bdo21

Networking

7 posts in this topic

I am finally about to embark on building a new house and while I have fully designed the Control4 system with a dealer, I won't be able to install it immediately after when we finish the build but probably 6-12 months when finances have recovered a little...  We will have all the network cabling and other infrastructure done during the build and I am wondering about the networking.

I have a friend who is a network engineer (but not in the AV/home automation space) who can help me with the installation.  Is there a best practices guide to how networking should be setup to optimise a Control4 installation?  For example, use of VLANs and what devices to setup on each, what firewall systems work well, etc.

Also, is there a benefit in going for Pakedge over a networking system such as Ubiquiti's Unifi?  I want a system which I as a technical user but not networks expert can follow myself without always needing to call my dealer.

Thanks

Generally speaking, you do not WANT to setup VLANS or local firewalls - at least not between anything C4 that needs to talk to each ther, not to m,ention that using managed switches is not recommended either. Yes, it's not impossible to use all this, but frankly, either your dealer needs to be able to work with it, or work with you or your friend, to make this work.

I realize this may sound unfriendly, but I'm thinking that if you need to wait for 6-12 months for finances to rebound in order to be able to pay for your C4 system, it seems unlikely that you're going to have a house setup that really needs advanced VLANS to begin with? Regardless, the above still counts - your friend will likely have to work with your dealer to make this work.

As for Ubiquity - there is no 'block' on using it at all - the one advantage that really stands out with pakaedge is that it's now 'part' of C4, so easier to deal with for your dealer and availability of drivers for certain functions.

I am using the Ubiquiti Unifi devices and are very happy with them.  I would highly recommend them, and the software controller makes it easier to keep an eye on your network.  I have several WAPs in my house and the USG router.

16 hours ago, bdo21 said:

I have fully designed the Control4 system with a dealer

If you like this dealer, then I recommend getting him involved in the network. Otherwise, he is going to "blame it on the network" when something doesn't work.

4 minutes ago, Elvis said:

If you like this dealer, then I recommend getting him involved in the network. Otherwise, he is going to "blame it on the network" when something doesn't work.

Haha... I love it