C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Yeelight Wifi RGBW LED Driver for Control4

alanchow

Can I ask with the lightbulbs what are you guys using it for? Bedside table? Any other uses? As my home is all downlights.
I am using one behind a piece of furniture to light it up. I plan to use another under my bed to use as a night light for nighttime bathroom trips

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, msgreenf said:

I am using one behind a piece of furniture to light it up. I plan to use another under my bed to use as a night light for nighttime bathroom trips

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Have you got a pic for the one behind the furniture?

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, scuzzie2k said:

OK got it sorted, can someone advise when you have it run an expression is there anyway you can get it to start multiple devices at once as they are all out of sync otherwise?

Yeelights are individual IP devices.  We connect to each one and then we send each one a command.  There is no method for us to broadcast a command out to multiple Yeelights as thats just not the way the device is designed.

You may be able to program every single one to trigger on the same event and it may sync up but i can't guarantee it as it will be based on your controller speed and network latency.

15 minutes ago, Pounce said:

I think you can simulate async calls by setting the timeout on the socket to a low number. I am not certain. That could potentially be used to reduce delay.

This is not relevant since you install seperate instances of the driver per light.

Just now, alanchow said:

This is not relevant since you install seperate instances of the driver per light.

Maybe. But if you have 20 drivers reducing their execution time to perform an action can help performance overall. C4 isn't running all 20 in parallel with 20 threads. I'm guessing every ms counts.

46 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Maybe. But if you have 20 drivers reducing their execution time to perform an action can help performance overall. C4 isn't running all 20 in parallel with 20 threads. I'm guessing every ms counts.

Considering that the Yeelight driver maintains a persistent connection to the light setting a timeout will not effect performance at all (in fact setting timeouts only effect when director gives up upon non connectivity.  If you're already connected it makes no difference - if you want to speed up drivers then its all based on optimisation of messaging and queues which we are pretty good at).

Cool. With other systems if you use an async http call and do not wait for the response you can shave off some time returning. No idea how you have it working. So C4 can persist http connections to some large number? Is there a hard limit on total concurrent "sessions" you can reasonably expect to manage across all drivers?

5 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Cool. With other systems if you use an async http call and do not wait for the response you can shave off some time returning. No idea how you have it working. So C4 can persist http connections to some large number? Is there a hard limit on total concurrent "sessions" you can reasonably expect to manage across all drivers?

Yeelight doesn't use HTTP for communications.  It is a direct socket connection.

In regards to general driverworks url functions yes you can set a timeout which is used for failures.  Having said that it is asynchronous so it doesn't really effect speed (unless you have some sort of queuing system that forces it to be synchronous).

Anyway this is really going off topic.  If you want to learn more about driverworks you should really post in the official control4 dealer forum under the driverworks section.

• 9 months later...

Hi, I tried to get the RGB values from the driver but haven't succeeded yet. My ultimate intention is per example to let the user use the yeelight application to set a RGB value that he likes and then per example press a custom button to save these 3 values (R,G,B) to variables to recall later. See my test program. I only get 0 as value whatever the color the light is on. Running OS3 on EA-1.

Capture d'écran 2019-06-01 15.52.18.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2019 at 7:01 PM, mrichardin said:

Hi, I tried to get the RGB values from the driver but haven't succeeded yet. My ultimate intention is per example to let the user use the yeelight application to set a RGB value that he likes and then per example press a custom button to save these 3 values (R,G,B) to variables to recall later. See my test program. I only get 0 as value whatever the color the light is on. Running OS3 on EA-1.

Capture d'écran 2019-06-01 15.52.18.png

Driver wasn't really designed to be used that way so don't know if its possible.  Since you are interacting with multiple proxies you'll be sending multiple RGB commands which won't really produce what you're setting out to achieve.

• 9 months later...

I have a question regarding this driver, do I need Internet connection for it to work? Can I move it into VLAN with no Internet  access and still can control it locally only?

6 hours ago, Amr said:

I have a question regarding this driver, do I need Internet connection for it to work? Can I move it into VLAN with no Internet  access and still can control it locally only?

It is local control although you have to make sure Control4 can route to it.

Does anyone know if you can prewire a 5 conductor wire and splice these strips in.

Also if all wires “home run” back to one location can you make multiple strips work from one controller?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think there will be an issue with splicing the strips at all, am going to do that for a 20 meter run, not Xiaomi thought as maximum length is 10 meter, or am thinking of running 2 x 10m!

Multiple strips can not work with one controller.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.