C4 Forums | Control4

New Home - Lots of Wireless Devices

M-Kat

Question

I'm building a new 2 story home (6,000 s.f.), and I'm looking at doing a hybrid system with 100% of my devices (about 85 of them) being wireless keypad dimmers.  I am planning to run about 25 lighting loads to a 5-slot panel (rather than having a bunch of switches in closets), but there will be no low voltage wiring to wired keypads switches (just don't need them - at least I think I don't).  The goal of the implementation is to keep most switch locations to only 2 keypads (rather than banks of 4 - 6 switches) and to have the automation/scenes capabilities as well.

Is this a good way to go about an implementation of Control4 lighting in a new home?  Is there any risk of the number of wireless devices stepping on each other in communications and causing glitches or slow responses between the switch and the lights going on/off?

You may ask why not do panelized?  I can't see how the added cost is justified, and I like the idea of having a more conventional wiring job on the house.

Interested in comments/feedback.

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

6 to maybe 10 in 1 location is probably pushing it because you are convoluting the number of hops in the mesh network. 25 is definitely not recommended with zigbee. I would try bulking them out in concealed spots in clusters of 5 if at all possible. Lets see what the others will say as far as real world maximums

My switch switch locations throughout the 6000 s.f. house have anywhere from 1 - 3 wireless keypad dimmers together.  I don't need near as many switches as I have lighting loads.  Therefore the additional 25 - 30 lighting loads will go to a 5 slot panel with 3 or 4 modules in it.  There won't be any switches at the panel.  It will simply be lighting loads wired to the 5 slot panel.

Does that make sense?

Just to clarify, with 85 separate wireless zigbee switches throughout the house (in banks of 1 - 3 of them), I shouldn't experience any mesh confusion or delayed response times from the switch action to the lights going on/off?

Archived