C4 Forums | Control4

Ceiling mount Amazon Dot/Speaker and Amp Product

bsanf3

I have seen this and it looks cool, but wouldn't a better solution be to have a much smaller Echo that only has mikes and not a speaker?  In this application you are only using the Echo as a microphone as the speaker output is wired up to an amp - surely there is a better way to do this?

On 13/10/2017 at 4:02 PM, zaphod said:

I have seen this and it looks cool, but wouldn't a better solution be to have a much smaller Echo that only has mikes and not a speaker?  In this application you are only using the Echo as a microphone as the speaker output is wired up to an amp - surely there is a better way to do this?

Probably not with existing hardware. Origin Acoustics are unlikely to make their own bespoke version of a Dot without the built in speaker and Amazon are unlikely to build a bespoke version of the Dot just so it looks neater when used with Origin's genius Valet amplifier idea. 

The other problem that I see with this is obsolescence.  The Echo is very early in its life cycle and changes in form factor for the Echo Dot are very likely.  So that means that you may need to retrofit the unit if you want to use a newer Dot that is a different size or Origin will have to redo their mount to hold the new version of the Echo Dot.  The good thing is that the cords are unlikely to change with the possible exception of moving from a microUSB to a USB-C connector.

35 minutes ago, zaphod said:

The other problem that I see with this is obsolescence.  The Echo is very early in its life cycle and changes in form factor for the Echo Dot are very likely.  So that means that you may need to retrofit the unit if you want to use a newer Dot that is a different size or Origin will have to redo their mount to hold the new version of the Echo Dot.  The good thing is that the cords are unlikely to change with the possible exception of moving from a microUSB to a USB-C connector.

Not going to be a major issue there, the zip-clip frame and a grille which they use for their speakers, which the Origin Echo Dot mount is based only retails for about $25, so I don't see it as a an expensive proposition to change the mount to fit a newer and differently shaped Echo Dot product.

Archived