C4 Forums | Control4

Samsung Integrates Control4 SDDP Technology in its 2017 4K Ultra-HDTV Lineup and New Ultra HD Blu-Ray Player

alanchow

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on what region you're in.

IP Control should be available in the US and Canada, currently, with other regions following at some point (with no definitive timeline).

SDDP itself was supposed to drop around CEDIA timeframe, but has been held up a bit, apparently.

RyanE

On 9/30/2017 at 12:04 AM, RyanE said:

It depends on what region you're in.

IP Control should be available in the US and Canada, currently, with other regions following at some point (with no definitive timeline).

SDDP itself was supposed to drop around CEDIA timeframe, but has been held up a bit, apparently.

RyanE

I meant SDDP, i have ip control over my q7 right now and it works great.

Anyone tried this new Blu-ray player (UBD-m9700) out? Would probably grab this over the Oppo if the picture quality is even comparable. Having solid streaming apps and native C4 support sounds pretty good. 

In theory, if your wifi infrastructure is setup correctly, Wake on Wifi should work, since it's the same broadcast packet as Wake on LAN, but it has not been tested by Control4, and is not supported.

From what I've heard, your wireless router / access point must be configured to broadcast the broadcast packets, and the TV must be attached via WPS2, with PSK.

Your mileage may vary.  Due to the difficulty of getting it setup properly, and the many possible points of failure, it is not supported.

RyanE

22 hours ago, RyanE said:

In theory, if your wifi infrastructure is setup correctly, Wake on Wifi should work, since it's the same broadcast packet as Wake on LAN, but it has not been tested by Control4, and is not supported.

From what I've heard, your wireless router / access point must be configured to broadcast the broadcast packets, and the TV must be attached via WPS2, with PSK.

Your mileage may vary.  Due to the difficulty of getting it setup properly, and the many possible points of failure, it is not supported.

RyanE

Thanks Ryan ,  i asked because i was between an LG or a Samsung TV  but  the annex LG driver allows wifi if the os is webOS 3.5  so i just want to double check if the Samsung was capable too 

• 2 weeks later...

One big deal is that it makes it nearly impossible to get the wrong model TV driver for the TV.  The driver comes up in the 'Discovered' tab, and the installer just needs to double-click on the SDDP item, and Control4 automatically downloads the exact driver for that TV, and identifies it via SDDP.

It's one less thing for the installer to worry about, and it makes it that much easier.

Without SDDP, installers either have to set the TV to a Static IP, and/or make a static DHCP reservation on the router (either of which have their downsides), or risk losing control of the TV if it gets a new IP address (which can happen on firmware updates, factory reset by homeowner, etc.).  With SDDP, the TV continues to work flawlessly even if the address changes.

Also, it's news because it's validation from another large manufacturer of Control4's vision.  Getting companies to put SDDP in their entire product line (Samsung did it for nearly all of their 2017 TVs and their IP-controllable Blu-Ray player) is a big deal.

RyanE

I'll add that when it comes to IP, using the wrong driver may mean it doesn't work or perhaps does work. Much worse is that it may 'sort of work' - which can cause potentially hours of trouble shooting for an installer and/or days of frustration for the user (had a take-over a few weeks ago with this exact issue - in that scenario I was brought in to help deal with actual months of frustration on both sides, and all due to one digit difference in model number....)

Please excuse my ignorance..I'm on this forum to better understand how my new C4 system works, the flexibility is has, etc. I hate owning something and not knowing how it works.

So, I have a few 2017 Samsung TVs, a few 2017 LG TVs, and a new Sony TV as of today. With SDDP support between Samsung's TVs and C4, I've already read where it makes installation easier, but does this SDDP Technology support allow some of the applications in the TV be used through the Control4 system? I notice how I have different application on my Control4 system. Do these application come with the Control4 system, are they on components connected to the Control4 system, or both? I checked out the Control4 App Store, which doesn't really have anything and should probably be retired.

Unfortunately, it still depends on the TV driver.

SDDP's benefits are mainly for the installation (i.e. correct IP address, correct driver, etc.).

Whether the driver supports built-in apps natively in Control4 (with mini-apps), or whether the installer has to create their own icons to trigger the built-in apps depends on how the driver was created for the Control4 system, regardless of whether that TV supports SDDP or not.

The Control4 App store basically *has* been retired, as it only worked for the Flash-based Navigators, which are now a few generations old, and haven't been sold for years.

When we talk about 'mini-apps', we're not talking about 'apps' like you'd run on your phone, we talk about a *source* within the system, that doesn't do much, except for being a placeholder for apps on your TV.

For example, the Samsung 2017 TV drivers have mini-apps for the most popular TV apps, that show up on the screen, and when you select the 'Netflix' mini-app, Control4 turns on the TV, and selects the Netflix app on the TV.

I don't know the status of built-in app support on the Sony and LG TVs.

RyanE

On 10/23/2017 at 2:32 AM, RyanE said:

One big deal is that it makes it nearly impossible to get the wrong model TV driver for the TV.  The driver comes up in the 'Discovered' tab, and the installer just needs to double-click on the SDDP item, and Control4 automatically downloads the exact driver for that TV, and identifies it via SDDP.

It's one less thing for the installer to worry about, and it makes it that much easier.

Without SDDP, installers either have to set the TV to a Static IP, and/or make a static DHCP reservation on the router (either of which have their downsides), or risk losing control of the TV if it gets a new IP address (which can happen on firmware updates, factory reset by homeowner, etc.).  With SDDP, the TV continues to work flawlessly even if the address changes.

Also, it's news because it's validation from another large manufacturer of Control4's vision.  Getting companies to put SDDP in their entire product line (Samsung did it for nearly all of their 2017 TVs and their IP-controllable Blu-Ray player) is a big deal.

RyanE

If you created drivers for specific generations (because that’s what’s really important) instead of creating drivers for each end every screen size there wouldn’t really be much confusion. :P (And less maintenance work for you too.)

Archived