C4 Forums | Control4

Dimming a Lighting Scene

LBW

Hi....I am trying to program a button that can dim a lighting scene.  I want to be able to press and hold the button as the lighting scene dims higher and lower.  How can I do that?  Have asked my dealer and they are not sure.  Can someone help?  Thanks!!

7 hours ago, LBW said:

Hi....I am trying to program a button that can dim a lighting scene.  I want to be able to press and hold the button as the lighting scene dims higher and lower.  How can I do that?  Have asked my dealer and they are not sure.  Can someone help?  Thanks!!

You need a new dealer! This is C4 101! 

OP,

Create an Advanced Lighting scene and create a toggle scene for it by pressing the "Create Default" button in the Toggle Scene setting (The Off scene).

Note: When creating the default scene; if you don't see it listed, press F5 to refresh the project. 2.10 has a bug where variables or scenes will not display and a refresh will fix it.

In bindings, bind the keypad button to the Toggle connection of the On scene.

Press and hold will now raise or lower the scene.

So all of these steps have been followed. I spoke with control 4 and they said to follow the same steps. They did it in their office and it worked. I am using 2.91 and have the dimmers from 2012. I also have Alexa integration. But still I cannot get a button to press and hold dim an advanced lighting scene.

Any additional thoughts or things to try?

16 hours ago, eddy.trochez said:

2.10 has a bug where variables or scenes will not display and a refresh will fix it.

A little unrelated to the OP but in 2.10 sometimes a refresh doesn't work to get the newly created variable to display in the Variables Agent until exiting out of Composer and re-starting again. Hopefully that gets fixed soon. I really like the new variables agent

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-10-14 at 5:17 AM, LBW said:

So all of these steps have been followed. I spoke with control 4 and they said to follow the same steps. They did it in their office and it worked. I am using 2.91 and have the dimmers from 2012. I also have Alexa integration. But still I cannot get a button to press and hold dim an advanced lighting scene.

Any additional thoughts or things to try?

If your dimmers are from 2012 then it sounds like you have legacy devices which do not support light scene dimming. Your dealer likely tested this feature with latest generation lighting devices which were released mid 2013. You can bind your advanced lighting scenes to any keypad including legacy 3/6 button devices as described above, but only current generation dimmers will respond. If you have any Legacy dimmers in the light scene they will not.

On 10/14/2017 at 7:15 AM, dcovach said:

A little unrelated to the OP but in 2.10 sometimes a refresh doesn't work to get the newly created variable to display in the Variables Agent until exiting out of Composer and re-starting again. Hopefully that gets fixed soon. I really like the new variables agent

You need to refresh the PROJECT (not refresh navigator) - and it IS fixed with a later release of Composer.

On 11/2/2017 at 4:48 AM, SMAT said:

If your dimmers are from 2012 then it sounds like you have legacy devices which do not support light scene dimming.

This. I ran into the same issue as I have a mix of old and new lighting. This does not appear to be supported on old lighting, unless someone has a workaround that I can't find.

1 hour ago, THawes said:

This. I ran into the same issue as I have a mix of old and new lighting. This does not appear to be supported on old lighting, unless someone has a workaround that I can't find.

Older dimmers are indeed NOT supported to do this (if memory serves, it has to do with the limited available memory as advanced lighting scenes require the device itself to store info, but as said, that's off of memory from several years ago). ONLY 'gen3' or panelized lighting can do this

Archived