C4 Forums | Control4

WiFi Solutions

Mikrotik router RB3000= $189

Ruckus R510's (3)= $2100

$400 configuration

Total= $2689 for the fastest, smoothest and most configurable network available, imo  

any switch that you want/ however if it's managed, make sure someone who knows what they are doing sets it up. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like I was saying, we all have our preferred gear we like to use, I can just say I have done a ton of full araknis setups, and none of my customers complain about thier networks, whatever you decide, just build a solid stable network otherwise your system can be a nightmare.

Also an Araknis dealer, maybe I’ve just had bad luck but have had to pull 3 or 4 installs for poor performance. It’s been a few years, maybe I need to try them again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, cdepaola said:

Also an Araknis dealer, maybe I’ve just had bad luck but have had to pull 3 or 4 installs for poor performance. It’s been a few years, maybe I need to try them again

They are absolutely easy set up, work very well, l, the remote access is simple, and I keep up on all my customers sites, I know of issues before they do. 

Araknis in my opinion is the best option excellent software to really adjust to each site.

On 10/7/2017 at 12:37 PM, Shivam Paw said:

We currently have 4 airport expresses and 1 airport time capsule for our house however I’m still getting pretty bad WiFi. Not range though. Sometimes it just drops for a few minutes at a time and it’s becoming quite annoying as it is becoming more and more frequent. 

Would this be needing an upgrade to work? It’s a new C4 system and haven’t had it for more than a month. Sometimes our lights have a go slow as well. 

If we need an upgrade what would be looking at going for and what is the approximate price?

Thanks

We have two houses w C4. One house I set up Wi-Fi with Ubiquiti AP Pro into ( Luxul router installed by C4 dealer). I’m pretty tech savvy. Ubiquiti now works very well. That said the very occasionally release buggy firmware. On the other house our dealer did the whole thing with ruckus APs. Frankly the Ruckus stuff is slightly better (better ping times). ubiquiti was prob $1200. Ruckus setup was prob $4k. If I had to do it again I’d prob do professional (non ubiquiti). The professional stuff is expensive but worth it. And no I’m not a dealer or installer. The dealers are correct re rock solid Wi-Fi. All APs should be wired (cat 5e or 6) and forget extenders and repeaters — I spent many man hours on those and they are slow and unreliable and make you crazy. My guess is you can’t go wrong with ruckus or Luxul or pakedge. These days I’d choose pakedge as I’m trying to use all C4 native stuff. 

We have two houses w C4. One house I set up Wi-Fi with Ubiquiti AP Pro into ( Luxul router installed by C4 dealer). I’m pretty tech savvy. Ubiquiti now works very well. That said the very occasionally release buggy firmware. On the other house our dealer did the whole thing with ruckus APs. Frankly the Ruckus stuff is slightly better (better ping times). ubiquiti was prob $1200. Ruckus setup was prob $4k. If I had to do it again I’d prob do professional (non ubiquiti). The professional stuff is expensive but worth it. And no I’m not a dealer or installer. The dealers are correct re rock solid Wi-Fi. All APs should be wired (cat 5e or 6) and forget extenders and repeaters — I spent many man hours on those and they are slow and unreliable and make you crazy. My guess is you can’t go wrong with ruckus or Luxul or pakedge. These days I’d choose pakedge as I’m trying to use all C4 native stuff. 

Yeah everyone releases occasionally buggy firmware/software. Apple does it all the time. Ubiquiti is professional gear, not even close to consumer level.

OP: as you can see lots of opinions and all of them are good options. Frankly if your savvy and going to do it yourself as a cost savings that’s one thing. If your dealer is going to do it give him a budget and then have him use the most appropriate gear he uses.

Ok thanks everyone!

Going to look at 3 Ubiquiti Pro ACs. One downstairs and two on the second floor either side of the house. 

We will leave the time capsule for backups and just turns it’s WiFi off. 

Do we need to change our router or can we just leave it as the BT smart hub and turns it WiFi off as well?

Will also get that UniFi cloud key. Can someone just give me details on why it’s a good choice?

I’ll run all this by my dealer and see what he says and whether it’s something he can help sort or if he has any other recommendations. 

Thanks again everyone!

Leave the bt hub and turn the WiFi off, though it should have been off in the first place.

Cloud key runs the monitoring and zero hand off for the 3 access points.

