C4 Forums | Control4

Amazon Fire TV Stick - Slow IP control

On 3/19/2018 at 6:52 AM, sonic30101 said:

There is a free videostorm driver as well with less functionality but it does exist

Correct, that means just $40  ($35 if you buy 3 or more).  Plus our driver is quite good (mini driver support, lightning fast).  Don't forget our device also gives you an IR output you can use to control the TV or other devices.

• 6 months later...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/22/2018 at 11:59 AM, videostorm said:

Correct, that means just $40  ($35 if you buy 3 or more).  Plus our driver is quite good (mini driver support, lightning fast).  Don't forget our device also gives you an IR output you can use to control the TV or other devices.

Thanks! I have a customer with an Amazon Fire TV (not stick). We installed the dongle to the USB connection on the Amazon Fire TV and the IR USB is not recognizing the device. Is there something I missed. The Videostorm instructions are confusing.

On 3/22/2018 at 3:59 PM, videostorm said:

I have a few customer projects I'd love to use your product on, but $50 shipping to UK for a tiny $39 device, Dick Turpin would be proud.

11 hours ago, poseidonsystems said:

Thanks! I have a customer with an Amazon Fire TV (not stick). We installed the dongle to the USB connection on the Amazon Fire TV and the IR USB is not recognizing the device. Is there something I missed. The Videostorm instructions are confusing.

http://www.video-storm.com/downloads/irusb_android.htm

Does your setup match the pictures in the instructions?  If so, please file a support ticket including which step you are stuck on.

7 hours ago, Crustyloafer said:

I have a few customer projects I'd love to use your product on, but $50 shipping to UK for a tiny $39 device, Dick Turpin would be proud.

It is better to order more than one (shipping is the same for up to 5 units).  Shipping single units internationally just isn't very economical for us.

1 hour ago, videostorm said:

It is better to order more than one (shipping is the same for up to 5 units).  Shipping single units internationally just isn't very economical for us.

is there a distributor out in the UK?  Not telling you how to conduct your business but maybe you can send a whole bucket load of them out there and let a local distributor handle the shipping on their end to the local market?  May be a win/win.  Though no idea of the quantity demand for this item.  but the international shipping cost has popped up several times on these threads.

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

With a 1 second delay per button press, fat lot of good that is.

At some point we have to apportion some blame to Amazon for not allowing proper IP control by third parties. It's a shame because it's obviously possible seeing as they have their own control app for phones/tablets. It's not really anything like a full second per press in my experience, but it's not 'instant'.

All we can do is vote with our wallets, move to Apple TV or Roku (probably not Roku since it has a GUI from the 90s). But we're such a tiny market share I don't imagine Amazon bosses will lose any sleep.

I'm sticking with IR control via flirc, cost approx £20/$20 and works flawlessly.

For those that have the IRUSB, how does the new driver compare?  If you already have the IRUSB setup, any reason to switch back to the C4 IP driver?  Sounds like no since its still slow but curious if its even worth trying.

Also - I love our Roku from the 90s.  I don't care much for the interface but it just works and independent of other services - Apple & Amazon.

On 11/1/2018 at 6:24 PM, mallom said:

While the new driver uses an authenticated protocol, it still utilizes ADB debugging which will have a typical delay of .5 to 1 second for each button press.

Also, it should be noted that Videostorm IRUSB takes 10 minutes to initialize after a reboot of the FireTV/Stick. This can give the impression that it's not working if the client has to reboot the box.

20 hours ago, SY3 said:

For those that have the IRUSB, how does the new driver compare?  If you already have the IRUSB setup, any reason to switch back to the C4 IP driver?  Sounds like no since its still slow but curious if its even worth trying.

Also - I love our Roku from the 90s.  I don't care much for the interface but it just works and independent of other services - Apple & Amazon.

IRUSB is faster control. But the hardware can be unreliable, and takes forever to intialize after a reboot, +/- 10 minutes. So if client ever reboots the Fire TV, he may lose all control for 10 minutes before his remote starts working again.

I've also seen where the IRUSB has to be "allowed" multiple times, which requires using the original factory remote. 

47 minutes ago, jesseasmith said:

IRUSB is faster control. But the hardware can be unreliable, and takes forever to intialize after a reboot, +/- 10 minutes. So if client ever reboots the Fire TV, he may lose all control for 10 minutes before his remote starts working again.

I've also seen where the IRUSB has to be "allowed" multiple times, which requires using the original factory remote. 

The delay on boot is 3-5 minutes.  We have to allow time for the USB stack to finalize boot.  Android does a lot of boot related stuff in the background even after you have the home menu loaded.

If you load the app manually before the kernel auto launches our app (via USB stack), you will get the permissions dialog again.  Just don't do that (you can't do it with the c4 remote anyway :)  )

Hardware boots only occur on power loss.  It will take the rest of your system longer than 5 minutes to reliably come online anyway.

Some customers also tried using other apps to autolaunch IRUSB on boot.  That also creates the permissions dialog.  Once again, you just have to wait the 3-5 minutes for the kernel to do its full boot thing and all will be good.

Sorry for any confusion it may have caused.

Archived