C4 Forums | Control4

OS numbering scheme as in 2.1 ≠ 2.10

zaphod

What is the deal with the C4 OS numbering scheme?

Shouldn't the first version of 2 have been 2.01 rather than 2.1?  Because we now have a situation where 2.10 is out, but it is not the same as 2.1 and it is the version after 2.9.  I am guessing that this will, or already, has caused confusion.  

This versioning scheme is quite common.

It's similar to http://semver.org/ but Control4 does not really strictly follow it. (They add new features to what should be maintenance releases.)

But for example Firefox and Chrome have mostly moved away from this scheme and they just increment an integer number. Other projects use something like YEAR.RELEASE (17.1) or YEAR.MONTH (17.09) etc. etc.

Ok, uncle - I give up.  

My final point on the topic is that the periods matter only when the second period is used, and that rarely happens.  On the first page of these forums there are at least four threads mentioning 2.10 - none of them mention 2.10.0

Ok, uncle - I give up.  
My final point on the topic is that the periods matter only when the second period is used, and that rarely happens.  On the first page of these forums there are at least four threads mentioning 2.10 - none of them mention 2.10.0
The official release is 2.10.0 no matter what anyone calls it here

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, zaphod said:

To put it in computer terms it appears that OS version is of type string rather than numeric.

Correct - also note that the complete, full version number actually contains letters as well as numbers (-rez for example).

I get where you're coming from, but at the same time going to a .10 or beyond version number in software is fairly common, as the first number generally indicates mayor version overhauls vs additions and updates.

4 hours ago, jamesc4 said:

I would have thought it was time for 3.0

Perhaps - not sure I quite agree as there is a LOT of things in flux at the moment, particularly on the voice control level. Even so I'm not sure Composer/the system is due a full overhaul. Regardless, that doesn't really influence the reasoning of using a ".10" designation as such :)

Archived