C4 Forums | Control4

Mac version of Control4?

canadian8484

Another recommendation for VMWare Fusion, it works great for me. However if you are talking about Composer HE, then I suspect over time we are going to see more and more of that functionality provided via When >> Then, which is web based and works fine on the Mac. So while I agree there will probably never be a native Composer for the Mac, I would not be surprised if HE was eventually replaced by a web based alternative. 

Cheers,

John

6 minutes ago, canadian8484 said:

Thanks for the tips! I'll take a look at VMWare Fusion.

In the meantime, how do I access "When >> Then"? I just went to https://customer.control4.com and can't see it there. 

You need to be on 2.10 and have a 4Sight subscription. It can also be accessed directly by going to your controllers IP address and then logging in as the home owner. But in all cases you still need 2.10 and 4Sight. 

2 minutes ago, johnpg said:

You need to be on 2.10 and have a 4Sight subscription. It can also be accessed directly by going to your controllers IP address and then logging in as the home owner. But in all cases you still need 2.10 and 4Sight. 

Got it. I have 4Sight but I'm on 2.9.1. I'll speak to my dealer

On 9/25/2017 at 10:53 AM, canadian8484 said:

Are there any plans for a Mac version of Composer?

I've tried using Parallels and Windows and found it really cumbersome and slow.

There must be huge demand from Control4 users with MacBooks, surely?

I would consider a PC and a remote desktop client before going down the road of Fusion and Parallels. Maybe they are a lot better now than they used to be, but we had nothing but issues when we tried to take that path. I finally decided to keep an old all-in-one PC. I use Jump Desktop to use it from my iMac and I can't tell that I'm not sitting at the computer. I can even use it on the road, and even on crappy hotel wifi it is fast. No wasted disk space on the Macs. Just my $0.02 worth.

42 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I would consider a PC and a remote desktop client before going down the road of Fusion and Parallels. Maybe they are a lot better now than they used to be, but we had nothing but issues when we tried to take that path. I finally decided to keep an old all-in-one PC. I use Jump Desktop to use it from my iMac and I can't tell that I'm not sitting at the computer. I can even use it on the road, and even on crappy hotel wifi it is fast. No wasted disk space on the Macs. Just my $0.02 worth.

That's an awesome solution. I'm going to try When >> Then first, and if that doesn't work then I'll try your idea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used vmware fusion on a macbook for a long time and it was always slow.  I'm sure it was a hardware issue as my macbook was old.  

I finally broke down and bought a surface laptop for all my home automation work stuff.  It works better for consoling into my switches too.  Overall it is just more capable in my opinion.  

1 hour ago, abovedeck said:

+1 Been using parallels for about a year now and have no issues with speed.

As for 2.10, that's another story! :lol:

Are you finding OS2.10 is slow? It worked great for me at first but I have noticed some latency in the last week and have not added any new drivers since 2.10 so am a bit stumped!

10 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Are you finding OS2.10 is slow? It worked great for me at first but I have noticed some latency in the last week and have not added any new drivers since 2.10 so am a bit stumped!

Not slow, just full of bugs :(

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody know what might cause this behavior?

I have a macbook pro running Parallels and Windows XP/Windows 7. I can install Composer HE, start it up, and it'll see my EA5 controller. But when I tell it to connect to the EA5 controller, it displays an error saying it cannot connect. It clearly sees the controller, but something prevents HE from connecting. If I use my kid's Windows laptop, HE will see the controller and connect to it.

I've tried disabling the Windows firewall and making Composer HE an exception to the firewall in my Parallels installation, but neither works.

Archived