Check with your dealer about the iPhone assignments the network runs on, DHCP reservations etc. You can easily break stuff in a move like this. For example my air, roku etc are all DHCP reserved so the controller knows where to find them. Even the Controllwr is reserved so the dealer always knows it's on. 99

Also apple (default) uses the 168 ip starting block others use 192. So switching can cause problems.

On 08/10/2017 at 3:30 PM, Shivam Paw said:

We currently have a netgear 24 port switch.

1 time capsule
4 expresses

2-5K seems really expensive compared to how much we paid so far. What would a cheap but still good solution be?

And that's exactly why it's not working.........  There's no such thing as "Good & Cheap" when it comes to networks.

Any reason besides cost and the licensing model that people don’t like the Cisco Meraki stuff? I’ve used it commercially and love it. I’m a network engineer by trade, so I’d love something a little more “enterprise grade.” I can get a pretty good discount on the hardware and licenses through the Cisco sales team I use at work.

Last time I checked the Uniquiti Cloud Key was not able to run the most up to date UniFi firmware and there were no plans to update it.  I only fund this out after updating my entire network with Unifi running on a PC and then trying to migrate it to a Cloud Key.  I opted to run the UniFi controller on my NAS instead, it works better and is more configurable/controllable that way.   Less APs are better than more.  Too many will cause interference.  Try two first and then add as needed. 

1 minute ago, Dave w said:

Last time I checked the Uniquiti Cloud Key was not able to run the most up to date UniFi firmware and there were no plans to update it.  I only fund this out after updating my entire network with Unifi running on a PC and then trying to migrate it to a Cloud Key.  I opted to run the UniFi controller on my NAS instead, it works better and is more configurable/controllable that way.   Less APs are better than more.  Too many will cause interference.  Try two first and then add as needed. 

What if we didn’t have an always on device or something?

Can anyone else confirm this? It’s a dealbreaker I think?

17 minutes ago, Dave w said:

Not true.... I can tell you I'm on a beta version of CloudKey that is several version numbers past the current release version.  Ubiquiti is actually on a tear with updates to all the Unifi gear, they are coming blazingly fast. 

26 minutes ago, Shivam Paw said:

What if we didn’t have an always on device or something?

Can anyone else confirm this? It’s a dealbreaker I think?

They indeed are updating the cloudkey, regularly.  I'm currently in the process of another update to the cloudkey and controller as I type this. 

I also run UniFi APs and switch’s along with a cloud key and I can assure you it’s rock solid ! I also came from a apple based network.. and it was night & day when I switched over to ubiquiti/ UniFi my apple AirPort Extremes are still in my network but are only there for time capsule backups ..not to mention my C4 system has had a boost of energy lol everything runs smooth you also need to take into consideration what is your up & down speeds that your getting into your house and how many wifi devices are running witch will bottle neck your whole network  witch will impact your HA experience 

+1 for Unifi solution with Cloud Key. 

The only thing cheap in it is the price! And they are taking the market by storm. Professional grade AP and networking gear, easy to install and configure but powerful at consumer prices. Schools, companies and obviously consumers are replacing their legacy expensive networking gear. 

Cloud key works fine. Basically acts as an always on controller. Updates AP seamlessly and offers monitoring/maintenance from anywhere. 

You will love it and save a lot of money!

Any reason besides cost and the licensing model that people don’t like the Cisco Meraki stuff? I’ve used it commercially and love it. I’m a network engineer by trade, so I’d love something a little more “enterprise grade.” I can get a pretty good discount on the hardware and licenses through the Cisco sales team I use at work.

Have some meraki stuff in a few municipal projects. Was never impressed with their wap’s, performance was nothing special and in some case lacking. Their other stuff was nice though, then Ubiquity came on the scene and offered all the same things at a cheaper price point.

The current airport network uses the IP range 10.0.1.1-10.0.1.254

Seeing as quite a lot of this is powered over Ethernet such as the Sky Q and the Apple TVs and thy are on static IPs how would I make sure that the Ethernet devices keep their IP addresses?

The setup we would have would be 1 BT router which isn’t broadcasting WiFi. One unmananged 24 PoE switch. 1 time capsule for backups and storage and 2/3 UniFo AP Pros with a cloud key. 

Would I just need to turn off WiFi on the time capsule and would Yh APs then still use the 10.0.1.x IP addresses if setup as DHCP?

Im new to networking so excuse the what may be stupid questions. 

Thanks

Archived