C4 Forums | Control4

ShairBridge VS Apple

I've recently upgraded from 2.5.2 to 2.9.1 so I've now got access to ShairBridge.

I was previously using an Apple Airport Express to airplay Spotify, which had a 7-8 second delay between the iPhone/IPad and music playing/stopping

I was told once using ShairBridge will get rid of this delay, however it's still present.

Any ideas what causes it and how I can remove it?

Thanks.

The express is plugged into the HC800 controller. - which enabled my to use it for multiple zones.

From memory the lag was not there when I had it plugged into one receiver only.

Is the lag with ShairBridge normal?  (i'd be happy with 1 second, but 7-8 is annoying)

1 hour ago, brucecampbell said:
1 hour ago, brucecampbell said:

Why?

It is simply data travelling over a network.

There is no big lag when I airplay video from my phone to Apple TV....

With the express there are additional steps that you are not taking into consideration. The audio is going into the controller, being encoded to a digital format, then streamed out to other controllers which are decoding it. And the receiving controllers have to delay it a certain amount to make sure they are all in sync

ive installed plenty of systems and none of them have a big delay, including my own system. most of my systems usually consist of controller stereo out, to an  audio matrix to an amp. delay is just about a second or two. kids use shairbridge a lot, and I use it quite a bit to listen to my sons summer baseball games. 

only thing I can think of for you is to adjust audio delay turn on, adjust audio sensitivity, if you amp has these features.

The fastest Airplay is going direct from the Apple Airplay receiver (express, tv, etc.) directly to the amp. Or an Airplay AVR. The fastest Spotify is to go direct to a Spotify Connect AVR. If you go direct to the AVR you get full volume control right from the Spotify app or Apple Music. No app switching.

Right now I use Shairbridge via an EA-3 connected to the new Triad matrix. This feeds the C4 4-zone amp and two AVRs (each with two zones). I get the shortest delay I've seen with Shairbridge with this setup. Takes about 6 seconds only to start the stream (mostly caused by the amps powering up), then only a couple of seconds to pause/skip.

In a blind test, the audience thought Spotify Connect via the EA-3 sounded better than Spotify Connect direct to the Denon AVR. Spotify app > Airplay > Pioneer SC-65 also did not sound as rich as Spotify App > Spotify Connect > EA-3 > Triad > Pioneer SC-65.

Why I couldn't say for sure.

Airplay to the AppleTV vs. Shairbridge was a toss-up in sound quality.

I don't use an audio matrix - but have three receivers running 6 zones.

In order to feed all zones I am using audio outs from both my HC800 and HC300

based on what other people have said - I am assuming having two controllers syncing and digitizing, this is possibly where the biggest delay is.

I might remove the HC300 for testing purposes and see if the delay is reduced.

If I remove the HC300 from having any audio control - ie: remove the connection to audio in and audio out (both physically and in composer)

But leave the HC300 active to control my additional relay, contact and serial.

Would you expect the audio to speed up? or will simply having an HC300 in my project keep this delay as long as it is currently??

I've got a H-800, 3 Ubiquiti Unifi Pro APs, 1 Airport Time Capsule as the Router and a Draytek Vigor 130 Modem...and I get a 7 second lag with ShairBridge.

Also have Spotify Connect setup, it's delay is about 2 seconds which is manageable but not ideal.

Any ideas on how we can improve these ones (especially the ShairBridge one)?

1 hour ago, Shivam Paw said:

I've got a H-800, 3 Ubiquiti Unifi Pro APs, 1 Airport Time Capsule as the Router and a Draytek Vigor 130 Modem...and I get a 7 second lag with ShairBridge.

Also have Spotify Connect setup, it's delay is about 2 seconds which is manageable but not ideal.

Any ideas on how we can improve these ones (especially the ShairBridge one)?

Do you have Advanced Audio enabled?

Archived