C4 Forums | Control4

Thermostat Wiring Diagram for Trane

jedwilli

My trane units are working correct for AC and Heat Pump heat. The problem is I can not get them to turn on the Auxillary heat for when the outside temperature drops below 30 - the units will not keep up.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or directions they can share for a Trane 3-Stage Heat, 2-Stage Cool Heat Pump system?

• 3 years later...

Hello,

Did you ever find anything on this.

I am working to install a Thermostat and making sure I have the wires correct. System Trane Heat Pump 2 Stage with Emergency Heat.

Here is what I think the connections go: (Hopefully this answers your question on why your Aux heat isn't working)

G - Fan

O - Changeover valve

Y1 - 1st Stage Comp

Y2 - 2nd Stage Comp

W1 - Not used

W2 - Emergency Heat

TS/C - Common Wire

RH/RC (Jumpered) - Transformer

Follow up to the above. I assume that this is for my system and anyone who has a heat pump 2 heat / 2 cool system with Emergency Heat.

My current thermostat has O/B for change over however I noticed that there is a O and a separate B for the C4 Thermostat. Do I always use the B or is that optional like I see in manual. My system is a Trane heat pump.

Any help would be great. I am still searching to find out more.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My trane units are working correct for AC and Heat Pump heat. The problem is I can not get them to turn on the Auxillary heat for when the outside temperature drops below 30 - the units will not keep up.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or directions they can share for a Trane 3-Stage Heat, 2-Stage Cool Heat Pump system?

I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same problem. I just had the HVAC repair man out and he said he could not get the thermostat to activate the emergency heat. He could fire it up manually and I showed him the PDF with wiring diagrams and he was sure we had it wired correctly, but it won't activate the emergency heat. I actually have 2 tstats with 2 heat pump units and they are both doing the exact same thing.

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated. I'm about to ditch the C4 tstats and just go with the Honeywell Smart thermostat since at least the HVAC guy can service those.

C4 thermostats get tricky with the different heat modes within heat pump systems.  the problem lies withing the advanced settings of the thermostat in composer.  you need to trick it into activating the 3rd stage and emergency heat modes quicker.  let me know if you still are having issue with this.  i can probably help.

Its hard to speak generally about that because its so specific to each installation.  I'll give it a shot though.  What you're going to need to do is figure out which relays (wires) you need active to properly heat or cool your system.  From there you can use the Thermostat wiring diagrams to wire everything up properly.  The advanced configuration you'll need to do is change the temperature difference for which each stage kicks off.  this is most typically a problem with heat pump systems where you'll actually need control4 to get to its third heat stage in order to activate the relays needed to get the system going.  you can accomplish this by dropping the delta on the 2nd stage to 0 so that it automatically kicks on with the first stage.  Then set your third stage a degree or 2 above that and you'll then be able to have the system run the way you need it to.  The other thing you'll probably want to check is stage cutoff time.  heat pump systems typically need that second (or third) stage to stay engaged so you need to enter 255 in the stage cutoff delay to deactivate it.

I'm not sure if this makes any sense to read, I'd probably have to look specifically at your situation to properly explain it.  If it helped though...great :)

Archived