C4 Forums | Control4

WiFi Solutions

I also use Ubiquiti networking gear.  I use static IPs - my USG (aka router) is 192.168.1.1 and my WAPs are 192.168.1.2-6.  I like to have them set as static particularly if there are any configuration issues.  I have a very large house, at least footprint wise.  On my main floor I have three APs - one at each end of the house and one close to the middle.  In the basement I have another AP in my TV room.  I have an outdoor AP on my pool cabana as well.

I run the Docker version of the Ubiquiti controller on my unRAID server.  And I also use the app on my iPad and iPhone.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don’t i need to ensure they are static IPs? For example the controllers etc. 

If your not changing your router then Ethernet stuff that already has a static IP will continue to do so.

If you change routers that’s when it will become a bigger job.

I get the cost savings and ease of keeping your current router, personally I’d swap it out for a UniFi USG Pro. Management all on the same platform is so much easier and the router has better options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, cdepaola said:

If your not changing your router then Ethernet stuff that already has a static IP will continue to do so.

If you change routers that’s when it will become a bigger job.

I get the cost savings and ease of keeping your current router, personally I’d swap it out for a UniFi USG Pro. Management all on the same platform is so much easier and the router has better options.

So that would mean replacing the BT router right? The Airport Time Capsule would just stay as a storage only device? What config would be needed on the USG then?

Does the USG emit WiFi?

Is your BT device a router or a gateway that is both a DSL (or perhaps cable) modem and a router?  I am guessing that it is a gateway but you will want to disable the router functionality as you will be using the USG for the router capabilities.  The USG does not emit wifi - for that you will need the Wireless Access Points (or WAPs).  You will likely also need switch(es) if you don't already have them as you will want to hardwire the WAPs and possibly other devices as well.  Hopefully your house has network wiring to the places where you will be putting your WAP(s).

Hi

Ive order 3 APs, 1 cloud key and 1 Netgear high speed modem  

What im planning on doing is removing the BT smart hub and using the modem and then the time capsule as the router. 

Quesuom is, would this mean the Ethernet decides need to be reconfigured or would that be ok as it is now?

I believe the current configuration is bt hub -> time capsule -> switches. 

I figure if I just replace the hub with a modem it should all be fine and just remove the double NAT problem we have (and also get rid of all BT devices). 

I would then plug the cloud key into the switch, the APs around the house and set them up. 

Id then switch off the wireless on the time capsule and existing airport expresses and that should have everything good to go I believe?

My main question is whether replacing the BT hub with a model would cause problems to the Ethernet devices. 

Thanks!

Hi
Ive order 3 APs, 1 cloud key and 1 Netgear high speed modem  
What im planning on doing is removing the BT smart hub and using the modem and then the time capsule as the router. 
Quesuom is, would this mean the Ethernet decides need to be reconfigured or would that be ok as it is now?
I believe the current configuration is bt hub -> time capsule -> switches. 
I figure if I just replace the hub with a modem it should all be fine and just remove the double NAT problem we have (and also get rid of all BT devices). 
I would then plug the cloud key into the switch, the APs around the house and set them up. 
Id then switch off the wireless on the time capsule and existing airport expresses and that should have everything good to go I believe?
My main question is whether replacing the BT hub with a model would cause problems to the Ethernet devices. 
Thanks!
Double nat is a whole nother problem you never mentioned. Oy. Your network is a mess. If you are leaving the tc and it's doing dhcp nothing to change. But you will still have performance problems. You need a good router

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Double nat is a whole nother problem you never mentioned. Oy. Your network is a mess. If you are leaving the tc and it's doing dhcp nothing to change. But you will still have performance problems. You need a good router

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yeah Double NAT isnhappening bdxzuse the BT smart hub doesn’t have a modem only mode so it and the TC are both doing DHCP and NAT. 

Now hopefully with the Netgear DM200 it can act as a modem only and the TC won’t have double NAT issues. 

As for upgrading the router it is something I want to do but not yet because I’d rather get the rest working first. What configuration would be needed exactly and is there anywhere on the TC I can see what configuration will need to be moved over?

Yeah Double NAT isnhappening bdxzuse the BT smart hub doesn’t have a modem only mode so it and the TC are both doing DHCP and NAT. 
Now hopefully with the Netgear DM200 it can act as a modem only and the TC won’t have double NAT issues. 
As for upgrading the router it is something I want to do but not yet because I’d rather get the rest working first. What configuration would be needed exactly and is there anywhere on the TC I can see what configuration will need to be moved over?
Honestly in my opinion you need help at this point. Forum based directions will only get you so far.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Agree with msgreenf, you need a professional to help you. Your concept of how you’ll fix things is a bit flawed. A good router is important in getting everything fixed, not just a few WAP’s and a cloud key. The netgear router purchase really was a waste, imho.

1 minute ago, cdepaola said:

Agree with msgreenf, you need a professional to help you. Your concept of how you’ll fix things is a bit flawed. A good router is important in getting everything fixed, not just a few WAP’s and a cloud key. The netgear router purchase really was a waste, imho.

Yeah I’ve swapped the Netgear router for a Draytek Virgo 130 modem which will connect to the time capsule temporarily until I can get a USG in. I just need to figure out what IPs need to be set as static before making the switch to the USG.

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an update - I got the 3 UAPs and the Draytek Vigor Modem. 

Line -> modem -> time capsule —> switch -> UAPs

thats the current network setup with the time capsule not broadcasting WiFi. I’m hoping to get the time capsule replaced with the USG next week when the dealer is onsite working on the cinema room upgrades. 

Do you think making that router change will affect anything much? We do currently have lags around the house, for example with lighting etc. Could the USG possibly reduce if not eliminate that lag and improve the general C4 experience?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Shivam Paw said:

Just as an update - I got the 3 UAPs and the Draytek Vigor Modem. 

Line -> modem -> time capsule —> switch -> UAPs

thats the current network setup with the time capsule not broadcasting WiFi. I’m hoping to get the time capsule replaced with the USG next week when the dealer is onsite working on the cinema room upgrades. 

Do you think making that router change will affect anything much? We do currently have lags around the house, for example with lighting etc. Could the USG possibly reduce if not eliminate that lag and improve the general C4 experience?

Thanks

yes, the router is the heart of network and routes everything...

16 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

yes, the router is the heart of network and routes everything...

Ok thanks. Do you or anyone have some hard numbers or facts as to why the time capsule is poor for Control4 houses? Like, I know it is, most people say so but is there specific something about it?

Thanks for all your help with this!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so we finished this off and it seems to be working pretty well. Are there any settings in particular I’d want to use to make sure everything runs smoothly? I’ve got 3 APs spread about both 2ghz and 5ghz with non overlapping channels. Is there anything else that would be useful for C4?

• 2 months later...

Oh dear! I just realised my main switch which goes from the USG to all C4 equipment and another switch which then goes to a patch panel is 10/100...

Would upgrading to a gigabit be needed at this point? Like, would it help with all the LAN speeds etc. or would it be pretty much useless?

If it’s necessary, anyone know of some reasonably priced gigabit 16 port switches with some POE ports?

Archived