C4 Forums | Control4

Garage door sensor setup?

jfh

Question

I should know this but I don't.

What equipment do I need to monitor the status of a garage door?  I don't need to control the door, just know the status of a door.

I would either run wiring to a secondary controller in the garage or through the attic to the main controller.

23 minutes ago, elodesigns said:

@dcovach What variables did you end up incorporating to prevent the constant notifications? I'm having the same issue with 2.10

Boolean true/false.   Eg:

When garage door opens

(variable name)=true

When garage door closes

(Variable name)=false

When (variable name) changes

If (variable name)=true

(Add notification programming or announcement here)

If (variable name)=false

(Add programming here)

1 hour ago, jfh said:

Right.  I do that today.  Just didn't understand what a Vera was going to do for me.  

I'm sure you already know, but the vera is another handy controller for bringing in a few more zwave devices into C4.  The MYQ plugin for the vera is free.  It has broken in the past but still works at this point.  It's not recommended for open/close notifications within C4 but it gives you control of your garage doors from all your navs.  The status is pretty accurate but I don't use this method so I can't confirm.

Ohhhhhhhh, I didn't understand.  Now I do.  You want to avoid polling and go direct to C4.  Gotcha.

I was gonna say another way is if you have an alarm panel connected to C4, you can always add a tilt sensor and bind it to c4.  But card access like everyone said is probably your best.

On 9/10/2017 at 7:30 PM, Cyknight said:

No, they are both Zigbee devices, one is just contacts, the other is contacts, relays and IR.

Does anyone have the install docs on these yet? Maybe not since they just announced them?

*Nevermind, I found it*

On 9/13/2017 at 10:35 AM, dcovach said:

After the 2.10 update, the houselogix myq driver was giving me open and close notifications over and over and over.  The fix is in the works from what I hear.   I had to disable the notifications (love this new programming feature). Otherwise, it was working perfectly before the update.

send me a PM with your email and i ll send you the fix 

1 hour ago, MonsterIT said:

send me a PM with your email and i ll send you the fix 

I used variables for open and close status and programmed notifications off that. it fixed the problem but I haven't checked for a driver update yet

13 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

If you have MyQ and the houselogix driver you can control and see the status from C4 without adding the Vera. 

Right.  I do that today.  Just didn't understand what a Vera was going to do for me.  

On 9/8/2017 at 11:49 PM, jfh said:

I should know this but I don't.

What equipment do I need to monitor the status of a garage door?  I don't need to control the door, just know the status of a door.

I would either run wiring to a secondary controller in the garage or through the attic to the main controller.

I have been using the NYCE NCZ3014 wireless zigbee tilt sensor just to monitor door status.

1 minute ago, elodesigns said:

I have been using the NYCE NCZ3014 wireless zigbee tilt sensor just to monitor door status.

That's what I ended up doing.  They work great and it's a much better solution than polling the MyQ system all the time just to catch the occasional open/close.

On 10/25/2017 at 12:15 PM, dcovach said:

Boolean true/false.   Eg:

When garage door opens

(variable name)=true

When garage door closes

(Variable name)=false

When (variable name) changes

If (variable name)=true

(Add notification programming or announcement here)

If (variable name)=false

(Add programming here)

I know these are really easy, but string variables are so much easier because the variable can be "garage status" and you can make the values open and closed instead of true/false for "garage door open". Also comes in handy for situations that may have more than 2 states. Mostly for people who have never used them before. Give them a shot. They are a lot more flexible.

1 hour ago, mstafford388 said:

If you have MyQ and the houselogix driver you can control and see the status from C4 without adding the Vera. 

After the 2.10 update, the houselogix myq driver was giving me open and close notifications over and over and over.  The fix is in the works from what I hear.   I had to disable the notifications (love this new programming feature). Otherwise, it was working perfectly before the update.

5 hours ago, abovedeck said:

wait, you have a myQ system and are using the houselogix driver?  If you buy a Vera and add it to your system, you can actually control and see the status from C4.  @dcovach knows this setup.

5 hours ago, abovedeck said:

wait, you have a myQ system and are using the houselogix driver?  If you buy a Vera and add it to your system, you can actually control and see the status from C4.  @dcovach knows this setup.

What is a Vera and what does that get me?   I want to add sensors so I know the status directly in C4 without having to rely on the polling from MyQ.

Also you may be able to run the wires to the port on the opener instead of the button depending on the model, but if you have cat5 ran from the opener to the wall button you have enough conductors to do either which is nice to have a contingency. But it sounds like you have that part covered with the houselogix driver

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Correct, they released the Z2IO and Z2C, the first is a multifunction device, the second essentially a replacement for the Card Access Sensor.

so one is a contact relay sensor installed on the door itself and other is a zigbee transmitter of sorts?

Archived