1 – color, 2 – color temperature, 7 – sleep.

Value: RGB value when mode is 1, CT value when mode is 2, Ignored when mode is 7.

Brightness: Brightness value, -1 or 1 ~ 100. Ignored when mode is 7. When this value is -1, brightness in this tuple is ignored (only color or CT change takes effect).

12 hours ago, alanchow said:

its seperated into blocks of 4

1000, 2, 2700, 100, 500, 1,255, 10, 5000, 7, 0,0, 500, 2, 5000, 1.

[duration,mode,value,brightness]

Duration: Gradual change time or sleep time, in milliseconds, minimum value 50.

Mode: 1 – color, 2 – color temperature, 7 – sleep.

Value: RGB value when mode is 1, CT value when mode is 2, Ignored when mode is 7.

Brightness: Brightness value, -1 or 1 ~ 100. Ignored when mode is 7. When this value is -1, brightness in this tuple is ignored (only color or CT change takes effect).

Yeah, I saw that in the installation guide but I don't get what it's actually doing or what I would need to use for my requirements.

Any ideas?

41 minutes ago, Shivam Paw said:

Yeah, I saw that in the installation guide but I don't get what it's actually doing or what I would need to use for my requirements.

Any ideas?

It is a macro that defines the color values duration brightness and sequence.  Your programmer will know what to do if you tell them how you want it.

I used it to do some lightning effects and red glows sequenced  recently.

There seems to be a problem where you can't enter an expression. For example, if I enter 

1000, 2, 2700, 100, 500, 1,255, 10, 5000, 7, 0,0, 500, 2, 5000, 1

in the expression box and press enter to save it and drag the action, the action just stays at start color flow with expression 0 and that windows beep noise plays.

6 hours ago, Shivam Paw said:

There seems to be a problem where you can't enter an expression. For example, if I enter 

1000, 2, 2700, 100, 500, 1,255, 10, 5000, 7, 0,0, 500, 2, 5000, 1

in the expression box and press enter to save it and drag the action, the action just stays at start color flow with expression 0 and that windows beep noise plays.

Just tested this on 3 different Yeelights in my home and it definately works.  you are correct that the expression says 0 in composer which we will fix.  Note the expression is still saved and will execute.  Have you tried it?

Ok yeah that is working - it's just displaying as 0.

I'm trying this expression to cycle through colours but it isn't working. It is just stuck on red:

1000, 1, 16711680, 100,
1000, 1, 16776960, 100,
1000, 1, 65280, 100,
1000, 1, 65535, 100,
1000, 1, 255, 100,
1000, 1, 16711935, 100

I'm trying to achieve the effect you get when holding the button on the LEDs strip and it just cycles through the colours.

Edit: used this which seems to work well: 2000, 1, 16711680, 100, 2000, 1, 16776960, 100, 2000, 1, 65280, 100, 2000, 1, 65535, 100, 2000, 1, 255, 100, 2000, 1, 16711935, 100

Curious if these go on any Black Friday deal. Keeping an eye out but I’ll probably pick some up before Christmas either way. My girlfriend is really skeptical of the brand, but all the reviews look good...and no hub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are Yeelight LED strips as pictured below.  Does anyone know what the connector is like?  I would be interested in using the controller with a generic light strip that you can buy for about $10/5m strip.  But I can't find any good photos to see if this just uses a standard 4 pin connector like the generic strips.

smart-light.jpg?resize=525,334

Anyone here have the strips and think they have a pinkish hue when in "white" mode? I just got my pair and they are very pinkish. Alan doesnt have the problem with his.. I am curious too if someone can confirm if these are RGBW or just RGB? I am wondering if they do have separate W LEDs and mine are just not working.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.