C4 Forums | Control4

Nvidia Shield and Plex

rea

I'm in the process of finalizing all my purchases for my new home theater build-out and wanted to seek some advice from the experts on here. I've got most of my movie and TV show library ripped to network storage in lossless MKV. I currently stream via Plex to a couple of Rokus at other TVs where I don't have full surround sound and using Dolby Atmos/TrueHD is not a concern. It works great and the wife loves it. In my research, I saw that Rokus don't support lossless audio passthrough via Plex. As I really want to be able to play my library via Plex in the theater room with original audio, I found out the Nvidia Shield can handle sending lossless audio via passthrough to my AVR. My concerns are:

1) It appears the Shield integrates into Control4 quite well from the few posts I've seen about it on here. Has anyone had any issues with integration of the Shield?

2) When I get the theater room finished, I would really like to fully integrate the Plex experience and get the Plex full app from @alanchow but I don't see official support listed in his documentation. Anyone using that driver with the Shield and having luck with it? Perhaps Kodi with Plex would be a workaround if not? 

If the Shield doesn't seem viable, it seems I'll have to go the HTPC route to get my audio from Plex that I want but using the Shield just seems to be much easier and cheaper if it will work. 

• 2 months later...

17 hours ago, Jed Peters said:

@rea Sorry I didn't see this.

The shield is the best possible device that you can use for plex, lossless, full 4k @ 60hz, etc. FANTASTIC.

You don't need the full plex driver...and use the IR on the nvidia shield pro. 

Awesome...thanks, Jed!

We are actually in the process of integrating the @videostorm IRUSB dongle into our Plex Full driver.  What this means is that you can use the shield normally using IP based control but whats even cooler is that you can at any time use any Control4 navigator interface to select a movie (even when Plex isn't running on the Shield) and the driver will launch the Plex app on the shield and will start playing the movie (tv show, etc).

1 hour ago, alanchow said:

We are actually in the process of integrating the @videostorm IRUSB dongle into our Plex Full driver.  What this means is that you can use the shield normally using IP based control but whats even cooler is that you can at any time use any Control4 navigator interface to select a movie (even when Plex isn't running on the Shield) and the driver will launch the Plex app on the shield and will start playing the movie (tv show, etc).

This sounds really good @alanchow I'll be sure and keep an eye out for the update to the Plex driver...thanks for the nice early notice on this!

2 minutes ago, rea said:

This sounds really good @alanchow I'll be sure and keep an eye out for the update to the Plex driver...thanks for the nice early notice on this!

yeah we got Kodi updated but had to hold off on Plex for a bit due to contractual commitments to manufacturers & home automation companies.

Archived