jfh

Garage door sensor setup?

Question

I should know this but I don't.

What equipment do I need to monitor the status of a garage door?  I don't need to control the door, just know the status of a door.

I would either run wiring to a secondary controller in the garage or through the attic to the main controller.

20 answers to this question

Wellllll

Kind of depends on the door and the opener. More info is really needed. 

1. What is your current opener? Make/Model

2. How old is the controller and the button?

3. Do you want a sensor to tell you if the door is closed, all the way open or someplace in between.

4. How many doors do you have?

5. Why "should you know this" but you dont? Are you a dealer or just a fan?

LiftMaster don't remember the model.  Controlled through MyQ gateway and HouseLogix driver

Dont need to control the door, just monitor physical door open and close

Just need closed or not closed status.  

two doors

Not a dealer, just a knowledgeable customer 

Well in that case.....plop a Card Access Contact senor between the two doors and run two short jumpers to two door contact sensors. All done.

7 hours ago, jfh said:

I should know this but I don't.

What equipment do I need to monitor the status of a garage door? I don't need to control the door, just know the status of a door.

I would either run wiring to a secondary controller in the garage or through the attic to the main controller.

if you are hard wiring it to the controllers sensor port. just land 1 wire to the 12v the other to the sensor pin on the phoenix block for each door

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Ademco-Overhead-Door-Contacts/dp/B0006M1I1W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504957124&sr=8-2&keywords=honeywell+garage+door+sensor

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

Didnt C4 just release a new sensor at CEDIA?

Correct, they released the Z2IO and Z2C, the first is a multifunction device, the second essentially a replacement for the Card Access Sensor.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Correct, they released the Z2IO and Z2C, the first is a multifunction device, the second essentially a replacement for the Card Access Sensor.

so one is a contact relay sensor installed on the door itself and other is a zigbee transmitter of sorts?

On 9/9/2017 at 3:32 PM, ejn1 said:

so one is a contact relay sensor installed on the door itself and other is a zigbee transmitter of sorts?

No, they are both Zigbee devices, one is just contacts, the other is contacts, relays and IR.

26 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

No, they are both Zigbee devices, one is just contacts, the other is contacts, relays and IR.

That sounds like a great add to the line up.  

This might help.  Check the search...there are some good topics on wiring garage doors but since your doing wireless maybe a new sensor would be best...

image.png.312f237d6ba407b5b7480e1709cb29ae.png

Also you may be able to run the wires to the port on the opener instead of the button depending on the model, but if you have cat5 ran from the opener to the wall button you have enough conductors to do either which is nice to have a contingency. But it sounds like you have that part covered with the houselogix driver

5 hours ago, abovedeck said:

wait, you have a myQ system and are using the houselogix driver?  If you buy a Vera and add it to your system, you can actually control and see the status from C4.  @dcovach knows this setup.

What is a Vera and what does that get me?   I want to add sensors so I know the status directly in C4 without having to rely on the polling from MyQ.

5 hours ago, abovedeck said:

wait, you have a myQ system and are using the houselogix driver?  If you buy a Vera and add it to your system, you can actually control and see the status from C4.  @dcovach knows this setup.

If you have MyQ and the houselogix driver you can control and see the status from C4 without adding the Vera. 

13 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

If you have MyQ and the houselogix driver you can control and see the status from C4 without adding the Vera. 

Right.  I do that today.  Just didn't understand what a Vera was going to do for me.  

1 hour ago, mstafford388 said:

After the 2.10 update, the houselogix myq driver was giving me open and close notifications over and over and over.  The fix is in the works from what I hear.   I had to disable the notifications (love this new programming feature). Otherwise, it was working perfectly before the update.

1 hour ago, jfh said:

Right.  I do that today.  Just didn't understand what a Vera was going to do for me.  

I'm sure you already know, but the vera is another handy controller for bringing in a few more zwave devices into C4.  The MYQ plugin for the vera is free.  It has broken in the past but still works at this point.  It's not recommended for open/close notifications within C4 but it gives you control of your garage doors from all your navs.  The status is pretty accurate but I don't use this method so I can't confirm.

Ohhhhhhhh, I didn't understand.  Now I do.  You want to avoid polling and go direct to C4.  Gotcha.

I was gonna say another way is if you have an alarm panel connected to C4, you can always add a tilt sensor and bind it to c4.  But card access like everyone said is probably your best.

On 9/10/2017 at 7:30 PM, Cyknight said:

Does anyone have the install docs on these yet? Maybe not since they just announced them?

*Nevermind, I found it*

Edited by ecschnei