C4 Forums | Control4

Controller becomes unresponsive 5x a day.

My EA-3 began going offline about five times a day. IP scan can’t find it. Zigbee network also lost. (Very inconvenient) 

things that have changed recently:

4 used sr-250 added 

Programming LED commanding

Programming an announcement or two

Power cycle fixes problem

is it possible to make a mistake in programming that could knock a controller offline ?

43 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Yes. Never use delays. Use timers

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yikes, I use delays all the time such as when I am leaving for example, delay will shut off any audio zones and such.  I didn't realize this would cause a lag other than to momentarily pause the programming that is currently running.  

does this just cause system lag, or does it completely shut down any Control4 actions/programming?

Yikes, I use delays all the time such as when I am leaving for example, delay will shut off any audio zones and such.  I didn't realize this would cause a lag other than to momentarily pause the programming that is currently running.  
does this just cause system lag, or does it completely shut down any Control4 actions/programming?
It's a delay. It delays everything that could happen at the same time.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, drmark12pa said:

Will a delay command delay the entire system from responding or just a delay in further actions in that command set?

A delay command in Control4 Composer programming will *not* delay the entire system from responding.  There is nothing wrong with using Composer programming delays.

A busy delay (looping, etc.) in *Lua Driver Code* can / does delay the entire system from responding.

Typically, if you're seeing long delays and Director being unresponsive for a long lag, the first place to look is drivers for 3rd-party products.

RyanE

You can easily test this and see that it doesn't cause a delay in the system.

Program 2 buttons on a keypad:

Button 1:

• Turn Light On
  • Delay 30 seconds
  • Turn Light Off

Button 2:

• Toggle Light 2

Now, press Button 1... Note light 1 turns on.  While within the 30 second delay, press button 2.  Light 2 toggles as expected, press it as many times as you want, the light continues to toggle.  30 seconds after the first press of button 1, the light will go off.

RyanE

3 minutes ago, RyanE said:

You can easily test this and see that it doesn't cause a delay in the system.

Program 2 buttons on a keypad:

Button 1:

• Turn Light On
  • Delay 30 seconds
  • Turn Light Off

Button 2:

• Toggle Light 2

Now, press Button 1... Note light 1 turns on.  While within the 30 second delay, press button 2.  Light 2 toggles as expected, press it as many times as you want, the light continues to toggle.  30 seconds after the first press of button 1, the light will go off.

RyanE

To expand on this, after pressing button 1 and starting that 30 second delay button 1 will not be responsive again until that delay has passed.  So while it doesn't delay entire systems it can "lock up" certain actions.  I've never found a good reason to use a delay of longer than a few seconds. Timers make more sense at that point.

Archived