C4 Forums | Control4

Sonos pausing in one room when a different room changes state

I'm at wits end, tried everything I know.  I have a TV using a connect amp, auto-playing whenever the TV generates audio in my Kitchen.  This arrangement worked for a very long time.  Without changing anything, other than perhaps a driver auto upgrade, whenever the BASEMENT changes state, say pressing the control4 button, the audio in the kitchen pauses.  I can immediately restart the audio from any Sonos app.  I have looked everywhere I can to find a link between the two rooms.  I'm using the endorsed Sonos driver (58).  The Sonos players players are communicating via the Sonosnet.  I have removed all the Sonos drivers and re-installed them.  Best I can tell, the Sonos in the Kitchen receives a pause command upon a state change in the basement system.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to trouble shoot this would be greatly appreciated.

I just discovered the audio stream in the kitchen stops if any other room starts.  In other words, I just started the TV in the Bedroom, the Kitchen audio stopped, Laundry room Sonos starts (via C4), The kitchen stops.  I also tried starting a different room with the Sonos App, it stoped the Kitchen.

The Kitchen is a Connect:Amp, and is configured for non-compressed audio to maintain Lip Sync.  I beginning to wonder if this is just too much for the Sonos Network?  I requested help from Sonos, which in my experience has fantastic support.  I've sent several Sonos diagnostics to them.  They said they could see C4 Pause commands being issued to the kitchen device.  Is there a way to log or see what commands are being issued to the kitchen Sonos device?  Better yet, from where?  This is so frustrating, as this same setup worked fine for probably a year, and them this behavior started.

Thanks again for any advice on trouble shooting. 

Reinstallation of the drivers (both network and per-room) was attempted all ready.  Was using ver. 58 of the endorsed driver, they were removed, pulled the drivers down again, reinstalled, the bindings were re-established.  No change.  Since then, I discovered the problem was broader than I originally knew.  We found that a state change in any Sonos device silences the Kitchen TV.  This can be a changed caused by C4, or from the Sonos App.  Strangely, making changes only affects the Kitchen system.  I believe (guessing) this is because the Kitchen system is operating un-compressed, and it just can't take anything else happening.  (This is just a guess of course)  I also directly connected the kitchen connect amp to ethernet and tried it with, and without, the WiFi enabled on that device.  I also took another system off the Sonosnet WiFi to ethernet.  My guess as to why this happened after working correctly for nearly a year is that a Sonos software upgrade is the culprit.  Again, I can't prove that, but it's the only thing that changed in the system near the time we noticed the problem.

I think it's just time to dump the entire Sonos system, and sadly, I have a lot of it.  Looking back, it's been the source of 90% of my problems since I started using C4.  Workaround after workaround, then they change something, and it starts over again.

Thanks for the reply.  Will have the dealer check for corruption, but they replaced the drivers once when I thought it was random.  It actually took me a while to find out other activity was related to the audio stopping.  Do you run with any uncompressed audio?

This is a bug with version 58 of the Sonos driver I discovered and reported to C4 a few weeks ago. I think it relates to the new 'Send Pause When Not In Use'  functionality of the driver. Just disable this and all will work fine again.

C4 have acknowledged the issue and are working on it.

Thanks so much!  That seems to have done the trick.  If I may ask another question, I also have a problem where all of my Sonos rooms do not show up on my navigators.   In other words, I have a room with two play 5's in my Laundry room.  When I go to "Zones", say to add the room, it is simply not there.  Any ideas on this would be very much appreciated!

Thank you again for the work-around on the disappearing audio!

If change rooms on the navigator in the kitchen to "Laundry", The Sonos shows up.  If I go to zones in Laundry, I can see all of the other zones, unlike what I see in the kitchen.  However, when I try to play it, it just shows a box requesting the name of a music service.  I have divers in one room for Pandora, My Music, etc., but not in the Laundry room. 

I suspect it will be because the Laundry Room Sonos is not set to be visible under the other room's Music sub menu.

For example, see here for a project I did a while ago, in the Living Room only the Living Room Sonos is visible under the main music Listen list, however all other Sonos zones are still visible under the Music sub menu which is where I think the Zones menu gets it's available zone list from. See below for examples:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ke5w6n4acid1bex/Screenshot 2017-10-17 14.36.16.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7my4oo71uo93jq/Screenshot 2017-10-17 14.39.07.png?dl=0

Archived