C4 Forums | Control4

Best geofence drivers?

3D - Benn

Question

So I've got a requirement of opening a gate (which is already controlled by C4) when the clients approach the house using geofencing.

It's not something I've done before and there's no certified C4 drivers for doing so, so I was wondering what peoples experience with it was and which drivers are recommended. 

I had a discussion with my colleague who was worried about the gate / distance being a problem. But I intend to program a variable to that will reset each time the client leaves the geofence all together and returns later. (Rather than relying on a small geofence around the gate) And so it would only open automatically on entrance and not exit. 

6 answers to this question

If this is for gate control only, look into long range rfid reader. Can get them up to 150-200ft if you want and will pick up a card mounted on front license plate. This has worked great for me in the past. It will also pick up keychain fobs as well from a great distance as well.

There are Bluetooth versions as well if you want it to work with a specific phone or any device using Bluetooth. It uses the mac of device as authentication. Happy to provide more details if needed.

Happy Automating!!

I played with the native IFTTT and smartthings geofences when alans IFTTT driver came out. The smartthings one was more reliable but i havent played with them since then. The issue i had back then was when my phone jumped from between wifi and cell data or back out of sleep for a decent amount of time it resent the command to c4 that i entered the fence every once and a while. Also neither seemed to send the pushover notification the second i entered everytime so it may not meet their perfect expectations. I use the vera geofence now and havent had an issue but none of my programing is time sensitive to the point where i need a door to open. It is more of a reference for washer/dryer turned off so send a notification to the person who is home

6 minutes ago, VINCELdUB said:

If this is for gate control only, look into long range rfid reader. Can get them up to 150-200ft if you want and will pick up a card mounted on front license plate. This has worked great for me in the past. It will also pick up keychain fobs as well from a great distance as well.

There are Bluetooth versions as well if you want it to work with a specific phone or any device using Bluetooth. It uses the mac of device as authentication. Happy to provide more details if needed.

Happy Automating!!

I would certainly appreciate more detail and manufacturer info. Thx!

I actually OEM the product and would sell you a complete product with options required to complete a "Happy Customer, Happy Dealer" installation.

A few things to note right away;
Do you have somewhere for the antenna that is unobstructed from the street?
Do they approach from more than one direction?
The overall time it takes for the gate to fully open?
Type of traffic to pass through the gate with this method.

PM me with details or use any of the links @
http://theexpectedresult.ca/contact to get a hold of me.

Happy Automating!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.