C4 Forums | Control4

Why do we all put up with this BS?

wappinghigh

Why is it that we all.. (yep dealers as well) continue to put up with this HDMI/HDCP handshake and incompatibility bullshit...?

Indeed why does the custom installer industry tolerate this nonsense?

You know it's bullshit... Even if you won't say it..

So why do we put up with it?

We have been putting up with it for years.. pretty much since it was first released...

Why is it that we put up with it?

Perhaps we are all just mental?, or just love being whipped?

Is it some sort of sadistic inner desire in human nature?

A need to be tormented by a more powerful being?

What is it?

And when is Control4 going to do something about it? 

1 hour ago, sonic30101 said:

As awesome as it would be. I feel that this is about as fruitless a topic as bitching about c4 not giving composer pro to the end user

Sure. Fair cop.

It is what it is.

A total shambles.

Like Gazza got a date with Gwyneth, or an Aussie and English Republic or "The great Gold Reset of Jim Rickards", or Texas really leaving the Union.....

It aint going to happen. :)

You should invent a new standard, get it approved, sell all the content producers in it and globalize it. You’ll get rich. Maybe you could even call it WAP VAS HD. “Wireless And Perfect Video Audio Streaming in HD”.

Seriously, what do you want Control4 to do about it and how would they benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone, tell all you know to stop copying movies, stop downloading movies and illegally streaming movies. Once everyone stops doing that and starts paying for movies, we can talk to the movie companies and tell them - hey we are all no longer pirating, so let's spread the cost out across people better, lowering everyone's cost and let go of all the security in place.

That'll work right

On 9/17/2017 at 10:01 AM, Cyknight said:

Everyone, tell all you know to stop copying movies, stop downloading movies and illegally streaming movies. Once everyone stops doing that and starts paying for movies, we can talk to the movie companies and tell them - hey we are all no longer pirating, so let's spread the cost out across people better, lowering everyone's cost and let go of all the security in place.

That'll work right

that would be sweet...almost as sweet as being able to show up at the airport 20 minutes before departure time and hop on the plane sans TSA!

18 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

that would be sweet...almost as sweet as being able to show up at the airport 20 minutes before departure time and hop on the plane sans TSA!

Yup, while we're at it let's just sit down and talk to everyone to end all forms of terrorism.

That'll 'just work' for sure! We can get it done by tomorrow.

On 9/17/2017 at 12:01 PM, Cyknight said:

That'll work right

So HDMI and HDCP stopped everyone from pirating movies? That's great news! Glad they fixed that.

2 hours ago, therockhr said:

So HDMI and HDCP stopped everyone from pirating movies? That's great news! Glad they fixed that.

Point being that, in the end, they are in fact just trying to protect what's theirs. Failing or not. The root cause for HDCP and arguably HDMI at all is protection - take away the need for protection and...

On 9/17/2017 at 7:06 AM, blub said:

HDMI and hdcp is a pain in the ass.
It rarely works for months without issues

Is this problem more prevalent in the world of the HDMI Matrix? I don't have one. Is that why (knocking on wood) I have never had an issue with this... ever. 

19 minutes ago, Elvis said:

Is this problem more prevalent in the world of the HDMI Matrix? I don't have one. Is that why (knocking on wood) I have never had an issue with this... ever. 

It's not nearly as prevalent as this thread (or that post) would have you believe - assuming you use good gear. That doesn't mean it's not there mind you.

On 18/09/2017 at 2:01 AM, Cyknight said:

That'll work right

I don't buy that argument one little bit.. There would be way better ways to prevent the illegal play back of digital content than the HDMI/HDCP shambles.. Nope I don't buy that. Hollywood botched it. Fair and square. The proof is torrents are still out there..! Nope HDMI/HDCP is a total shambles and all it does is continue to penalise the good guy. And the good companies. Like Control4. Just my view. 

20 hours ago, Cyknight said:

It's not nearly as prevalent as this thread (or that post) would have you believe - assuming you use good gear. That doesn't mean it's not there mind you.

Don't you believe it. Everyone is thwart by HDMI/HDCP. But even if it "works" every time..there are still delays.. it's old. Its unreliable and it's SLOW>>>> Useless. 2/10. Only gets a 2 because it can carry two signals. A and V. That's it. Everything else about it is a crock of shite IMHO. You all know it as well. Even if ya'll not sayin it. W

2 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

There would be way better ways to prevent the illegal play back of digital content

Yes, and by all means sell your wonderful product to them.

2 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

Don't you believe it. Everyone is thwart by HDMI/HDCP. But even if it "works" every time..there are still delays.. it's old. Its unreliable and it's SLOW>>>> Useless. 2/10. Only gets a 2 because it can carry two signals. A and V. That's it. Everything else about it is a crock of shite IMHO. You all know it as well. Even if ya'll not sayin it. W

Hly crap what did you swallow? Delays? slow? only carries two signals? It's old?

Wow, just read through all the posts here. I don't know what devices you're using but I experience none of these issues. Sure, component was easy to troubleshoot, cheaper, etc but I have no complaints about making the switch to HDMI video distribution in any of the projects I've done it in (including my own house).

I have fast, seamless switching between HDMI sources that I am happy with. Key Digital matrix, Sony & Marantz receivers, mix of 1080p and 4k TV's and receivers.

I guess I must be wrong, though...

Archived